Fish Eggs

About (not) consuming fresh raw fish and fresh raw egg yolks
rischott
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Fish Eggs

Post by rischott »

At the market, I can find fish eggs. They are marked down everynight and thrown away if not eaten so I figure they are fresh, and the worker says they are raw. Translation is Herring and Flying Fish eggs from Indonesia and Germany.
Are these fine to eat for protein/fat?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

If they really are raw, yes!
avalon

Post by avalon »

I love Fish eggs so much, I think if you look at my blood under a microscope, that's what you'll find :)
avo

Post by avo »

Are Uni and Ikura usually raw and unprocessed? What about previously frozen? These two eggs/roe are popular in Japanese restaurants and sushi bars, so I was wondering if anyone knew more about them.

I'm pretty sure caviar is transported frozen, so this also may be the case. Or is it a non-issue because there is not much protien in the eggs?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

So far all fish eggs made me break out...
I guess they are never truly raw, as they are very hard to keep fresh.
avo

Post by avo »

Have you had Uni? It is sea urchin, the organ part that produces the roe. Supposedly it is best when fresh, and it is very popular. The sushi bar I went to last night was all out, and they said they get it in fresh not frozen.

I wonder if that would cause any breakouts. BTW, I am probably just as sensitive to breakouts as you are, as I'm constantly battling 1 or 2 large pimples somewhere on my body. We'll see how it reacts from last nights large sashimi meal.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

No, I havent had Uni yet.
The variety of fish offered here usually is somewhat limited.