Red Meat

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by RRM »

halfgaar wrote:
The cattle from that farm, are they shipped to a butcher? Or are they slaughtered on sight?
I hope they are not slaughtered on sight, but on site, otherwise their livestock diminished very rapidly :)
he he :lol:
halfgaar

Post by halfgaar »

I was at the meat farm again today, so I asked them about the irradiation. They don't slaughter it themselves, but said that their meat is not irradiated.

Additionally, they said that "normal" meat is treated with "color salts" (kleurzouten), to give it that red color. They said that one of the supermarkets here wanted to sell organic meat, but only under the condition that they were able to treat it with those salts. I don't know if it worked out that way, but it appears that even when you buy organic, you can't be sure of quality...

So, it appears that having this meat farm nearby is really a gift. Perhaps "natuurmonumenten" has more of them, spread throughout the country.

BTW, they also said that everything from fruit to vegetables are irradiated... Don't know if that's true, but the fruit I eat doesn't appear to result in acne.
martianwarrior

eating muscle tissue

Post by martianwarrior »

would eating the muscle tissue/flesh of animals be considered toxic due to the fact that toxins are stored in body fat?

to what degree might this increase our own body's toxicity? considering how detoxifying the wai diet is, should i even be worried?

it's just that we live in such a toxic world and i like to avoid all that i possibly can.

i am more partial to organs (heart, kidneys, liver) anyway. when i hunt small game, i take the organs and leave the rest for the crows and foxes. so really, i'm just curious.
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
RRM
Administrator

Re: eating muscle tissue

Post by RRM »

martianwarrior wrote:would eating the muscle tissue/flesh of animals be considered toxic due to the fact that toxins are stored in body fat?
muscle tissue is not body fat.
Usually, the body fat is located just under the skin.
You can also easily recognize it, by the white colour.
So, just cut off the fat and you will be fine.
i am more partial to organs (heart, kidneys, liver) anyway. when i hunt small game, i take the organs and leave the rest for the crows and foxes. so really, i'm just curious.
The liver may contain some toxins, and (too) high levels of vitamin A.
The heart may be surrounded by some fat, but you can easily cut that off too.
(me i love raw chicken hearts)
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

muscle tissue is not body fat.
that's what i was confused about, whether or not body fat was intertwined or connected with muscle tissue.
The liver may contain some toxins, and (too) high levels of vitamin A.
so if i don't make it regular practice to eat livers, would it still be considered healthy? i mean, we are talking about wild game here, they're probably healthier than we are :lol:

how much vitamin A is too much? mostly i eat squirrel organs, so the livers are about 20-30g, i would guess.
The heart may be surrounded by some fat, but you can easily cut that off too.
yes, heart fat usually isn't very chewable and is easily separated in my mouth and spit out.

chicken hearts are great! ever try beef heart? one of my favorites.
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
coconutty

Post by coconutty »

do you buy the meat or hunt it yourself?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

martianwarrior wrote: so if i don't make it regular practice to eat livers, would it still be considered healthy? i mean, we are talking about wild game here, they're probably healthier than we are :lol:
Unfortunately, wild game may encounter quite some toxins,
so it really depends.
Sure, when they are healthy, and you dont overdo it, its healthy.
how much vitamin A is too much? mostly i eat squirrel organs, so the livers are about 20-30g, i would guess.
Ah, thats ok.
Yes, ive eaten beef heart many times, but i prefer chicken hearts
as they are softer.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

do you buy the meat or hunt it yourself?
i hunt small game(squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs) as often as i can but i'm a beginner without anyone teaching me, so it is difficult. all of my luck has been with squirrels so far.

i purchase beef hearts from a grass-fed meat stand at my local downtown market. i cut chunks of aprox. 100g and freeze them. 1 beef heart usually gives me at least 10 100g chunks. i usually eat one once a week, so it lasts me a while.
Unfortunately, wild game may encounter quite some toxins,
so it really depends.
just to note, i always inspect the liver of a fresh kill for white spots as that is a good indication that the animal has a disease or infection of some sort. if the liver looks a smooth, shiny deep red without any spots or marks, the animal is good to eat.
Iris

Post by Iris »

RRM wrote:
Yes, ive eaten beef heart many times, but i prefer chicken hearts
as they are softer.
I must admit I was a bit surprised. stupid, isn't it ;) It doesn't look very tastefull, to be honest. May be because our cats eat it too ;) But nevertheless I'm very curious, how does it taste? Is it very different from "normal" muscle tissue?
What else have you tried :lol: Ever tasted duck heart, by example? They look very similar to chicken hearts....
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

i have had duck heart, it was good. duck livers and kidneys are scrumptious. very good. :P
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

oh and just yesterday i was at my local fish monger, i asked him if they ever have salmon roe and he said no. he asked me if i was into sushi, i said sashimi. he said well if you're into sashimi, i've got something that you will love. he cracked open a sea urchin for me and let me eat it for free! :shock:

if you have never had sea urchin, you must. the one i tasted was sooo fresh tasting, a little salty, soft... a must try. it came from maine. i think i'll be going back to buy some next weekend.

btw, anyone know the protein quality for sea urchin?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Iris wrote:I'm very curious, how does it taste? Is it very different from "normal" muscle tissue?
Yes, very much.
The (mild) taste and bite is a bit like that of a small sausage (knackworstje).
What else have you tried :lol: Ever tasted duck heart, by example?
No, i havent.
I do like raw chicken, turkey, ostrich (struisvogel) and top quality veal (kalfsoester).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

martianwarrior wrote:btw, anyone know the protein quality for sea urchin?
No, its not in Souci SW or the USDA nutrient database.
It might be close to that of oysters or clams (moderately good).
Beware of the salt; eating oysters gives me big cysts, due to the high salt contents.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

I'm very curious, how does it taste? Is it very different from "normal" muscle tissue?
i guess you mean the beef heart? although i wouldn't really agree with RRM on the taste, i can't disagree since i don't really know what he means :lol:
i can't really describe it. i definitely doesn't tast beefy. it almost has a sweet taste.

when i eat it, i rip off the initial layer of shiny elastic-like fat that is usually present and pull the heart meat away from that fat with my teeth. i don't know about you guys, but the only time i use a fork is with fruit dishes tossed in EVOO.

some might think beef heart to be tough as i believe RRM stated earlier. it is hard to separate from the chunk it self and requires a bit of mouth muscle, but once in your mouth, it's not such a challenge. chicken hearts are definitely softer though.

Beware of the salt; eating oysters gives me big cysts, due to the high salt contents
will do, i'm sure that it's very high in salt as that was the first flavor i tasted. the second flavor i received from it, made me feel like i was at the beach :lol: my mouth exploded with a fresh fish taste. my description does not even do it justice. i consider it more of an occasional treat rather than a main protein source.
Iris

Post by Iris »

martianwarrior wrote:i guess you mean the beef heart? although i wouldn't really agree with RRM on the taste, i can't disagree since i don't really know what he means :lol:
A "knakworstje" is a very soft, little sausage, that "snaps" when you eat/bent it. When translated it would thus be something like "snap sausage". Or even better; "fractured sausage" :mrgreen:
It has no bite at all and is very, very salty :( They look groce too ;D