What cooking method causes least damage?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

What cooking method causes least damage?

Post by johndela1 »

If for what ever reason I had to have cooked fish or meat would boiling be the least damaging way to cook it being that water can't get hotter than 100 c?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, its better than frying or baking, but steaming is even a little less harmful than cooking in water, I believe.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

steam is hotter than boiling water

Water does conduct heat better though. If I take two piece of frozen salmon of equal size and place one in a bot of boiling water and the other in a steamer, the boiled piece will cook much faster than the steamed
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:If I take two piece of frozen salmon of equal size and place one in a bot of boiling water and the other in a steamer, the boiled piece will cook much faster than the steamed
OK, so there you go.
haraldsmith

Post by haraldsmith »

what about pressure cooking?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Water gets to a higher temperature under pressure. Water boils at 100c at normal pressure. Under pressure you can get much hotter temps, that is why pressure cookers cook faster. Depending on the pressure you can get water to very high temps.

When I need to cook my salmon, I put it in a glass, then pour in boiling water. Let it sit for 10 min or so. It comes out barely cooked on the outside, but still raw in the middle. Some people I know wont eat it totally raw, but will eat it like this.
haraldsmith

Post by haraldsmith »

so when pressure cookers claim to retain more nutrients, is this false?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

That depends on what your talking about. since your not boiling the food things wont get leeched into the water, then poured down the drain.

But some nutrients are destroyed by heat. I'd say in this area it does more damage.

Keep in mind that comment is a marketing pitch as well.

If you had too cook fish, I don't think your pouring too many nutrients away when boiling it but causing more damage from the heat.