Raw Marinated Fish?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
BlueFrog
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Raw Marinated Fish?

Post by BlueFrog »

Scandinavian's sometimes eat salmon or other fish that has been marinated for several days in lemon juice and/or dill. (Here's a sample recipe: http://www.cuisine-french.com/cgi/mdc/l ... aneth.html)
Is this an acceptable substitute for sashimi? The Milliard reaction doesn't take place since there is no heat applied, but I thought that citrus and marinades in general tore apart cell walls which would create 'dirty protein'.

Being able to use this or similar recipes might make it easier (and more palatable to some) to get in that animal protein. It would mean being able to buy a pound of raw fish and prepare in a way that it would keep for a week in the refrigerator. Supposedly, the acidic environment is not favorable for parasites and it is therefore 'safer' than consuming unprepared fish.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
_ ________ _
BlueFrog
BlueFrog

Re: Raw Marinated Fish?

Post by BlueFrog »

_ ________ _
BlueFrog
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

http://www.waitalk.com/cgi-bin/bb/ultim ... 9;t=000069

Of course, in that recipe (your link) the salt and pepper is not okay
unorthoughdocks

Post by unorthoughdocks »

Lime juice marinating does not make it dirty? How can this be; if you marinated it for a day it becomes firm, just like if you smoked it. You cant notice any difference at all, so I dont see anyreason why it wouldnt be different.
BlueFrog

Post by BlueFrog »

Thanks, RRM. The link you posted is actually what made me ask in the first place. Like unorthoughdocks, I assumed that the marinating process was the same as heating. Plus, the other discussion only talked about marinating for an hour. I wasn't sure if three days of reaction would result in excessive dirty protein (the salt and pepper are optional, I just used the link as an example of this type of recipe).

Also....I've read most of what's up on the old board, but there are many items that I can't read. I was really interested to see the discussion on olives and different curing processes -- which ones are better than others, etc. But, when I use the search item it pulls up several hits, but when I click on the link it says the thread no longer exists. Is there anyway to retreive this information?

Thanks.
_ ________ _
BlueFrog
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

unorthoughdocks:
Lime juice marinating does not make it dirty?
No, that's just as digesting it with enzymes; the protein is split, but there do not originate new molecules containing damaged protein.
How can this be; if you marinated it for a day it becomes firm, just like if you smoked it.
Well, the same goes for raw meat, for example; if you let it 'ripe', it becomes 'roastbeef'-like. Looks like its propared, but its not. There is change in protein composition, but only degradation and combining of non-artifically damaged molecules. That protein is very easy to digest completely, containing only 'natural compounds', while 'dirty' protein contains molecules that are hard to break down.
BlueFrog:
I assumed that the marinating process was the same as heating
No, you can compare it with overripe fruits that start to contain alcohol.
Also....I've read most of what's up on the old board, but there are many items that I can't read. I was really interested to see the discussion on olives and different curing processes -- which ones are better than others, etc. But, when I use the search item it pulls up several hits, but when I click on the link it says the thread no longer exists. Is there anyway to retreive this information?
Hmm, I really don't know, but maybe Brian knows.
You can send him a private message if he doesn't read this.
Brian
Administrator

Post by Brian »

Hi Bluefrog,
I have only personally noticed this once.
I didn't take the time to track down the issue, but I suspect it is either deleted, moved, or renamed threads/posts.

When I ran into the issue I browsed the forum the post was in and found the posts I wanted.

Have you noticed this to be a big problem?

You can also use Google to search the forums: enter "site:waitalk.com fruit" to e.g. search for "fruit".

P.S. I've been half thinking about asking Wai and RRM if I can make a copy of the board, convert it to a plain-HTML format, and use standard search tools to find things in it. Because the UBB software is quite slow at searching.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, Brian, could you please make a html copy of the board?
I believe there's still plenty of space to publish that copy on WaiTalk.com
Maybe you can put such a google search 'thing' on it as well (as many sites have)?
Hmm, maybe we should have one on WaiSays.com as well (as it's sometimes hard for people 'to find stuff')?
BlueFrog

Post by BlueFrog »

Thanks a bunch. I found the olive threads. Out of 33 hits only a few were active. But, the more I read, the more questions I have, lol.
_ ________ _
BlueFrog
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Antibiotics...I had to take a course of them this week...rats!...anyway...I know that I can't continue with the egg yolks and sashimi but I wondered about ceviche (without the spices) like mentioned above? anyone know?...RRM?
help me :p I read that you should use sushi grade fish for the ceviche so it made me wonder about the bacteria ,ya know?...I don't want to eat cooked meat...it doesn't even sound appetizing to me really.
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

I realize that I can eat a variety of fruits and dried fruits and brazil nuts for the protein I need but was still wondering about the ceviche :cool:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Well, if you have been eating raw animal for quite a few years, you defense system has so much adapted to it, that even antibiotics wount put you at risk. And you have been eating raw animal food for years now, right Lyn?
Just make sure to eat FRESH raw fish / yolks (more than before).
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

:) Hi RRM!

Umm...unfortunately no...I went off the diet for quite some time then my skin (slowly but surely) became horrible again and so I knew that I needed to get back to the diet (How wonderful and what a huge difference to be able to do something about it instead of feeling helpless)and that was only just several months back...bummer...I love the sashimi and my skin can handle a good amount of it too (like yours) ...which is nice...so ya think I should back off the yolks and fish for now?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

If I were you, I would gradually start eating them again, starting with only one teaspoon daily for 3 days, and doubling this the next 3 days, and so on.
Yes, the antibiotics damage your defense, but taking the yolks as described above, gradually increases strength of your defense.
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Thank you! :)