oil question

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
rafaelo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

How long does walnut or coconut oil stay good for?

Post by rafaelo »

as a moisturizer, how long does walnut or coconut oil stay good for? should they be refrigerated in order to use them longer?

and i still haven't seen the picture of rrm or wai, yet.
CurlyGirl

Re: oil question

Post by CurlyGirl »

Hi Rafaelo,

I have a bottle of coconut oil (that I am using as a moisturiser), which I originally bought to cook with (it is food-grade, cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil). I store this bottle outside of the fridge, because the person in the health food store who sold it to me told me that coconut fat is very stable and only needs to be kept in a cool place, like a cupboard. If you put pure coconut oil in the fridge, it will solidify (it is made from short-chain saturated fatty acids and therefore hardens like butter when cold), but if you keep it at room temperature it will stay liquid enough for you to spread over your skin with your fingertips. My coconut oil still smells fresh (after 3 months) and works beautifully on my skin (no little 'sandy' bumps on my cheeks).

As for walnut oil, I unfortunately can't tell you whether you should keep it in the fridge or not, or how long it lasts. But if its chemical make-up is anything like flax oil or brazil nut oil, then I believe it might go rancid much more quickly than other oils. I always keep those 'unstable' oils in the fridge, and they stay liquid when cold anyway, because they are unsaturated fats.
nick

Re: oil question

Post by nick »

I would have to say that coconut oil is the by far the most soothing for my skin. Walnut oil not so much, it made me have small breakouts and those sandy bumps. I would suggest coconut oil first. I would agree with CurlyGirl, keep them at room temp, probably a dark place as well.
tjfillion

Post by tjfillion »

When buying coconut oil, should it be extra virgin or regular? Does it matter? What does "extra virgin" even mean?

Thanks,
Tim
huntress

Post by huntress »

Hello Tim :D

Buying extra virgin oils would be better. 'Extra Virgin', at least I know in Olive oils, are oils that have been processed by the pressing of the fruit (in this case the coconut) with no chemical treatment.

Extra virgin OLIVE OIL has the lowest acidity level and taste much better than the non virgin variety of oils.

Hope that helps :wink:

Hiya CurlyGirl!
I see that you are using Coconut oils to its full benefit! That's great! Do you use them as a subtitute for Olive oil as your source of fats? If so, do they taste better than Olive oil? I am thinking of sipping Coconut oil instead of Olive oil now.

Also, do you use Coconut oil on your body? I used to use them on all over my body - from head to toe - but it doesn't seem to do any good to my face or my body (except my hair). My skin on my body became dry and flaky and itches TERRIBLY. And the skin on my face felt rougher.

I am appaled by this because it seems to contradict what studies have claimed about the benefits of coconut oil. :(
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

huntress wrote:Hiya CurlyGirl!
I see that you are using Coconut oils to its full benefit! That's great! Do you use them as a subtitute for Olive oil as your source of fats? If so, do they taste better than Olive oil? I am thinking of sipping Coconut oil instead of Olive oil now.
Hi Huntress!
No, so far I've only been using coconut oil on my face, not as a source of fats in my diet. But I'm tempted to consume the oil! It smells so delicious, and I think my body must be calling out for long-chain saturated fats (eg. coconut fat!) because when I smell the coconut oil on my fingertips after putting it on my skin, I just want to eat it!!
huntress wrote:Also, do you use Coconut oil on your body? I used to use them on all over my body - from head to toe - but it doesn't seem to do any good to my face or my body (except my hair). My skin on my body became dry and flaky and itches TERRIBLY. And the skin on my face felt rougher.
No, I've never used it on my body, just my face (tho' technically the face is PART of the body, hehe). Never really had a need for it, especially since, on this diet, I only need to bathe/shower once or twice a week (I know, so many people are going, 'oh, gross!'), because I smell so clean and my skin isn't releasing all sorts of sour toxins every day! I only wash the necessary bits every day... ! So, because I don't scrub it everyday and strip it of its natural oils, my skin doesn't need any sort of moisturiser. I wish it were the same for the skin on my face! The WORST is when I swim in the sea... then I make sure I wash the salt off my skin and put on Body Shop body butter (I know what Wai says about this sort of thing but I have a huge supply that I don't want to throw away!!) to stop my skin from going flaky and itchy.

I'm sorry to hear that the coconut oil doesn't seem to agree with your skin... maybe you could try cold-pressed walnut oil? That works too, beautifully. Coconut oil can make your skin rough if you use more than a tiny fingertip's worth on your face... so perhaps you could try using less? Or switch to walnut oil...
huntress

Post by huntress »

Thank you for your reply CurlyGirl :)
It could be the case that I have been applying too much oil on my face. I've tried walnut oil before and it works wonderfully! But I've been using Walnut oil for months and I just want to have a change. I LOVE the smell of coconut oil and the feel of it on my hair.

Oh I used to be a Body Shop body butter junkie too! But now I switched to Burt's Bees instead. Ever since I started this diet, I am becoming more 'natural' orientated :wink:
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

I've also noticed dry hands sometimes...and I put (maybe a lot of?) coconut oil on my hands as well as my face. I'll have to give walnut oil a try.
especially since, on this diet, I only need to bathe/shower once or twice a week (I know, so many people are going, 'oh, gross!')
Not at all curlygirl! Since on the diet I shower once a week and wash my hair at that time... Like you I wash what's necessary with a wash cloth and water almost every day. I don't feel gross at all, my body just smells sweet! Also when I shower I notice I'm more sensitive to the cold on that day, until my body coats itself again with it's natural oils...and is protected from the elements.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Huntress,

Oh, I just LOVE Burt's Bees lip balm! It's glorious. Jeez, these people should pay us commission for all the free advertising we do...

Corinne,

Thanks for adding your voice to the chorus of once-a-week-bathers... I haven't noticed any extra sensitivity to the cold after bathing, but I will try to pay more attention to these subtle things when next I have a wash. :-)