other meats

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: other meats

Post by RRM »

abicahsoul wrote:surfclams (?) I have to google that one..
They use hot steam to remove the clam from its shell though, so that the outside layer is not entirely raw.
here's a picture:
and ama ebi.. do you eat them raw = when they are grayish.. `? because as I understand all prawn and shrimps that we buy that are pinkish have been previsouly cooked.. I am almost sure?
You are correct; its true for most prawn and shrimps.
But not for these greenland shrimps, because they are already peeled, so that you dont see the peel;
just the pinkish tail and the (somewhat) translucent body.
When the body is white, they are cooked. When the body/flesh is (somewhat) translucent, its raw.
oh, so you think I should freeze my beef first.. hmm.. ok.. e coli..
Not if you are certain about your source (up scale butcher place)
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

ah, surfclam looks great and yes I know it from sushi.. have to see where I can find it.. Have only seen it in Japanese restaurants never at fish markets.. *pouts* but I will make an investigation 8-)
hmmm... in sushi places they serve what looks like ama ebi a bit.. but in fact it is cooked, so I assumed that it was always like that..
you live in Holland right, where can you buy it.. only from Sushi places? I have to ask at the fish market about it. I haven't seen it in Japanese restaurants either.. Perhaps I can get frozen from the Japanese food store. I am sure it is delicious. :DDD
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

abicahsoul wrote: you live in Holland right, where can you buy it.. only from Sushi places?
Here you can buy the ama ebi in the chinese supermarket.
Its always frozen.
Is there a Chinatown near you?
I am sure it is delicious. :DDD
Yes, i love it.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

I have been able to locate both delicacies here in Sweden, in Asian markets. We don't really have a China town but there are a Asian markets around. It seems both those things will be very expensive. Ama ebi a pack of 20 will cost €6 as it seems.. but I am looking into it. 8)

But I want to get back to eating raw chicken and especially turkey. Turkey is considered to be a real superfood I have read. I would perhaps like to try. I am a bit sceptical - just becaused I was raised to believe raw chicken and turkey is really bad. And yes, salmonella is one risk. But I was thinkning about another risk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campylobacter
That's the reason why Swedish health authorities warn against handling of raw chicken.
Now I am just interested in hearing how you treated your chicken/turkey RRM. Did you freeze it? Did you notice anything at all weird with your tummy as an effect? I think that if I am gonna make this experiment I will go to the upscale market and buy ultrafresh and ecological, because this upscale markets only have dealers who are experts in their particular meats or fish or birds and they all take their stuff only from certain farms where they know how the animals are raised.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

abicahsoul wrote: Ama ebi a pack of 20 will cost €6 as it seems..
For that price i get 60 ama ebi.
Turkey is considered to be a real superfood I have read.
Not that i know.
Why would that be so? (what is the claim?)
I was thinkning about another risk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campylobacter
Thats relatively harmless as well.
We usually overcome this bacteria without even noticing it.
And if you get really sick, the symptoms (cramps, fever and pain, and sometimes bloody diarrhea)
typically last for 5–7 days.
I never noticed any ill effects from eating raw chicken / turkey.
Just make sure to buy from an upscale supermarket with a great turnover and a very good reputation.
That's the reason why Swedish health authorities warn against handling of raw chicken.
Indeed, all authorities do.
how you treated your chicken/turkey RRM. Did you freeze it?
No, i eat it straight from the package.
No freezing / rinsing whatsoever.
The regulations regarding handling poultry (production > supermarket) are very strict.
Did you notice anything at all weird with your tummy as an effect?
No, i never did.
Iris

Post by Iris »

RRM wrote:
abicahsoul wrote: Ama ebi a pack of 20 will cost €6 as it seems..
For that price i get 60 ama ebi.
Wow, you really have to live in Amsterdam for that, I guess..... I bought them too recently (heb ze toen in Groningen gevonden, daar zou ik immers de dag na het vorige etentje kijken :)) for the ridiculous price of 16 euro for 50 very small ama ebi...
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

I am looking into possiblities of buying larger amounts at discount, perhaps online.. but not sure yet.. And first I need to try that I like em.. But I'm sure I will. :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

You can just try them in a Japanese restaurant...
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

RRM wrote:
abicahsoul wrote:
Turkey is considered to be a real superfood I have read.
Not that i know.
Why would that be so? (what is the claim?)
Hmm, I have just read it in a number of online lists on google. It is not scientifically supported but here is an example of the rave reviews of turkey... (however they suggest non-wai treatment of the turkey :lol: ) http://greenplanetethics.com/wordpress/ ... day-treat/It is supposed to have lean protein (=lots of protein, and very little fat), lots of tryptophan, some Bvitamins, etc. Please see the claims and feel free to comment how you see it according to Wai. Based on that I can try to determine if I am gonna get me some raw turkey (from upscale place with good handling etc etc.. ).
:)

Also I want once again to ask about game meat. (SOrry I didn't get it in the other thread.) But moose/elk, reindeer, other deeer, rabbit, hare, they are all vegetarian, if the meat is handled well.. I guess there should be no different from bacterial/parasite risk point-of-view than eating beef? Or how was it? :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

abicahsoul wrote:It is supposed to have lean protein (=lots of protein
You can get good protein from animal foods (and Brazil nuts) in general. Turkey is nothing special.
The quality of turkey protein is comparable to tuna protein. Egg yolk and salmon protein quality is substantially better.
Lean protein does not mean better. It just means less fat.
People who believe that fat is bad, think that lean protein is better.
In fact, fatty protein (tuna, salmon, egg yolk) provides you with more omega 3 fats and good cholesterol.
lots of tryptophan
Actually, relative to total protein, turkey protein contains little tryptophan.
Tryptophan in mg per 10 gram protein:
180 egg yolk
144 mackerel
139 tuna
131 salmon
127 beef fillet
124 chicken
85 turkey (young animal)
80 turkey (adult animal)
, some Bvitamins, etc.
All animal foods and fruits contain B-vitamins, and also the claimed zinc and potassium.
Egg yolks contain 81 to 90% more zinc than turkey.
GreenPlanetEthics wrote:
abicahsoul wrote:Please see the claims and feel free to comment how you see it according to Wai.

"low calorie protein is essential for a healthy lifestyle."
1 gram of protein contains 4 kcal, which is the same as 1 gram of sugar.
Also I want once again to ask about game meat.
Wild game is not safe regarding parasites.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

Oki, I get it now, another food myth. :D And also thanks for the advice on game meat. Will avoid it.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I just want to verify, I could get chicken from a regular supermarket, frozen or fresh, and eat it raw without any treatment, as long as it has not expired/gone bad, assuming I've been eating eggyolks (6/day, although I'm now questioning whether they might have antibiotics in them).

oh, and if 1 gram of protein is the same energywise as 1 gram of sugar, than it would take a lot of protein for someone to keep their energy up on a low-carb diet, right? Which I assume would be unhealthy and expensive.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

As far as I know those diets tend to be high-fat as well, which means people on such a diet often go into a state of ketosis, where a bigger part of the energy comes from ketone bodies (from fatty acids).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:I just want to verify, I could get chicken from a regular supermarket, frozen or fresh, and eat it raw without any treatment, as long as it has not expired/gone bad
You need to buy the chicken at not just any supermearket,
but at a high-end supermarket with a very good reputation, and a big turnover of chicken. (so that what you buy is always fresh)
I'm now questioning whether they might have antibiotics in them
Most meat commercially available contains antibiotics. Cooked or raw.
If you are worried about antibiotics, buy the organic chicken (at that high-end supermarket)
it would take a lot of protein for someone to keep their energy up on a low-carb diet, right?
For every gram of sugar that one is not consuming, it has to be replaced by one gram of protein,
or half a gram of fat.
Protein is far more expensive than sugar indeed.