Unfiltered Olive Oils

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
Seth
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Unfiltered Olive Oils

Post by Seth »

Does it matter whether or not the olive oils are filtered or not enen if they are still cold pressed? I just started using some by a Lebanese company called Saifan (http://www.saifanest.com/extra_virgin.htm). I started noticing there is a bit of sediment (not having been filtered) that collects at the bottom. Based on what I have read sediment contains small particles of olive flesh.
I don't know what exactly olive flesh is, but can is cause skin or digestive problems? Does anyone have any experience using unfiltered olive oil?

Thanks!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Personally, I prefer filtered oil, as the olive residues may contain oleuropin.
Seth

Post by Seth »

RRM wrote:Personally, I prefer filtered oil, as the olive residues may contain oleuropin.
Ok but what is oleuropin and why should it be avoided?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:
RRM wrote:Personally, I prefer filtered oil, as the olive residues may contain oleuropin.
Ok but what is oleuropin and why should it be avoided?
Im sorry, the most used spelling is actually oleuropein.
Its a phenolic compound (glycoside), its toxic and it tastes very bitter, so that the more bitter the oil, the more oleuropein it will contain.
The mildest oils are most healthy.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Can the oleuropein cause diarrhea? Oddly, this brand is unfiltered but is not bitter at all. However, since I have been using (one week) it I have been getting diarrhea.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, when the body wants to get rid of a certain compound, the most effective way is diarrhea
Seth

Post by Seth »

RRM wrote:Yes, when the body wants to get rid of a certain compound, the most effective way is diarrhea
Thanks RRM... I will stop using it and see if the diarrhea stops.

Seth