wasabi kills mouth bacteria?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
haraldsmith
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

wasabi kills mouth bacteria?

Post by haraldsmith »

is it a good idea to take in a little bit of wasabi to kill any mouth bacteria when eating salmon?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Not a good idea.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Why would you want to kill mouth bacteria?
haraldsmith

Post by haraldsmith »

well i never knew anything about the wasabi, and i wasn't eating it with my salmon, someone saw me just eating the salmon and made a remark that hte wasabi kills bacteria..
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I don't think wasabi kills bacteria anyway.
avalon

Post by avalon »

ehem,
Wasabi is a long standing tradition in Japan and Japanese restaurants everywhere. On the sushi, with the sushi or, sashimi... and it is believed to help kill parasites. I don't know about mouth bacteria :)

http://www.eugeneciurana.com/musings/su ... l#l_wasabi

For many years that is the only way I knew of eating sushi/sashimi was with some wasabi either on the fish, or mixed into the soy sauce. I prefer mixing some wasabi into my dipping sauce. It gives it a kick and a schnazzle- POW!

But then, there is wasabi and wasbi. Most wasabi is really horse radish with coloring, so be on the look out.

Avalon :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Belief is not really helpful.
The question: do you need wasabi.
Answer: no, absolutely not.
Question: is wasabi included in this diet
answer: no. And as a munch food, it is a bad one.

If you are looking for a kick and a schnazzle, dont try this diet.
With a normal diet however, you can get all the kicks and schnazzles that you need (hot peppers, salt, taste enhancers etc etc).
avalon

Post by avalon »

haralsmith wrote:
well i never knew anything about the wasabi

RRM wrote:
If you are looking for a kick and a schnazzle, dont try this diet.

haraldsmith wrote that he knew nothing of wasabi. All I did was tell him a little more than he might already know. I'm not trying to get any one to do anything. But I am relating my experience. You know, I also use Organic Shoyu.

Maybe we should take a poll to see how many people eat their raw fish plain or with some kind of flavoring.

I agree Wasabi would be a munch food. But some would argue its badness. The wasabi you could buy in tubes would be truly processed and 'bad'.

RRM:
The question: do you need wasabi.
Answer: no, absolutely not.
Question: is wasabi included in this diet
I agree we don't need wasabi.

Is wasabi included in this diet? I would say yes if you believe anything Wai wrote about munch foods being 'allowed'. It's most likely healthier than cottage cheese, yes? Or ice Cream? Which 'IS' allowed as a munch food.

Avalon
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avalon wrote:Is wasabi included in this diet? I would say yes if you believe anything Wai wrote about munch foods being 'allowed'. It's most likely healthier than cottage cheese, yes?
I'm sorry, but its not included.
This diet is not just about health. The diet was originally designed for acne and cellulite in particular, and wasabi (like hot peppers etc) makes you retain water and was therefore excluded from the diet.
Munch foods are 'bad' foods that do no have a that much of an influence on health or water retention. So wasabi is not considered a good mumch food.
avalon wrote:Maybe we should take a poll to see how many people eat their raw fish plain or with some kind of flavoring.
Polls or anyone's point of view will never change this diet.
Wasabi is not included in the diet, and not a good munch food.
nick

Post by nick »

Well said RRM!

But I wonder how many people like to spice their fish up?
Honestly, eating super fresh raw tuna or salmon is in my mind superior because it satisfies a deep carnal desire and adding a spice would seem to take away from that satisfaction.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

So far I haven't spiced up my food at all, but I did think about adding some chives to something. So far haven't gotten around to it, but didn't miss anything either, hehe. :)
avalon

Post by avalon »

RRM Wrote:
The diet was originally designed for acne and cellulite in particular, and wasabi (like hot peppers etc) makes you retain water and was therefore excluded from the diet.
I understand this premise. But Wasabi plants aren't peppers are they? Wasabi belongs to the mustard family.

Unless I am mistaken, and please include references if you can- I've been under the impression that Wasabi helps with water retention.

Avalon :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avalon wrote:But Wasabi plants aren't peppers are they? Wasabi belongs to the mustard family.
Indeed, and they are very hot tasting seeds, similar as hot peppers.
It doesnt matter to what family they belong, but what influence they have.
I've been under the impression that Wasabi helps with water retention.
Anything hot may cause water retention.
Only if eating wasabi or hot peppers causes diarrhea, this will decrease water retention.
avalon

Post by avalon »

I like Wasabi and I don't like hot peppers for the reason Wasabi is like a quick burst in the sinuses, where peppers can break a sweat and a burning sensation that lasts and lasts.

To me they are very different. I'm not much into spicy food.

Also I don't like Wasabi on Yellow Tail or Salmon, but love it on Tuna. Maybe that's because I find Tuna a little flat tasting.
benzapp

Post by benzapp »

avalon wrote:I like Wasabi and I don't like hot peppers for the reason Wasabi is like a quick burst in the sinuses, where peppers can break a sweat and a burning sensation that lasts and lasts.

To me they are very different. I'm not much into spicy food.

Also I don't like Wasabi on Yellow Tail or Salmon, but love it on Tuna. Maybe that's because I find Tuna a little flat tasting.
I thought I would be the one to point out here that real wasabi is extremely expensive. Here in New York, I almost never see it available, even at high end Japanese stores.

Almost all wasabi sold in the US and Japan is actually made from horseradish and mustard with food coloring added to give the appearence of the real thing.

But the stuff definitely is not good for your skin. I'd rather take my chances with some liquor.