Palm Oil?

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
fictor
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Palm Oil?

Post by fictor »

I have been using a lot of extra virgin coconut oil lately, as I am a little fed up with the taste and texture of olive oil.

In the health food store that sells the cocnut oil I usually buy, they also have a lot of other oils, among them Red Palm Oil.

This is unrefined palm oil, which is redish in its color. It contains quite a lot of carotenoids (thats the red stuff, I gather), and many vitamins. It could absolutely help to reach the RDA of some vitamins, and it is supposed to taste very good.

Anyone know if it contains any anti-nutrients or other bad stuff?

This is the wikipedia article on palm oil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_oil

And this is the specific oil I have seen in the store
http://amanprana.se/Products/Products/p ... dpalm.html
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Its not palm kernel oil, so i suspect its ok. Its a bit out of balance regarding fatty acids though, so maybe you can alternate it with walnut oil or avocado oil, for example.
fictor

Post by fictor »

Yes, alternating was the plan. It contains far too much vitamin A as well, to be the main fat source in a healthy diet.

I will buy a glass and see what happens :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fred wrote:Is (organic) palm oil ok on Wai diet ?
Olive oil is more in balance regarding omega fats,
as it contains 9.4 fold as much linoleic acid (omega 6) as linolenic acid (omega 3).
Palm oil contains 10.10% linoleic acid versus 0.5% linolenic acid, which is 20.2 fold more.
Walnut oil is a good alternative: 57.8% versus 13.5% (4.28 fold more).
Or cocoa butter (Theobroma oil): 1.3% versus 0.4% (3.25 fold more)
Though coconut oil contains no omega 3, it contains very little omega linoleic acid as well (1.65%),
so that it will not throw the overall omega balance out of wack.
The same goes for avocado oil.
dime

Re: Palm Oil?

Post by dime »

fred

Post by fred »

I have tried a good quality organic red palm oil and really can't stand the taste. I like the buttery texture though.
I see red palm oil more like a food complement.
Coconut oil is so muuuuuch better to may taste.
dime

Post by dime »

same here
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

dime wrote:Good article on red palm oil: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... n-miracle/
Good article ? Come on, this article is as hyped up as Dr. Oz himself...

To call red palm oil a health miracle may be an overstatement, but you can't deny that red palm oil is an highly nutritious oil.
It may be not have those medicinally properties that Dr. Oz claim it has, but it surely has a high content of almost all fat soluble vitamins you get from plant food...
fred

Post by fred »

It can be called a health miracle for the average American who eat SAD.
overkees

Post by overkees »

The article is right on a few points. But if you don't have the know how the suggestions it makes are dangerous. Totally out of context and hazardous for the people who eat loads of PUFAs without the appropriate vitamin E. They will get a lot of benefits from quitting with the pufas or adding some red palm oil to their diet.

peanut oil + olive oil + soy oil = way too little vitamin E

Now olive oil might have enough polyphenolic content to prevent it from oxidizing too fast. And if you're going for denocciolato it might even be better.

Certainly if you're overweight, I would replace all oils and only use coconut oil and red palm oil. Hey wait, I am doing that now too and I'm not even overweight.

Better safe than sorry.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fred wrote:It can be called a health miracle for the average American who eat SAD.
If your diet is bad, the oil is not going to make you healthy.
fred

Post by fred »

Raw red palm oil contains healthy fat and fat soluble vitamins. Using red palm oil instead of other vegetable oils full of omega 6 that are commonly used is a progress, isn't it?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fred wrote:Raw red palm oil contains healthy fat and fat soluble vitamins. Using red palm oil instead of other vegetable oils full of omega 6 that are commonly used is a progress, isn't it?
That sounds very different than palm oil being "a health miracle" for the average American who eat SAD.
If adding vitamins would initiate a "health miracle", vitamin supplements would constitue a "health miracle".
Eating SAD, with all those carcinogens, its not the omega 6 that is the unhealthy part of their diet.
fred

Post by fred »

I agree...
(Trash) TV needs sensations and superlatives you know.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oleic acid is a good lipid peroxidation inhibitor. Diplock AD et al

Oleic acid in foods, as percentage of total fat:
Olive oil 72% (2% as free oleic acid)
palm oil 37%
walnut oil 16%
palm kernel oil 14%
coconut oil 7%