Cod filet

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
Chin-Chin
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Cod filet

Post by Chin-Chin »

I just ate some cod filet for the first time!

I've befriended a fish seller who told me that cod is really good raw, and it really is delicious!

So add this to your list of fish to buy next time you go shopping!
avalon

Post by avalon »

REALLY!!! Hmmm how did it compare to tuna or salmon...can you describe it? fishy? buttery? Elmers glue? :shock:
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Hi Avalon,

Have you had cod cooked? The texture is not that much different.

The meat is white and quite fatty, although not as fatty as salmon. The flesh is very tender and melts in your mouth - makes me think of snake meat, or the fleshy parts of a crab. I also felt more full afterwards, but I'd have to confirm on that next time.
Brian
Administrator

Post by Brian »

I don't know much about cod, however there is this quote:

"Cod and herring very regularly contain much parasites, and should not be consumed raw."
http://www.13.waisays.com/fish.htm
avalon

Post by avalon »

quite frequently, if an infected fish is eaten, the parasites are simply digested with no ill effects.
wouldn't that be nice.
Roundworms are found in saltwater fish such as cod, plaice, halibut, rockfish, herring, pollock, sea bass, and flounder.
Imagine so many people on the S.A.D never having to even think about round worms etc. Oh, in fact they don't think at all :shock: heh heh.

I'm really 'thinking' of making a small light box with a glass top to cut on. I continually read about 'candeling' - holding a fish before a light to check for parasties. If you have a light box when slicing fish- seems you would have a hard time missing anything. Maybe I'll get around to it.:roll:

Has anyone had Sea Bass?
huntress

Post by huntress »

I continually read about 'candeling' - holding a fish before a light to check for parasties.
Hey! I've been doing this all this while. I didn't know it had a name to it! :o
avalon

Post by avalon »

Very instictive, huntress! :wink:
avo

Post by avo »

The simplest thing is if you already have a clear glass tabletop or desk, then just put a good light under it. But even making a small setup with a thick sheet of clear glass or plastic, a light source, plus a little elbow grease and some spare parts, is a great investment in the long run if you want to check for parasites.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Brian wrote:I don't know much about cod, however there is this quote:

"Cod and herring very regularly contain much parasites, and should not be consumed raw."
http://www.13.waisays.com/fish.htm
Hi,

It's funny because in Amsterdam, they sell a lot of raw herring sandwiches, from what I can remember. I'm going back to ask my fish seller.

Anyhow, cod tastes amazing! My favorite sashimi so far!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Chin-Chin wrote:It's funny because in Amsterdam, they sell a lot of raw herring sandwiches, from what I can remember.
Here in Holland herring is eaten in several ways. The herring is never truly raw though, because all herring is caught basically in one day, and subsequently deep frozen. Only the first barrel is kept fresh, and sold for a lot of money.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

OK,

My fisherman just clarified the question of parasites in cods. He said that there are a lot of worms in cods, but they are localized. If you only eat the flesh in filet, you will not encounter parasites. The things to watch out for are the inner skin? and the internal organs.

If anyone has complementary information, don't hesitate to tell me.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Who lives in scotland?

http://www.graigfarm.co.uk/fishcod.htm

organic farm raised parasite free cod :)
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

The photos look really appetizing. But I must say that the fillet steaks that I get are skin-free!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Actually, in Holland it is required by law that all herring needs to be deep frozen prior to consumption, to prevent possible herring worm infections.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

RRM,

Do you know anything about cod then?

What is deep frozen? Is sticking my cod in the freezer enough to get rid of the parasites? What are the consequences?