Olive Oil from Tunisia

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
rischott
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Olive Oil from Tunisia

Post by rischott »

Hello all,
I am currently in South Korea. I went to pick up some more olive oil at the supermarket (a French owned store throughout Korea) and I noticed this olive oil from Tunisia. It said 100% Virgin Olive Oil, but at the bottom of the bottle was a white cloud. When i shook up the bottle the cloud mixed with the oil but then eventually settled once again to the bottom. Does anyone know what the white stuff is? Also, any insights on the quality of Korean Olive oil?
Thanks.
Mark

Re: Olive Oil from Tunisia

Post by Mark »

rischott wrote:It said 100% Virgin Olive Oil, but at the bottom of the bottle was a white cloud. When i shook up the bottle the cloud mixed with the oil but then eventually settled once again to the bottom. Does anyone know what the white stuff is?
Extra virgin olive oil should go cloudy at the bottom at low temperatures (e.g. refrigeration). So this is a good sign, unless it is not cold.
I have asked for my money back on occaisions when supposed "extra virgin" olive oil did not go cloudy after I refridgerated it.
By their fruits shall ye know them.
rischott

Post by rischott »

The white cloud sat at the bottom of the bottle at room temperature......Not sure if it was 'part' of the olive oil, or something added for decoration.
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

What about in warm-ish environments, such as on the shelf in a supermarket?

I recently saw a few bottles of olive oil - reduced in price - that were cloudy towards the bottom and decided not to purchase them.

James
x
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

jmbattle wrote:What about in warm-ish environments, such as on the shelf in a supermarket? I recently saw a few bottles of olive oil - reduced in price - that were cloudy towards the bottom
These have not been filtered that extensively, I believe.
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Ah, I see. Am I to assume that poorly filtered olive oil is inferiour in terms of nutritional quality?

Thanks,
James
x
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

No, I dont think so.
Aesop

Good quality olive oil

Post by Aesop »

The olive oil I buy is from Crete and are also cloudy at the bottom. It has not been filtered and is closer to nature so to speak. (And more expensive!)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I buy olive oil from a guy that makes it. He has two kinds. Cloudy and clear. The clear one has simply been filtered.