About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
rischott
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

fresh raw squid

Post by rischott »

High in protein. Any objections?
rischott

Post by rischott »

Forgot to mention...it's killed and filleted right in front of me.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

No objections as far as I know and I like its taste. Its quite 'a bite', but its toughness is welcome as an alternative to all that very easy to eat fish, yolks and juices. I can happily say that in my case they served it after it had been killed and cut to slices.
Actually, compared to (other) fish its not high in protein.

22% tuna
20% salmon
19% mackerel
18% herring
16% scallops
15.6% squid
9% oysters
Marty

Other

Post by Marty »

I have enjoyed cuttlefish as well as squid; it has a very good texture.

They have very beautiful eyes and manners of curiosity in tanks in restaurants; they are a beautiful creature.
avalon

Post by avalon »

RRM wrote:
No objections as far as I know and I like its taste.
I've eaten Squid quite a lot (though never killed and fresh in front of me) and find it amusing how we differ in our tastes. I find it quite a 'bite' also as in chewey, but I find it fairly flavorless and tasteless. Not that I don't like it, however I'm not really sure why I do.

How do you think our digestion handles a rubbery chewy Squid, verses a soft piece of Salmon? And would there be any benefit from eating it or not eating it with respect to other fish flesh???

Avalon :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avalon wrote:How do you think our digestion handles a rubbery chewy Squid, verses a soft piece of Salmon?
That does not depend on the texture of it (regarding bite), but on the level of anti-nutrients, fiber, connective tissue etc.
I think its just very tough muscles, because when I chew on it, I dont notice any residual connective tissue, but maybe there is some that i havent noticed.
And would there be any benefit from eating it or not eating it with respect to other fish flesh???
No, no more than then combining other foods, which supplies you with balanced intake of nutrients.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Okay, let's say Squid is tougher than Salmon... and it is...

All I'm asking is how do you think this affects our digestion? My guess is it would be tougher to digest Squid, as Salmon is softer... but I am curious, as curious does :shock:

Avalon :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I hear you, but its not the extend of toughness of the texture that determines digestibility, but the presence of fiber, anti-nutrients etc. Only if the extend of toughness is determined by the ratio of connective tissue present, then this may determine how fast it can be digested, though not digestibility. Connective tissue is more like 'a box' or 'pillars' supporting flesh, where as fiber is more like the structure of the flesh itself.
rischott

Post by rischott »

would the same go for raw (or should i say living) octopus tenticles?

The one I ate stayed moving for at least 25 minutes after it was cut up. That is how long it took me too eat it as well.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I have no idea how well they are digested, sorry...
rischott

Post by rischott »

thanks. I didn't have any problems with digestion, at least none that i noticed. i'll probally never eat it again. It was fun trying though.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

rischott wrote:would the same go for raw (or should i say living) octopus tenticles?

The one I ate stayed moving for at least 25 minutes after it was cut up. That is how long it took me too eat it as well.
bravo! that must have taken some guts to eat that while it was still moving!