Corn syrup...

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
sula58
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Corn syrup...

Post by sula58 »

Hi, I have a quick question that I couldn't find on the old board!

Since sugar is okay on the diet, I figure that corn syrup is fine, too. Why is it deemed unhealthy? I'm just asking because I like (considered a "munch food") fruit juices and candy for energy when I don't have time to eat better foods.

Thanks for any replies! Here is what I read about it:
High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is produced by processing corn starch to yield glucose, and then processing the glucose to produce a high percentage of fructose. It all sounds rather simple—white cornstarch is turned into crystal clear syrup. However, the process is actually very complicated. Three different enzymes are needed to break down cornstarch, which is composed of chains of glucose molecules of almost infinite length, into the simple sugars glucose and fructose.

First, cornstarch is treated with alpha-amylase to produce shorter chains of sugars called polysaccharides. Alpha-amylase is industrially produced by a bacterium, usually Bacillus sp. It is purified and then shipped to HFCS manufacturers.

Next, an enzyme called glucoamylase breaks the sugar chains down even further to yield the simple sugar glucose. Unlike alpha-amylase, glucoamylase is produced by Aspergillus, a fungus, in a fermentation vat where one would likely see little balls of Aspergillus floating on the top.

The third enzyme, glucose-isomerase, is very expensive. It converts glucose to a mixture of about 42 percent fructose and 50-52 percent glucose with some other sugars mixed in. While alpha-amylase and glucoamylase are added directly to the slurry, pricey glucose-isomerase is packed into columns and the sugar mixture is then passed over it. Inexpensive alpha-amylase and glucoamylase are used only once, glucose-isomerase is reused until it loses most of its activity.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Corn syrup...

Post by RRM »

If the end product is really 100% sugars only, yes, its safe.
sula58

Post by sula58 »

Thank you!
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

If the end product is really 100% sugars only, yes, its safe.
But usually, when you see this in a product (drinks, sweets, ketchup etc...), it is 99% of the times 100% sugars, or it is often something different and worse?
What about this link made by the lobbying: click
Are all their answers true?

And here a study on rats: Click
and mercury found in it: click
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ha ha, i guess i didnt have much time to read all posts, 6 years ago,
because i totally failed to read the quote.
Sugar made from corn is totally okay, if its100% sugar,
but this artificially increased fructose rate is not a good idea, because our body is adjusted to a natural glucose:fructose ratio
present in our natural diet.
This HFCS is simply too high in fructose vs glucose.