Cod filet

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by RRM »

Chin-Chin wrote:Do you know anything about cod then?
What is deep frozen? Is sticking my cod in the freezer enough to get rid of the parasites? What are the consequences?
I believe that cod that is intended to be consumed raw also needs to be deepfrozen. The used procedure is regarding herring, as by tradition the only raw fish that the dutch eat, is herring. But I guess the same procedure would be effective for cod.
The fish needs to be deepfrozen at a temperature of minus 22 degrees Celcius for at least 48 hours.
I havent come across scientific studies regarding the influence of freezing, but I do know that my skin does not like previosuly frozen fish, so there must be some effect.

A few times Ive been shown a cod-worm by the person where I buy my fish; he regularly finds worms in cod, and rarely in mackerel. Though they reside in the internal organs, they can end up on the flesh as a result of the cutting and removing the organs.
The worms that Ive seen were white, pink and brownish respectively (up to 3 cm lon), but it seems that they generally are a bit brownish, which makes it easier to spot them. Its also a good idea to cut the fish in very thin slices, so that you will always be able to spot them.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

I looked for worms today before eating the cod. But I was so paranoid that the experience was not nearly as great as my first time.

I think I'll consider freezing them?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Chin-Chin wrote:I looked for worms today before eating the cod. But I was so paranoid that the experience was not nearly as great as my first time.
Yes, of course. But as you'll get used to the searching, the paranoia will fade away, so that the experience will get better again.
Freezing makes the fish rather tasteless (which will never fade away).