Avocado oil vs Olive oil

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
Ducky
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Avocado oil vs Olive oil

Post by Ducky »

Wouldnt avocado oil be more "Wai" than olive oil?

To be honest i was forcing olive oil until now because everybody says how
healthy it is and all but its got that bitter taste that i never really liked.

Whatsoever makes sense because avocado is a fruit that you can consume raw but olives are not.

I think im gonna switch to avocado oil.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

technically you can eat olives raw, just not straight off the tree. they have to be cured in a brine or between layers of salt. it's sort of like letting bananas ripen before they are desirable.

by classification, olives are a fruit. an olive is not a plant or herb, it's the fruit of a plant.

perhaps, olive oil is preferred due to the fatty acid ratios... this i don't know about. i'm sure someone else will specify.

for me, avocado oil is too expensive and i actually happen to have grown a custom to the bitterness of olive oil. it is sort of an acquired taste though. i've found that organic varieties taste much better than non.

this is what i use... http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncom ... nbr=132777
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Thanks for your reply!

Well if you have to cure it, it means its not as natural as fruits that you can eat without any treatment. Just as Wai says for a lot of other things.

If you got used to it, that means it wasnt natural for you either, as you admitted it.

Yes avocado oil is more expensive but for the sample diet it would be more ideal and natural.

At least it makes more sense to me.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

well, just because something takes getting used to, it doesn't mean that it's unnatural. for me, the wai diet itself was difficult at first and took getting used to.

when it comes to foods/methods of preparation that are allowable in the scope of wai, i think many people limit themselves when they start splitting hairs between what they perceive to be natural and un-natural. just my opinion...

but as you said, you felt like you were forcing the olive oil for a while, so it makes sense for you to try something else. don't count out the olive oil though. seriously, i went from not enjoying it at all, to really genuinely enjoying it.
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ducky wrote: Yes avocado oil is more expensive but for the sample diet it would be more ideal and natural.
I agree.
Ducky wrote: If you got used to it, that means it wasnt natural for you either, as you admitted it.
Im sorry, but that doesnt make sense.
Things we usually do (driving a car), are not necessarily natural.
Things we have to get used to (eating raw egg yolks), are not necessarily unnatural.
Kasper

Re: Avocado oil vs Olive oil

Post by Kasper »

What about omega 6 in avocado oil (12,5 %) ?
Is this okay if you eat it in high quantities ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kasper wrote:What about omega 6 in avocado oil (12,5 %) ?
Is this okay if you eat it in high quantities ?
Its about the omega 6 to omega 3 ratio, due to their interactions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_ ... teractions

According to the USDA database, avocado oil contains 1% of undifferentiated 18:3,
which includes alpha-linolenic acid (omega 3), gamma-linolenic acid (omega 6) and calendic acid (omega 6).
But as we dont know how much of this is actually ALA, we dont know if the ratio is ok.
In general, however, the amounts of omega 6s in 18:3 form are minute in oils,
so that we may assume that avocado oil is relatively safe.

This (non-scientific) source states that the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 is 0.5 : 9
which is relatively safe.
What do you you consider high quantities?
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Well, like complete replacing oil, in my case that is like 80 mg.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oh, thats quite a lot.
But if you consume a lot of fish, it may not be an issue.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I already found an olive oil which I REALLY like !

Frantoio Scalia, Mascalucia from Silicia

It tastes much better Salvagno Olive oil I have used first. It is 18 euro/L but that's less expensive than coconut oil.

For whole fruits I just still use coconut oil, but for my orange juice I was tired of eating those coconut oil seperated from the juice. So I use this now. I put 15-20 ml in a bottle of 500 ML, but I just don't taste it, which is great!

I'm still interested in those denocciolato olive oil tough, if anybody wants to try it too, visit this topic and post:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1250&start=15