Olive Oil & Ibuprofen > similar throat sensations

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
Cairidh
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Olive Oil & Ibuprofen > similar throat sensations

Post by Cairidh »

Nature's ibuprofen

Ibuprofen, commonly sold as Nurofen, is taken by thousands of Britons every day to treat headaches and sore backs.

The researchers calculated that a 50 gram helping of extra-virgin olive oil was equivalent to about 10 per cent of the ibuprofen dose recommended for adult pain relief.

Although it will not cure a headache, regular olive oil consumption may provide some of the long-term benefits of ibuprofen.

Inflammation has been linked to a wide range of human diseases, including heart disease and cancer.

The active ingredient in olive oil is oleocanthal, which affects the same biochemical pathway as ibuprofen and other medicines classified as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

Doctor tickled by possible link

Dr Beauchamp, one of the study leaders from the Monell Chemical Senses Centre in Philadelphia, said he was led to the discovery by the observation that fresh extra-virgin olive oil irritates the back of the throat in an unusual way.

"I had considerable experience swallowing and being stung in the throat by ibuprofen from previous studies on its sensory properties," said Dr Beauchamp.

"So when I tasted newly-pressed olive oil while attending a meeting on molecular gastronomy in Sicily, I was startled to notice that the throat sensations were virtually identical."

The scientists homed in on an unnamed chemical compound that appeared to be responsible for the irritation. The findings were reported today in the journal Nature.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Funny :)
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Cool!
Maybe this is the way to get my mum on the diet! :wink:
She suffers from horrible migrane headaches...
She's told me that she could never go on the diet because bananas and avocados give her headaches, But maybe the OO would help them!
ANybody sensitive in this way to bananas and avocados?
I also think that once on the diet her reactions would change.
panacea

Olive oil burns the back of my throat - what does it mean?

Post by panacea »

I recently bought "Filippo Berrio Organic ExtraVirgin Olive Oil" from wal-mart, smells like olives, tastes bland on the tip of my tongue and no matter what I do it won't burn my mouth, as soon as I swallow, it ranges from immense burning or mild burning depending on how much water I take with it. What's the deal? I read online somewhere that fresh olive oil does this, is that all there is to it?
panacea

Re: Olive oil burns the back of my throat - what does it mea

Post by panacea »

Now I'm worried because of this article - very interesting read, but I know ibuprofen is bad so the fact that the same ingredient is in this olive oil scares me (I got very sick after taking ibuprofen before, must be another irrational fear)

http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_section ... n_id=30107

short summary of article: the burning sensation in fresh olive oil is an ingredient in some pain killers which works as an anti-inflammatory. it's a lot lower dose in olive oil, but since wai-ains drink so much of it, i guess it's pretty comparable to having a painkiller pill.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Olive oil burns the back of my throat - what does it mea

Post by RRM »

Just try some other olive oil,
im sure you will find one that does not cause this burning sensation.
Kasper

Olecanthal

Post by Kasper »

I don't use olive oil.
Too high omega 6:omega 3 ratio in my opinion.
And it also contains olecanthal which work similarly to ibuproven.

"Ingesting 50 grams (about 3½ tablespoons) per day of EVOO corresponds to an intake of about 9mg of olecanthal which is about 10% of the ibuprofen dosage recommended for adult pain relief. It is known that regular low doses of aspirin, another COX inhibitor, results in cardiovascular and other health benefits."

As I don't think it's good for a healthy person to use ibuproven or aspirin daily, I don't think it is good for a healthy person to use olive oil daily.
As a medicine it could do a good job, but not as part of balanced diet in my opinion.
As I don't think we should inhibit COX-1 and COX-2 (in particular COX-1). It can have very positive effect, for people with inflammatory conditions,
but it has also adverse effects.

"COX-1 is a constitutively expressed enzyme with a "house-keeping" role in regulating many normal physiological processes. One of these is in the stomach lining, where prostaglandins serve a protective role, preventing the stomach mucosa from being eroded by its own acid. COX-2 was discovered in 1991 by Daniel L. Simmons at Brigham Young University. COX-2 is an enzyme facultatively expressed in inflammation, and it is inhibition of COX-2 that produces the desirable effects of NSAIDs."

For fat intake I use: coconut oil,red palm oil, egg yolks, meat and fish.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Olive Oil & Ibuprofen > similar throat sensations

Post by RRM »

Oleic acid is a good lipid peroxidation inhibitor. Diplock AD et al

Oleic acid in foods, as percentage of total fat:
Hazelnuts 77%
Olive oil 72% (2% as free oleic acid)
avocado 66%;
rapeseed oil 59%
Macadamia nuts 59%
sheabutter 45%
lard 41%
sesame oil 40%
beef 39%
egg yolks 37%
palm oil 37%
cocoa butter 33%
Brazil nuts 32%
lamb 29%
maize oil 28%
chicken 27%
butter 25%
salmon 22%
sunflower oil 21%
turkey 21%
soybean oil 20%
herring 19%
linseed oil 18%
tuna 17%
grapeseed oil 16%
walnut oil 16%
walnuts 15%
palm kernel oil 14%
mackerel 13%
sardine 12%
coconut oil 7%
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

RRM, what brand of olive oil do you use?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Currently Bertolli, extra virgin.
I really liked the denocciolato, but its finished; i should get some new denocciolato....
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Ahem, that reminds me, I have one can (5 liters) for you. Wanna come and get it? :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ah, perfect!! :)
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

This one? http://www.oleumvieste.com/english/i-pr ... 75-lt.html
... I'm thinking to order
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yes that one (only in a 3 or 5 liter can).