Non-pink / brown part of salmon; ok to eat?

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Non-pink / brown part of salmon; ok to eat?

Post by johndela1 »

What is that brown stuff under the skin on salmon? Should I eat it or scrape it off?
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

It's coagulated blood. I see it more on tuna fish. You can just scrape it off.

My fish seller told me this. Of course, being me who never take people's words at its face value, I tried to taste it once. No commentaries.

Now, I just cut them out.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

As with people, the skin of fish consist of different layers. The brown layer is the layer that connects the ('real') skin to the flesh / muscles (connective tissue).
It doesnt taste good, so you better scrape it off.
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

That is disgusting. That has so put me off eating fish, not that I was going to. But you know, I wanted to...I don't now!
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Cairidh wrote:That is disgusting. That has so put me off eating fish, not that I was going to. But you know, I wanted to...I don't now!
What specifically put you off? The fact that their is brown stuff under the skin? Or the fact that it is connective tissue? or something else?

Just curious.

When I see a piece of salmon (raw or cooked) it doesn't seem at potentially gross as a piece of beef where you can see bone and fat. for some reason the bone and fat makes it look more like what it is (a chunk of animal insides).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I'm curious as well; what is it exactly that is disgusting to you?
claireelis

nonpink salmon parts ok to eat?

Post by claireelis »

i bought some frozen wild salmon from the health food store. i read in the old forum that frozen fish is ok if you're not too acne prone. it has some brownish parts on it and silver 'skin'. i know that plenty of ppl eat these parts. i was wondering if there are any objections from the wai diet (for general health and weightloss purposes)?
claireelis

Post by claireelis »

I am not used to eating unprepared fish, but the skin peeled right off and the texture felt inedible. I think it's safe to say just ditch the skin :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I always remove the skin (or get it removed) and the brownish part.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, the brownish part is a bit bitter, and the skin also tastes very bad.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Off-topic: i had some Red Salmon the other day and it was amazing!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

What is Red Salmon?
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

well, the salmon i had was 'alaska red salmon' [from Marks and Spencers - UK]. Did a quick look on Wiki, and the only salmon based in alaska is called the

'Coho salmon or Silver salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) is found throughout the coastal waters of Alaska and British Columbia and up most clear-running streams and rivers'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coho_salmon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon

8)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Ah I see. :)
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I have four questions:

A) Where can I find the nutritional contents of the brown skin? Does it contain enzyme inhibitors?

B) And one more thing, I think I must have ate a few salmon scales accidentally as my fillet came with the skin on. Is it harmful? What will happen? Any nutritional values in fish scales? Do they contain enzyme inhibitors too?

C) What about salmon bones? Sometimes I think I might have ingested a tiny bone without knowing. Does the salmon bone has any nutritional value and enzyme inhibitor?

D) The salmon fillets I had the past two days were very slippery. Does it mean they were not fresh?