about lovely salmon when you can find it

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
candela
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

about lovely salmon when you can find it

Post by candela »

i just had to say one little thing...

before wai i was all about all kinds of sushi; if there was any kind of food i loved to eat a lot of and feel good about, it was the crazy rolls and all the succulent tongue shaped fans of sashimi.

this diet has made me extremely anal about food (what i wash my dishes with, that my cutting board not touch bad food, etc. you know the drill, i'm sure). a friend of mine who worked at a good sushi place told (and scared me) that most sushi places indeed flash freeze their fish.

i wrote an article once about this guy who wholesaled sushi to all the biggest places in my city, and even his fish was flash frozen. i was extremely discouraged and untrusting. from him i used to buy the fish that i put in my rolls and or ate alone with soy and with wasabi. my friend even said that many sushi places will lie to you and deny their frozen fish was ever freezed.

EXCEPT, for fishmongers...

yesterday for the first time in months and months, for the first time in my life, actually, i ate unfrozen fresh salmon from a fish seller. it looked different from the sushi i'd been served before- it wasn't as pink and bright, and it wasn't tasteless (when in the past i had associated tastelessness with freshness). it tasted like fish but was not fishy. it blushed but it was not magenta. and OH MY GOD the rush i felt even in my sinews from eating, just a bit, of this fatty flush of life. the taste was clearer and i was quickly satisfied, noting a different hue of energy than that one gained from egg yolk.

honestly i was going to pass when, seeing my old time sushi friend yesterday, he said lets make sushi. but i'm glad i gave it a try anyway because it made me realize that of all the things i'm disallowed to eat right now- the one that was my favorite now tastes improved.

i hope you don't find this picture tasteless, but yesterday i felt as lucky as the bear.

-candela Image
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Sounds good! :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yeah, lots of sashimi in restaurants is not even raw. The other day I got scallops that were slightly fried, and the chef said, "yes, but its still raw..."
nick

Post by nick »

Ha!
100% is the only way for it to be, thus raw should include that it's definition.

What did you do?
I find when stuff like that happens, it's a win or loss situation as they will think your 'crazy' or mental about food.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

When fish is caught offshore it is packed in ice.
Agent

Post by Agent »

RRM wrote:Yeah, lots of sashimi in restaurants is not even raw. The other day I got scallops that were slightly fried, and the chef said, "yes, but its still raw..."
Hahaha! My brother is a chef and he always annoys me with comments like that. He tells me his place sells raw fish... Then proceeds to tell me how it's cooked :? :evil:

I'm so glad someone else has had this :roll:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

nick wrote:What did you do?
Well, experience has taught me that before I order anything, I take the time to thoroughly explain them over and over again that "I really only want slices of raw fish, with nothing added, no salt, no spices whatsoever etc. That it needs to be really raw, so now cooking, no frying, no steaming, no nothing. Just fish. Really raw fish. Only slices of just raw fish."
Then I ask them which ones on the menu are really raw that are available right now.
Then they say: "sashimi is always raw".
Then I say: "This lobster is not".
Then the waiter says: "That is always the case with lobster".
Then I say: "Sure, but its not raw".
Then I make my choice, while asking again "so this is really raw fish, not heated, salted or spiced in any way?".

And then they serve you slightly fried scallops.
Then I say: "these are not really raw, since slightly fried".
"I want fish that has not been heated in any way, not even for a second".
Then I send back the scallops, and I finally get other fish that is really raw.

All the time Im being polite "Japanese style".
Polite, and smiling :D , but insisting. :x
nick

Post by nick »

The politics of ordering raw fish, really raw fish!
Then they sometimes will add stuff to it like a ginger soy sauce.
But that's if you go to a place that isn't a sushi bar, but they still have raw fish.

It's so hard to just get a simple plain peice of raw fish sometimes.