Olive oil vs Macadamia nut oil

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
Kasper
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Olive oil vs Macadamia nut oil

Post by Kasper »

I love (refined) coconut oil, but I would like to add a little bit of fat to my juices.
Normally, olive oil is the preferred option in the wai diet, but I was wondering about macadamia nut oil.
Look at this cart:
oils-fatty-acids-profiles.gif
Why to choose macadamia nut oil ?
I think the balance between omega-6 and omega-3 is a little bit better. And especially, I think the taste is really good.

Why to choose olive oil ?
Price is possibly better and it contains more vitamin E.

Any other argument to choose for olive oil or macadamia nut oil ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Olive oil vs Macadamia nut oil

Post by RRM »

Nice chart.
The top 3 oils seem the (almost equally) best.
The predominant mono-unsaturated in these 3 oils is the same: oleic acid, so no advantage of one over the other here.

Of course, the question is: is there any heat involved in shelling the nuts?
Maia

Post by Maia »

This makes me happy, because I love macademia oil!
Does this really matter that much in this case, if the oil is 100% fat and 0 protein anyway?
A bit beyond perceptions reach
I sometimes believe I see
that life is two locked boxes, each
containing the others key -Piet Hein
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

The predominant mono-unsaturated in these 3 oils is the same: oleic acid, so no advantage of one over the other here.
I don't understand your line of reasoning here. Could you elaborate how you come to this conclussion ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Maia wrote:
Does this really matter that much in this case, if the oil is 100% fat and 0 protein anyway?
Yes, fats are also vulnerable to cooking...
Kasper wrote:
I don't understand your line of reasoning here. Could you elaborate how you come to this conclussion ?
That oleic acid is the predominant mono-unsaturated fat in these oil is shown by nutrition databases.
That oleic acid is beneficial is because of its inhibitory properties regarding lipoxidation.
http://www.waiwiki.org/index.php/Lipid_peroxidation
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

That oleic acid is the predominant mono-unsaturated fat in these oil is shown by nutrition databases.
That oleic acid is beneficial is because of its inhibitory properties regarding lipoxidation.
But how can you conclude out of this that there is "no advantage of one over the other here" for olive oil/macadamia nut oil/avocado oil.
If it comes to oleic acid, those three oils are similar. But that is not the only variable that determines the quality of the oil, right ?

For example, the omega3:omega 6 balance of macadamia nut oil seems better than olive oil.
dime

Post by dime »

The effect of that ratio difference is very likely negligible.
For example this is the latest I've read on this topic:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 222855.htm
"no evidence that a diet high in linoleic acid had any links to inflammation in the body."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kasper wrote:how can you conclude out of this that there is "no advantage of one over the other here"
I specifically used the word "here" at the end.
"Here" in that context means "regarding lipoxidation".
So, the similar content of oleic acid yields no benefit of one of these 3 oils over the other regarding lipoxidation.
the omega3:omega 6 balance of macadamia nut oil seems better than olive oil.
Thats debatable. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3035
There must be quite a range that is perfectly fine.
Consuming sufficient omega-3, there may be no benefit of consuming extra.
And as Dime's study shows, consuming a little more omega-6 (LA) is not pro-inflammatory.
Also, if you dont consume a lot of oil, the difference is neglible compared to the effects of your fish intake.
Kasper

lipoxidation

Post by Kasper »

Okay, that makes more sense to me.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

RRM wrote:
Kasper wrote: Why do you think that the oleic acid content is the main factor regarding lipoxidation ?
I dont.
All I wrote was:
RRM wrote:the similar content of oleic acid yields no benefit of one of these 3 oils over the other
So, i was solely talking about the factor oleic acid, and I did not say that "nor does any other factor".
There are MANY factors at play.
The full sentence was:
So, the similar content of oleic acid yields no benefit of one of these 3 oils over the other regarding lipoxidation.
I interpreted this as: the top 3 oils are equally good regarding lipoxidation. But maybe I interpreted this sentence wrong.
Which oils of this chart above do you think are most beneficial regarding lipoxidation ?

And I still don't understand this:
Why do you think the top 3 oils are almost equally best ?
overkees

Post by overkees »

He thinks the little percentage more omega 6 in the other 2 is neglible regarding inflammatory issues. The fatty acid distribution of avocado and olives are very much alike, so that they don't differ much at all.

I think macadamia oil is superb. It has very little PUFAs, so you can get the HUFAs from fish (EPA) and eggs (AA). Then you can much more easily get a good omega 3 : omega 6 ratio with the omega 3 to the antiinflammatory side because of the EPA.

I also think there has been very little lipid peroxidation (chain reaction and it will smell rancid), even if it was treated with heat, because of the very small PUFA content.

Polyphenols in olive oil are debatably medicine like and therefore less favorable. They also do have the ibuprofen thing going on and acrylamide problems.. and denociolatto, etc. Too much troubles with them damn olives imo.
dime

Post by dime »

You're overlooking the facts that macadamia is probably not raw (vs. extra virgin olive oil), and that it is minimum 3-4x more expensive than olive oil.

For example, this says
After they have been harvested, the extremely hard nuts (oil content =78%) are broken up using special cracking machines, after which they are boiled or roasted (if oil is to be obtained) and reprocessed (e.g. salted, if the nuts are for export).
overkees

Post by overkees »

Then taste will certainly tell the difference. I don't know how macadamia oil tastes, if it doesn't taste rancid it's safe.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kasper wrote: I interpreted this as: the top 3 oils are equally good regarding lipoxidation. But maybe I interpreted this sentence wrong.
Which oils of this chart above do you think are most beneficial regarding lipoxidation ?
The chart is only about fatty acid composition.
My comment was about the chart.
So, my comment was about the influence on lipoxidation taking only fatty acid composition into account.
If we want to judge these oil regarding lipoxidation, we have to take other factors into account as well.
Im not sure how to weigh these factors (relative to eachother).
Why do you think the top 3 oils are almost equally best ?
They are best balanced, in my view.
No overload of omega 6 nor 3, more or less resembling the diet in general.
High levels of oleic acid.
overkees wrote:
dime wrote:You're overlooking the facts that macadamia is probably not raw (vs. extra virgin olive oil), and that it is minimum 3-4x more expensive than olive oil.
Then taste will certainly tell the difference. I don't know how macadamia oil tastes, if it doesn't taste rancid it's safe.
No, non-raw oils are excluded from this diet.