Canola oil

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
Rivera
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Canola oil

Post by Rivera »

Canola oil vs olive oil.
Which one is better?
And how much ml/tablespoon do we need per day?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I understand canola oil is a kind of rapeseed oil, that, through selective breeding, doesnt contain as much glucosinolates (anymore).
Its very low in satured fats and very high in Alpha-linolenic acid (a 'good' omega-3 fat; 10%), and i therefore think one should not consume too much of it (its all about balance).

How much oil you need is not a given.
In general fat intake and sugar intake need to be in some kind of balance, especially on a simply carbs diet like this. Not just throughout the day, but more or less with every meal. Avocadoes, nuts, (fatty) fish and egg yolks are a good source of fat as well, of course.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

About fat balance (DHA-EPA), i'm can't understand well how the ratio thing works.
I bought few cans of fish; here is how much each contains:
Sardine
DHA:700mg
EPA:1030mg

Mackerel
DHA:1560mg
EPA:930mg

The Pacific saury
DHA:1100mg
EPA:570mg
Which has the better ratio? And what should be the best ratio (in mg)?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

A ratio isn't expressed in mg. A ratio is an expression which compares quantities relative to each other.

Where did you get the idea that you need to worry about DHA/EPA ratios? From what I know those are both things that you don't need to worry about in relation to one another.

I've read that Omega 3 and Omega 6 ratios are what most people have messed up with typical diets.

If you're just eating fish, you are helping that ratio regardless of the DHA/EPA ratio.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

Where did you get the idea that you need to worry about DHA/EPA ratios?
That's because I'm little lost with the fats ratio/types things etc...
In fact, the ratio is important with the Omega 3 and 6, right?

I've read that flax oil and sunflower oil could be taken instead of fish oil, is that right?
And in the fishes nutritional facts i just gave, which has the best value on DHA/EPA?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Yes, the omega3/6 is the ratio that most people say is important.

If you are following the wai diet
you will have a good ratio.

I think that flax or sunflower oil are not as good as fish oil for DHA/EPA.

I don't consume seed oils, so flax and sunflower oil are not something I want to consume.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

Once the bottle is opened, should we keep the olive oil inside the fridge?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I don't ever refrigerate mine. I've never noticed that it has gone bad. I don't buy in bulk because I like to keep it as fresh as possible. I usually buy a months supply at a time.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Same here, it's empty before it spoils. Take care to keep it in a dark bottle though, and not in a hot place. So I guess if you live in a tropic environment, you might want to keep it in the fridge after all. ;)
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

I was surprised because usually I don't take olive oil. This time I took one (extra virgin olive oil) and I didn't saw the word "strong" on the bottle. When I took a teaspoon, I was like "ahhh!", it was worse than Vodka!
What does make a so strong effect? Tabasco is nothing compare to this!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

From Wikipedia:
Olive oil contains a group of related natural products with potent antioxidant properties which give extra-virgin unprocessed olive oil its bitter and pungent taste and which are esters of tyrosol and hydroxytyrosol, including oleocanthal and oleuropein.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

thats why its best to use an oil that is very mild.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

RRM wrote:thats why its best to use an oil that is very mild.
So the one I took is not good?
But I don't know why, since the second time of taking it, the strong disappeared (??). Someone's got an idea why?

The morning, I take 2 slices of pain de mie as munch food, you recommend me to take my olive oil teaspoon there I suppose?
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

*the strong taste disappeared
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Rivera wrote:But I don't know why, since the second time of taking it, the strong disappeared (??). Someone's got an idea why?
Ha ha, no idea...
Rivera wrote:The morning, I take 2 slices of pain de mie as munch food, you recommend me to take my olive oil teaspoon there I suppose?
sure