Mercury in fish

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
avo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by avo »

Sardines, eh? My folks eat tons of em, always trying to get me to have some. They only eat the 'real' stuff, must be packaged or caught in *forgot country name* (maybe Morocco?). Supposedly, most sardines are not actually sardines, but some type of small fish (Smelt?).

Anyways, I got myself a good list of some safe fish to eat, but I'd like to know what is good and tasty raw, and which ones are usually free of parasites (unlike cod, for example).

Yellowtail Snapper is actually pretty good, pollutants-wise. Not much mercury, the only bad thing is the ecology factor: they are caught when breeding, and also cause lots of bycatch. Tastes great, so this is a real option for me.

Black sea bass: chilean sea bass was ok, but expensive. It also tends to be traded and caught illegally, being found near Antartica and being able to fetch a good price in the international market. It also is high in mercury, unlike black sea bass. So, hopefully is black sea bass tastes better than the chilean raw, then we have another potential winner.

Halibut: No idea. Pretty safe though (Pacific). Atlantic is a no-no.

Florida Pompano: No idea. Safe, and local. AKA 'butterfish', so it must be good! I'll give it a try soon.

MahiMahi: No idea. Safe, local, eco friendly, supposedly pretty good. We shall find out soon enough.

Scallops: No idea. Did you try them yet avalon?

Pollock: Safe, cheap?

Steelhead trout: ?

Any input is appreciated.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Thank you Avo, your input is MUCH appreciated.
Maybe we should create a raw fish / sashimi page that lists all that...
Oscar?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Got it. Corinne? ;)
avalon

Post by avalon »

No scallops yet avo, but I'm off to NYC for a weeklong visit and will be staying with a Japanese friend who certainly loves Sashimi and to try new things. Of course along with this comes the temptation for a NYC Falafel and then there's the Indian ALL YOU CAN EAT Buffet!!!

Every day and in every wai I'm getting better and better :D
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

HUnh Oscar? Someone said my name?
corinne was busy fishing with her head in the sand...
Oh I see now! Does this mean i include this info as a sub-thing to my article?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yep! ;)
avo

Mercury warnings.... a hoax?

Post by avo »

http://www.fishscam.com/

Please read through the site thoroughly before discussing it here.

It convinced me... perhaps because I want it to all be true?
avalon

Post by avalon »

avo wrote:
Scallops: No idea. Did you try them yet avalon?
Hey avo and all you fish-mongers 8) well, Though I find myself in the midst of diet upheaval(no, not bulimia)- uncertainty, I guess I'm just not ready to give up seafood- so tonight I'd planned to get a tuna and salmon roll sushi fix from the local supermarket. Not an ideal solution, but it works when needed. And there were no good sushi choices, however there were fresh scallops and I almost missed them...

I bought eight of them for a little under $5.00. They looked bright and clean and I could hear them calling for me to eat them!

I do often use a soy dip(munch food) for my sashimi, and didn't much care for the soy on scallops. I squeezed lemon on them and think I prefered it. I want to bathe them in something creamy and buttery! I know, NO DAIRY! Well, I am quite pleased with their taste without additives, that is. No heavy bottom of the sea taste Thank God. Am I the only one who hates raw clams? And I love that they are low in mercury!

I think a ceviche might be the best idea so to make a wonderful salad of it. It was really nice to try something new :D
avo

Post by avo »

Hey there,

Next time you go to a sushi place or Japanese restaurant, order a seafood sunomono salad. I think you will really like it, and the only munch items in them are salt, parboiled shrimp/octopus/squid, and ponzu or soy sauce. The other ingredients are fine, so you may enjoy it as a half-way point.

Anyways, I am having some fresh scallops tonight. They were 13.99 per pound! They better be divine... :roll:

Just to keep you updated avalon, my write up is progressing nicely. No certain deadline, as I'm continuously adding things, so maybe a little more than a week or so.
gianni

Post by gianni »

I am currently detoxing heavy metals, and when I eat cooked fish I get a recurrence of some of my symptoms; but when I eat it raw, that doesn't happen. The symptoms that are the easiest to notice are depression and the same thought continually running through my mind. I don't know if I would have realized what was going on if I hadn't read that Aajonus V. says that the mercury in raw fish isn't dangerous.

I have eaten prefrozen raw fish over the past week, and it doesn't seem to cause the same symptoms as when it is cooked, but I am going to try to take notice if it causes some less noticable symptoms. I don't want to eat prefrozen at all, but I think some of the sushi restaurants sell previously frozen. This past week I was still concerned about parasites. I am going to try to learn how to look for them myself and find only raw fish.

gianni
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

gianni wrote:The symptoms that are the easiest to notice are depression and the same thought continually running through my mind.
Depression is linked to many other aspects, including beta-carbolines that are formed due to cooking (thus also cooked fish).
Aajonus V. says that the mercury in raw fish isn't dangerous.
What is his reasoning, in a nut shell?
avalon

Post by avalon »

From an A.V. Interview:
I recommend only ocean wild-caught raw fish, not farmed, except oysters, clams and scallops. I suggest all varieties including Swordfish, which has the highest mercury content. When digested and made bioactive by plankton and eaten by fish, traces of mercury are great detoxifiers of toxic mercury in the body. Bioactive and non-cauterized mercury in raw fish helps buoyancy of fish. When fish are cooked, mercury and other metallic minerals become free-radicals and toxic.

I have noted in my clients, a continual rise in nausea and vomit from eating freshwater fish, especially freshwater-caught salmon, catfish and sturgeon. Freshwater fish have a greater number of toxins because our fresh waters are approximately 30% polluted. Our oceans are approximately 4% polluted. I do not eat freshwater fish unless I catch it in a non-polluted lake. There are very few non-polluted lakes left in the USA because of the pollution created by water-sport vehicles, agricultural chemicals, and agricultural and mining waste.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Thanks.
gianni

Post by gianni »

RRM wrote: Depression is linked to many other aspects, including beta-carbolines that are formed due to cooking (thus also cooked fish).
It's true that what I am noticing may not necessarily be caused by mercury exposed to cooking. It's true that it could be caused by the beta-carbolines. I suppose I was just hoping that it meant that the mercury in raw fish wasn't dangerous. And A.V. does not footnote his information, so there is no way to know what that is based on.

I would just like to say here, even though it's a little bit off subject, that I was always very impressed by Wai's care in annotating sources of information. But when I was thinking about Aajonus' book, it made me appreciate her diligence even moreso.

Thanks again, RRM, for your advice. And avalon, thanks for posting that information by A.V.

gianni
avalon

Post by avalon »

Thanx back to youse!

A.V's stance would be reasurring if there was real evidence to back it up. We certainly know there have been tests done at sushi joints that weren't pretty mercury wise, but that isn't testing the sushi once in our bodies.