maple vs honey

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

maple vs honey

Post by johndela1 »

In my tea, I have always used maple syrup to sweeten it. I've done some reading about honey. Some people say it is a miracle health food others say it is something to avoided.

Any ideas on which one would be better for me? I have the feeling they are both mainly sugar, so they are very similar, but I'm not sure.
What would you recommend for the ideal sweetner for use in my tea? I drink several cups a day. Currently I use 2-4 tbl spoons a day of maple syrup.

I've seen so many sweetners. Rice syrups, corn, etc...

From what I know about the wai diet, I'm thinking you will say table sugar, but if some sweetners have some nutrients, wouldn't they be better?

I've read molasses has several nutrients, but to me molasses isn't sweet at all.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Hey John,
cool idea about the syrup! For some reason I have never ever ever ever liked honey. Yuck! Doody! Maybe it was forced on me when I was young, who knows now, too much wine under the bridge and those cells are GONE! :shock:

But, I never thought of uses for syrup other than pancakes. I'm not big on sweets anymore, but wouldn't mind having some pure organic syrup type around. And the molasses sounds interestiong also. Isn't that Black strap supposed to be good health wise?

Happy New Year in advance!
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Avalon,

I've heard grade B has more minerals than the more common grade A. It is darker, too.

I don't know how much it really matters, but you may want to read about the grade A vs grade B.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Both maple syrup and molases are heated!
For maple syrup there are three grades of refining: C,B and A. A is the most refined, C the least.
So most people will tell you C is the best because it contains more minerals and vitamins, but since we get everything from our diet we do not need anything "extra". The refining process is done with heat.

As for Molases it is what is left over after table sugar is extracted. So molases is everything but the sugar molecule. That's why it's not sweet!
This process is done by heating of course...

If I believe the local organic beekeepers, their honey is not heated just extracted with a centrifuge so that seems definitly better. But why not just table sugar?

And by the way what kind of tea do you drink? I think tea also has small quantities of "dirty protein". Is this correct RRM?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Basically, raw honey is perfect. Molasses are not. At all.
Corinne wrote:I think tea also has small quantities of "dirty protein". Is this correct RRM?
Exactly. Tea is a munch food, but I guess they knew that.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Corinne wrote:Both maple syrup and molases are heated!
For maple syrup there are three grades of refining: C,B and A. A is the most refined, C the least.
Is that always bad? if molases is heated the sugar is also heated? I thought that the protein content of maple syrup was really low and not an issue. I rarely see grade B, I wonder where one would find grade C.
Corinne wrote: So most people will tell you C is the best because it contains more minerals and vitamins, but since we get everything from our diet we do not need anything "extra". The refining process is done with heat.
If tea with maple syrup is my much food, it is also part of my diet. If it does actually have more nutrition I would need less from the other stuff in my diet.
Corinne wrote: As for Molases it is what is left over after table sugar is extracted. So molases is everything but the sugar molecule. That's why it's not sweet!
This process is done by heating of course...

Heat is used to get the sugar out of the molases, so the sugar is heated, too. I assume it is ok because it doesn't contain protein.
It is funny how some people recommend Molases as a sweetner, when it is not sweet. I never understood that.
Corinne wrote: And by the way what kind of tea do you drink? I think tea also has small quantities of "dirty protein". Is this correct RRM?
I drink mostly green, black, and red. Some white occasionally. On rare occasion I drink coffee.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:
Corinne wrote:Both maple syrup and molases are heated!
Is that always bad?
If its not pure sugar, yes.
If tea with maple syrup is my much food, it is also part of my diet. If it does actually have more nutrition I would need less from the other stuff in my diet.
You dont need nutrients from munch foods as the nutrients are already supplied by the raw foods. More is not better, certainly not from munch foods.
It is funny how some people recommend Molases as a sweetner, when it is not sweet. I never understood that.
Me neither. If you need a sweetener, use the real thing: sugar (or raw honey, of course).