Olive oil from ripe olives without kernel (denocciolato)

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
Oscar
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Olive oil from ripe olives without kernel (denocciolato)

Post by Oscar »

I've used the oil for a few days now, so let me share my experiences. The oil is stored in a 3 liter metal can. It's pretty easy to open, but it's not that easy (if not impossible) to pour it out without spilling oil on the top of the can. The oil is not filtered and as such looks green and opaque. The taste is full and rich, rather strong, but not bitter, not even in the aftertaste. It takes a day or two to get used to, but all in all I'm quite happy. :)
overkees

Post by overkees »

Okay guys, as I recently have been eating very close to 100% wai the last month I have experienced issues with the olive oil. Maybe also because I don't smoke anymore.

Nowadays I always have mashed banana orange juice with a tiny bit of olive oil, the bananas seem to give me longer lasting energy than orange juice alone (fiber?). In the beginning I had orange juice with quite some olive oil, for better energy management and it never gave me more problems. But now I noticed a very toxic taste in the orange juice that I couldn't discover earlier. Strange I thought, because of the organic high prized olive oil I always buy. It couldn't be the oranges, because they tasted awesome without the oil.

So I looked here what other people's experiences are with olive oil and saw this topic. Of course! The olives are pressed with the kernels when they are not ripe? Ridiculous. So I searched on the internet and wanted to place an order like Kasper, but their payment service was down, unfortunately. So I came up with an other side that also sells really good quality olive oil for a decent price. When looking at peroxide content and acidity at least. It's called http://www.oliopace.it/ and they are really friendly. I ordered 6L of denocciolato olive oil for 60 euros + 20 euro shipping costs and tax. It should arrive thursday, a person called me in person to ask about how I found the site and how I knew about the denocciolato. He called me because something went wrong with the order (my fault) but he was a really nice guy and was from Great Britain and we had a nice talk.

So I'm letting you guys know how good it is and keep you informed about the bitterness. It has a really high polyphenol content btw. If I go to the next wai meeting I will bring a bottle with me so someone can compare this olive oil with the one you previously bought.

I searched every reference google has to an online shop with denocciolato olive oil, but this and the site kasper posted seem to be the only ones with a reasonable price. Because I'm not paying 20+ euros for 500 mL, that's crazy.
dime

Post by dime »

Cool, I didn't know about this difference of olive oils.
On the German Amazon there's denocciolato oils for 7.5 eur/500ml, so 6L turns out 90 (similar to your order).

And there's this thing which is 11 eur/100mL :O http://eng.comincioli.it/home/main/News ... -Olei-2011
overkees

Post by overkees »

Let's see what their specs say in comparison to mine:

Casaliva:
Peroxides: 4.15 meqO2 / Kg
Acidity: less than 0.20%
Polyphenols: 349.9 mg / Kg

Mine:
Peroxides: 6.50 meqO2/Kg
Acidity: less than 0.30%
Polyphenols: 600 mg/kg

Polyphenols of olive oil are considered as a positive thing: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20209466. Potent anti-oxidants. (Note that there are some bad polyphennies too, but olive oil's phennies are often celebrated).
The other 2: the lower the better!

So it might be a little bit fresher and less acid, but for that price I expected better statistics. I've seen some denocciolatos with 2 meqO2/kg for around 30 dollars/500 mL.
But of course the taste could be awesome, taste can't be put into numbers.
dime

Post by dime »

It seems like there's correlation between acidity and polyphenols? From what I know green/black tea are full of polyphenols, where they act as mineral chelators (iron, calcium, magnesium, etc) which might be a good or a bad thing. E.g. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 152309.htm
But probably those in olive oil are different polyphenols.

How will you store the oil, for best preservation? 6L will take a while I guess :)
overkees

Post by overkees »

Yes, the polyphenols in olive oil have been studied alot and are considered as healthy ones with little to no unhealthy side effects. (Look the pubmed link in my previous post).

It says that the oil will keep 18 months. So I guess I will put it in a cold dark place.

The requirements for extra virging are: acidity <= 1 (oleic acid/100 gr of oil); peroxides <=20 (meq O2/Kg of oil).

So the denocciolatos are 3-4 times as better when comparing to these parameters (the most important qualification parameters).
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I use Carapelli Nobile. It says "low acidity 0.3%" and "true Nectar of the Olive Fruit". It used to say "made only from the olive pulp" but I'm hoping the nectar of the olive fruit comment means the same thing. It's a light colour, tastes mild, but is more expensive than most other kids, and rarely goes on sale. Sometimes I'll buy other kinds but this is my main brand all else being equal. I stocked up on them and bought 10 bottles last time they went on sale, and they don't go bad.

I don't know what the average acidity of OO is, and I don't know why they use a percent rather than a PH.

There's no other brand I know of locally that specifies no seeds are used.
overkees

Post by overkees »

They don't use pH because that's about the concentration of water molecules that absorbed an extra proton. Since oil and water normally don't dissolve in eachother you can't measure the pH because it makes no sense.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I'm a little confused here; someone earlier in the thread said that they found denocciolato olive oil which was green; I thought that green meant ripe.

Should we be looking for Green or Yellow OO?

Also, here's another oil that looks good, http://www.21food.com/products/extra-vi ... 67359.html

I've sent them an email but the contact form makes it seem like they sell to businesses in bulk only; I wonder how much I could consume in a year . . .

If I order from http://www.oleumvieste.com I figure I can just order 4 of the 5L tins for myself. I can do 1L week if I have it and it tastes good, so that would only last me 5 months, and it's not really that expensive.
dime

Post by dime »

Hey guys, to all who bought this one http://www.oleumvieste.com/english/i-pr ... -3-lt.html
Was the oil ok? I'm thinking to buy the 18L which is a lot, so if someone didn't think it's good please let me know.
At 7eur/L and if it's good quality then it looks like a great deal. Although I'm hesitating a bit, because olives are harvested in late autumn/winter, so if I buy now I'll likely get a one year old oil.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:Hey guys, to all who bought this one http://www.oleumvieste.com/english/i-pr ... -3-lt.html
Was the oil ok? I'm thinking to buy the 18L which is a lot, so if someone didn't think it's good please let me know.
Yes, its really good. Go for it.
dime

Post by dime »

Wha, it doesn't work.. "Your order can not be completed at this time as there is no payment methods available for it."
Kasper, how did you order do you remember?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I think he ordered by email, and paid by bank transfer (afterwards), no?
dime

Post by dime »

Ok I figured it out with them via email, thanks.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yeah I loved that oil...very rich tasting and thick. Might order it again soon, even though you have to order a lot.