Medium Chain Tryglycerides (MCT)

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
avo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by avo »

RRM, you didn't exactly respond to the concerns brought about regarding MCTs. While coconut oil is not a 'MCT' like Wikipedia said, it does contain a large amount of these. What is your opinion on how MCTs are metabolized, and what effect does coconut oil have in the body? How is it utilized and are there any effects that may occur following Wai diet using coconut oil?
avo

Post by avo »

Also, even though I'd prefer my previous questions to be answered :D, what about palm oil? From what I've read it is similar to coconut oil, except high in some nutrients (especially red palm oil).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avo wrote:RRM, you didn't exactly respond to the concerns brought about regarding MCTs.
Im sorry, I was obviously too much in a hurry to read the questions properly.

What is your opinion on how MCTs are metabolized, and what effect does coconut oil have in the body?
The whole problem with issues such as these is that they are generally taken out of context; you need to integrate such issues into the wider issue of energy metabolism.
For example:
rischott wrote:]MCT's are shorter chained and almost always go directly to the liver to be burned for energy, correct?
No, that depends on your energy levels when you consume them. When blood energy levels are relatively high, insulin prevents utilization of these fats. When blood glucose levels are relatively low, glucose needs to be spared, and more of these fats are utilized for energy.

So, there is not one way of coping with these fats; it totally depends.
There is not a set effect that these fats have inside our body.
shouldn't we not eat Coconut oil along with other sugars since MCT's have no storage capacity?
They do.
This study shows that MCTs (MCFA actually) are not used solely as a source of energy, but that they will also be stored in adipose fat, after re-esterification or for chain elongation purposes.
And if we ate coconut oil alone, wouldn't that supply sufficient energy for a period of time?
Its best to combine fats with sugars. Sure, you will survive on oil alone, but thats not the issue, I think.
avo wrote:How is it utilized and are there any effects that may occur following Wai diet using coconut oil
One of the basic principles of this diet is that you take in food accodring to your need for energy, and given that, you will not experience 'good' or 'bad' effects from consuming coconut oil instead of oo, for example; it 'will just do its job' (delivering the energy that you need).
avo wrote:Also, even though I'd prefer my previous questions to be answered :D
Can you please ask again what still needs to be answered?
what about palm oil? From what I've read it is similar to coconut oil, except high in some nutrients (especially red palm oil).
I know there is extra virgin palm oil available, but we dont fancy the high levels of antioxidants. It is specifically used as a frying agent and in the cosmetic indistry.
avo

Post by avo »

Thanks RRM, I think you answered everything.

Now, my only concern is that anytime I have some coconut oil with fruit, I don't get hungry again for way too long. I had a mango with a tablespoon of the oil, and I didn't get hungry for about 3-4 hours, before I finally just resumed eating even though I could have went longer. When I use OO or no oil at all, I get hungry a lot quicker, like less than half the time. Also, the coconut taste is getting to me, I really don't like it anymore, even thinking about it makes me slightly nauseous. It also makes me feel hot and stuffy, but it could also be the weather :). I almost want to try avocado oil now, but I should refrain because it might turn out to be avocados that I'm allergic to.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Yea, I have felt naucous from coconut oil, too. I don't know if this is true, but there is a thread on a low carb site that says if you have too much yeast or bad yeast or something like that the coconut oil will kill it and the dead yeast will make you feel sick. They say if you keep taking it regulary you will final have no more of this happening and it wont make you feel sick. This sounds crazy to me, but I really dont' know.

I can say there have been times that it made me feel naucous and other times it didn't. It is gross by itslef, tastes like lard. I mix it in my smoothies.
Agent

Post by Agent »

Coconut oil mixed in with mashed banana is a goodun ;)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avo wrote:anytime I have some coconut oil with fruit, I don't get hungry again for way too long. ... Also, the coconut taste is getting to me, I really don't like it anymore, even thinking about it makes me slightly nauseous.
The latter causes the first.
As an alternative, you could try eating much more frequently with much less fat.
avo

Post by avo »

johndela1, thanks for reminding me about that property of coconut oil, it had slipped my mind. I strongly believe that I have a bout of candidia, the severity of it flucuates, based on other aspects of my life and lifestyle. I do have the classic symptoms, and I have done the at-home test which tested positive pretty strongly. I've tried doing the no-fruit/sugar thing before, maybe Wai way of eating will have more luck fighting the candidia than the former attempt.