Problems with coconut oil!?

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
Terence
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Problems with coconut oil!?

Post by Terence »

I tried coconut oil several times and always got bloating, gas and stinky liquid stools.

Has anybody here made the same experiences?

I wonder if my body needs time to adjust to coconut oil? But the longer I eat it the worse everything gets. Olive oil seems to soothe this condition...

Terence
benzapp

Re: Problems with coconut oil!?

Post by benzapp »

Terence wrote:I tried coconut oil several times and always got bloating, gas and stinky liquid stools.

Has anybody here made the same experiences?

I wonder if my body needs time to adjust to coconut oil? But the longer I eat it the worse everything gets. Olive oil seems to soothe this condition...

Terence
No, I have never had that happen. Does this happen when you eat coconut?

But, it's not like you have to use coconut oil. If it doesn't sit well with you, don't use it!
Terence

Post by Terence »

benzapp wrote:No, I have never had that happen. Does this happen when you eat coconut?

But, it's not like you have to use coconut oil. If it doesn't sit well with you, don't use it!
How much coconut oil do you eat per day round about?

Terence
benzapp

Post by benzapp »

Terence wrote:
benzapp wrote:No, I have never had that happen. Does this happen when you eat coconut?

Terence
I probably consume 5-6 tablespoons per day. I use it with orange juice exclusively.
Terence

Post by Terence »

benzapp wrote:
Terence wrote:

Terence
I probably consume 5-6 tablespoons per day. I use it with orange juice exclusively.
People who use coconut oil mostly talk about homeopathic doses only.
How much are 5-6 tablespoons? I guess round about 40-50 grams, right?

To get enough energy I need at least 150 grams of pure fat.
I wonder if it is possible to eat such amounts of coconut per day?

Have you tried to eat more? Which brand do you use?

I have always the feeling that coconut oil is more powerful than olive oil. It protects better against sugar highs and gives me somehow more strength.

Terence
benzapp

Post by benzapp »

Terence wrote:People who use coconut oil mostly talk about homeopathic doses only.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but as this is forum involving a diet that is mostly raw, you will find all forms of cold-pressed oils used by forum members.
How much are 5-6 tablespoons? I guess round about 40-50 grams, right?

To get enough energy I need at least 150 grams of pure fat.
I wonder if it is possible to eat such amounts of coconut per day?
I didn't mean to imply that coconut oil was my exclusive oil. If you follow a diet such as this for many years, you will come to appreciate and need the variety that comes with the many oils that are available. Most of my fat intake undoubtedly comes from avocados and olive oil. I just happen to like the nut oils with my orange juice. Other oils I use are Macadamia nut oil and hazlenut oil.
Have you tried to eat more? Which brand do you use?
I typically can't eat too many nuts. I occasionally used shaved coconut on salads, but I don't eat it straight. There are a number of brands, NOW! produces a satisfactory cold-pressed version that is pretty inexpensive.

This organization also makes it, but it's more expensive. I get it at a food co-op here in Brooklyn that is somewhat cheaper than the site, about $9.00 per jar.

http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/stor ... p?catid=30

I have always the feeling that coconut oil is more powerful than olive oil. It protects better against sugar highs and gives me somehow more strength.

Terence
I can't say I've noticed this myself, but variety is key on this diet I believe. If it works for you, and you're ok with it, that's great!
Terence

Post by Terence »

benzapp wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean, but as this is forum involving a diet that is mostly raw, you will find all forms of cold-pressed oils used by forum members.
I meant that people usually use coconut oil in small amounts, like 3-4 tablespoons.
benzapp wrote:I didn't mean to imply that coconut oil was my exclusive oil. If you follow a diet such as this for many years, you will come to appreciate and need the variety that comes with the many oils that are available. Most of my fat intake undoubtedly comes from avocados and olive oil. I just happen to like the nut oils with my orange juice. Other oils I use are Macadamia nut oil and hazlenut oil.
RRM just told me that he uses olive oil exclusively. So I wonder if this variety is really a must on this diet?
Do you feel any deficiencies if you don´t use several different fats?

Thanks for your tip regarding suppliers for oils.

How much fat/oil to you consume daily in total? (I´m just curious)

Terence
benzapp

Post by benzapp »

Terence wrote:I meant that people usually use coconut oil in small amounts, like 3-4 tablespoons.
If you are an active man, there is little difference between 3-4 and 5-6 tablespoons. Orange juice and oil is the only way I can easily keep my energy levels high throughout my often busy days, especially so that I don't lose muscle mass.
RRM just told me that he uses olive oil exclusively. So I wonder if this variety is really a must on this diet?
Do you feel any deficiencies if you don´t use several different fats?

Thanks for your tip regarding suppliers for oils.

How much fat/oil to you consume daily in total? (I´m just curious)

Terence
It is very tempting when you first begin this diet to attempt to eat a perfect diet with ideal ratios of all necessary nutrients. You will go mad doing this for the long term though. I don't monitor the precise caloric intake I consume on a daily basis. The great benefit of this diet is that when you are free of the influencing effects of flavor enahancers, your cravings change depending upon your needs at a specific time.

That said, I did not say variety is a necessity for health reasons, only for the sake of variety. If you can handle simply consuming olive oil, that's fine. But everyone I know who has tried this diet, without exception, always complains about the lack of variety. Changing the oils you use is a great way to make every day meals like the staple tomato/cucumber salad taste very different.

I personally think olive oil and orange juice doesn't taste very good, and many people I know feel this way too. Nut oils however seem to complement the flavor of orange juice quite well.

In my experience, there is no functional difference between the various oils. I use them interchanginbly at whim, and feel fine.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

What I use, is just my personal preference, and says nothing about what is a must.
There are some things that are a must, but we have layed them out very clearly (that you need both fruits and animal food, for example), I think.
Most things are up to your own experience. Everybody is different and needs different things.
I, for example, need very little variety, and thats why OO with OJ will do for most of the day, all days. I agree fully with Ben that you can use different oils to easily create more variety.
Do what ever you need to do to make this diet work for you.
Terence

Post by Terence »

RRM wrote:What I use, is just my personal preference, and says nothing about what is a must.
Of course, it is. If YOU are able to rely solely on olive oil then it IS possible.
And it can be possible for other people, too. So, there is NOT a must for variety. Logical or not?
RRM wrote:Everybody is different and needs different things.
I, for example, need very little variety, and thats why OO with OJ will do for most of the day, all days.
"Everybody is different" is just another modern myth, IMO.
People can have different needs due to former bad diets or illnesses,
but generally human bodies are very very similar.
RRM wrote:I agree fully with Ben that you can use different oils to easily create more variety.
Ben claimed that you SHOULD use different oils to make this diet succesful.

Terence
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I'm the same as RRM, in that I only use olive oil, and need very little (or no) variety.
Terence

Post by Terence »

Oscar wrote:I'm the same as RRM, in that I only use olive oil, and need very little (or no) variety.
That´s interesting. How long have you been using olive oil nearly exclusively?
And how much oil do you use per day round about? I´m just curious.
I need round about 150grams to get enough energy...

Terence
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

About a year now. I use around 72gr (or ml actually) per day.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Terence wrote:
RRM wrote:What I use, is just my personal preference, and says nothing about what is a must.
Of course, it is. If YOU are able to rely solely on olive oil then it IS possible.
And it can be possible for other people, too. So, there is NOT a must for variety. Logical or not?
Not necessarily.
If I am able to rely solely on olive oil, then it is possible for ME.
What is possible for some, is not possible for others. For some, variety IS a must.
Terence wrote:"Everybody is different" is just another modern myth, IMO.
People can have different needs due to former bad diets or illnesses,
but generally human bodies are very very similar.
The body, yes. The mind, no. The body and the mind are hard to separate.
The need for variety may be just a need of the mind, that doesnt make it less real in practise.
Terence wrote:
RRM wrote:I agree fully with Ben that you can use different oils to easily create more variety.
Ben claimed that you SHOULD use different oils to make this diet succesful.
What he said was:
benzapp wrote:That said, I did not say variety is a necessity for health reasons, only for the sake of variety. If you can handle simply consuming olive oil, that's fine. But everyone I know who has tried this diet, without exception, always complains about the lack of variety.
In the first sentence the word "necessity" does not imply that "you should", but is only used to point out that his statement was regarding variety, not health. That the term "necessity" does not imply that "you should", is demonstrated by the sentence in bold characters.
Also, he just says that he knows no people that dont need the variety. He does not claim at all that there are no people that dont need the variety.
So, from my point of view Ben said that you CAN use different oils to create some variety, not that you (everybody) SHOULD.
benzapp wrote:Changing the oils you use is a great way to make every day meals like the staple tomato/cucumber salad taste very different.
avalon

Post by avalon »

RRM Wrote:
The body and the mind are hard to separate.
Tell that to Dr. Frankenstien :shock: :D :D

Personally, for me, variety amongst the oils is the least of my concerns. Since there really aren't many choices to begin with. I find the variety of fruits and fish of greater importance.

How does one come to rely on juice and oil for such energy? What about eating an apple with walnuts or brazil nuts? Small apples or tangerines or any small fruit eaten whole with oil or nuts. Spread a little coconut oil on every piece of fruit you eat :) mix some coconut oil into mashed bananas. Think creatively. If you're home and have a blender, try making a banana strawberry smoothie with coconut oil, YUM!

One lable from 'NOW' says there are 14 grams of fat per tablespoon making 6 tablesppons 84 grams of fat. Add an avocado which could be around 31 grams of fat and you're not far from your goal.

Avalon :)