No oil at all?

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
MarciavD
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

No oil at all?

Post by MarciavD »

Since a couple of weeks I stopped using oil.

I always thought it was mandatory to use (a lot of) oil with my fruits and I used it without restriction and maybe even in abundance.
But if I understand correctly - after reading even more posts - , it isn't obliged at all? The 'fat with or after every meal' is a guideline for people who start Wai and therefore might nog be well aware of their blood sugar levels?

I'm still not very good at eating small meals, but now I don't use oil, it seems I finally get rid off some body fat and it's easier to control my cravings. Does that make any sense? Could the combination of fat and sugars be the culprit of my cravings and laaaaaarge meals?

The fat I eat now only comes from yolks (4-6 a day). Is that too little fat or is it okay? I do feel fine (maybe even better) without oil. My sugar-fat ratio is like 7:1 (not in grams, but in energy / kcal) and sometimes even more sugars. I do have a very active lifestyle : walking 3-4 hours a day, fitness 3 times a week and 3 times running 5-6 km.

So, main question: is it okay to not use oil at all?
Kasper

Re: No oil at all?

Post by Kasper »

I do best with very little oil as well. I eat 6 meals, with around 75-100 gram of sugar per meal, and 5 gram of fat from coconut oil. And 3 egg yolks and 2 oysters in the evening. Also around 10 gram of fat from dairy (lets call it much food).

So this is surely verry little fat, and very much sugar, but I feel great. I walk quite a lot, and I have a very mental demanding job (programming), I think carbs are maybe preferred for those activities.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

@ Kasper, clever!

{much food, vs. munch food, it is probably verry merry much both.} :wink:
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

How much protein is your sugar?
How much protein is your verry much food?
{just for curiosity, not asking what they are.} :wink:
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

Kasper wrote:I do best with very little oil as well. I eat 6 meals, with around 75-100 gram of sugar per meal, and 5 gram of fat from coconut oil. And 3 egg yolks and 2 oysters in the evening. Also around 10 gram of fat from dairy (lets call it much food).

So this is surely verry little fat, and very much sugar, but I feel great. I walk quite a lot, and I have a very mental demanding job (programming), I think carbs are maybe preferred for those activities.
so how much daily grams of carbs : protein : fat do you eat per day? Protein is interesting, because 3 yolks and 2 oysters are very little, no?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

MarciavD wrote:is it okay to not use oil at all?
Absolutely.
We need dietary fat, but we do not specifically need oil.
Yolks, fish, avocado, nuts etc already contain all the fats that we need.
It is recommended for beginners because particularly in the beginning it may be very hard to properly listen to your energy needs.
On a normal diet, you are not 'taught' to listen to your energy needs.
That means that when you shift to the Wai Diet, you may still overeat occasionally.
In that case, fat helps to neutralize the bad effects on insulin.
Whenever you consume more foods while your glycogen already have been fully repleted, the extra incoming sugars and/or protein will keep triggering the release of insulin, but this insulin will fail to evoke the storage of that sugar/protein into glycogen. That sugar/protein will therefore remain in the blood, and repeatedly keep provoking the release of insulin, in vain. This insulin-shortcircuiting is what eventually causes insulin insensitivity.
If sufficient fatty acids are available in the blood, however, that redundant sugar/protein is stored in trriglycerides, thus preventing the insulin-shortcircuiting.

But once on the Wai diet, you rapidly learn to listen to your energy needs, making it less important to always consume sufficient fat.
MarciavD

Post by MarciavD »

Thanks!
I have to say, after two or three weeks (very) low in fat, my mood changed (very grumpy, stressed and agitated) and I started to overeat on a daily basis without ever feeling satisfied.
Since I got back to eating avocados (2 per day), my mood changed back to normal and my appetite is steady. On low fat I ate 3000kcals, now I eat around 2300. Quite a difference!! I also gained easily during high carb low fat.

I still don't use oil, just eat avocado again and a couple of yolks.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

An interesting experiment, in the end :)
MarciavD

Post by MarciavD »

Yes and I don't know why, but suddenly it seems like my body prefers fat instead of sugars. I feel very tired while eating fruits and my energy is more stable on fats.
But now I am heading for WW. I guess that's maybe the best solution for a. preventing spikes in bloodsugarlevel, b. preventing overeating, c. no more food issues during the day, and last but not least: autophagy!

Oscar, you eat in the morning / early afternoon right? Isn't that a problem regarding the reparation of cells (and the body's need for energy) during sleep?
Our do you sleep in the afternoon? ;D
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

MarciavD wrote:Oscar, you eat in the morning / early afternoon right?...
Our do you sleep in the afternoon? ;D
Hamster sleep during the day? :wink:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

No, I usually start eating between 5 and 6pm, no afternoon napping for me (the cute pic notwithstanding ;)).
MarciavD

Post by MarciavD »

Thanks Oscar!
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

Is it true that in order to absorb fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) you must add some oil (or any fats) to juices because otherways those vitamins will be not absorbed and waisted?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

No, it's not a must. You do absorb fat-soluble vitamins (such as vitamin E and K) from veggies and fruits without the presence of fat, but adding oil or other fat does increase the absorption rate of these vitamins (and carotenoids) White WS et al Kim JE et al Booth SL et al
Vitamin D is usually only contained in fatty particles in foods such as fatty fish (eg salmon) and egg yolks, but is also perfectly absorbed from mushrooms containing much vitamin D2.Keegan RJ et al Urbain P et al