Oils & omega3 supplementation

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
dionysus
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Oils & omega3 supplementation

Post by dionysus »

Extra-Cold Filtered Rice Bran Oil
A no-no i presume?

http://www.alfaone.co.nz/product.php?productId=1

Alfa One has a nutritionally well-balanced fatty acid profile that is free from cholesterol and trans-fatty acids. It is high in desirable mono-unsaturates, low in saturated fats and contains a moderate level of poly-unsaturated fatty acids including the essential Omega-3. High natural antioxidant levels including vitamin E and Gamma Orzyanol protect the oil from oxidization so it will keep longer, and also help control blood cholesterol levels.

About Rice Bran

Rice, like other grains, has a nutritious storage layer between the husk and the kernel which is called the bran. It is the bran layer that contains the most nutritious elements of the rice grain. New technology has allowed a high quality oil to be economically extracted from the rice bran layer and refined using an extra cold filtration process. This cold filtration process ensures that many of the rice bran’s natural nutrients are retained, and the resulting low viscosity means less oil is absorbed by your food during the cooking process.

Among the nutrients that are retained are high levels of vitamin E (Tocopherols and Trienols), along with Gamma Oryzanol which is a unique plant sterol found only in rice. Plant sterols help reduce absorption of cholesterol and are thought to be a major dietary factor in preventing heart disease.
Negativity is the cult of the weak
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

A no-no indeed.
Plant sterols indeed reduce the absorption of cholesterol, which is an essential nutrient.
If you want to supplement omega 3, I recommend cod liver oil.
Seth

Post by Seth »

RRM wrote:A no-no indeed.
If you want to supplement omega 3, I recommend cod liver oil.
I have always wondered about Cod Liver Oil: is it really all that good for you considering the liver's function?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

What do you mean?
Seth

Post by Seth »

RRM wrote:What do you mean?
If the oil is extracted from the liver, would it not contain things such as metals (e.g. mercury) and other impurities which it is designed to filter?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I have no idea how they do it. there must be info available out there as to how they do it (and prevent possible pollution?).
Im not into this because the whole idea of this diet is that that it provides with everything you need, including omega 3s.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

At the moment omega-3 fatty acids are "in fashion". Next year it will be something else, like for instance calcium was "in fashion" some years ago. Even though omega-3 fatty acids are essential, it doesn't mean that more is better. Only when you do not provide your body with all the nutrients it needs, is supplementing necessary, so in this case it might apply for vegans.
avo

Post by avo »

Most cod liver oils that I have seen are molecularly distilled. Other fish oils go through somewhat different processes. [1]

Here is what these distillers typically look like: [2]

Molecular distillation:
In molecular distillation, the oil is heated under a vacuum to about 190oC by direct heat on a hot surface. The volatile compounds are distilled from the oil. [3]
I do wonder, what is done with the extracted mercury and heavy metals? Is it just thrown away (back into the sea :roll:)? In what safe manner could it be disposed?

New processes are being developed:
The newer deodorization process heats the oil to 170-180oC by flushing steam through it. The steam removes the volatile compounds and carries them out. As the heat is indirect and the temperature lower than distillation, there is less likelihood of damage to the polyunsaturated fatty acids. The new deodorization process is more efficient in removing compounds that impart flavor and odor to the oil--which is why the process is called "deodorization." This, according to the industry, is a real advantage because "the oil is of better sensoric quality than before.[3]
The Weston A Price site also has some good material on the traditional process used to obtain cod liver oil, as well as some other interesting information.
Seth

Post by Seth »

RRM wrote:I have no idea how they do it. there must be info available out there as to how they do it (and prevent possible pollution?).
I thought Walnut oil was fairly high in Omega 3s...Would that be a viable alternative to fish oil. It seems there is a lot of question as to using Cod Liver Oil and other fish oils because they are most often heated.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:I thought Walnut oil was fairly high in Omega 3s
Yes, but only linolenic acid (13.5% of total fat), not the other omega 3s.
As Oscar said; only if you are vegan, omega 3 supplementation makes sense, and then walnut oil does not make that much sense, as you also need the omega 3s only present in animal food (and -oils)
Seth

Post by Seth »

RRM wrote:only if you are vegan, omega 3 supplementation makes sense, and then walnut oil does not make that much sense, as you also need the omega 3s only present in animal food (and -oils)
I recall you previously saying that fish oil and/or Cod Liver oil had bad fats as well. I was wondering which bad fats they would contain?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:I recall you previously saying that fish oil and/or Cod Liver oil had bad fats as well. I was wondering which bad fats they would contain?
Did i?
Well, it depends on how they are made...
See Avo's post above.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Yes, but, in looking back, it was in reference to heat used during the process. Sorry, should have looked it up first.