Need good olive oil

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by RRM »

and from another thread:
Seth wrote: Considering how many different manufacturers of olive oils there are, I thought it would be interesting to see which one(s) people prefer.

So far, I have found Martinis Kalamata Extra Virgin Olive Oil to be the best one I have come across. In the states Trader Joe's carries it.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dionysus wrote:For me its all to do with the price. I buy the cheapest :|
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

RRM wrote:For me its about taste. For me they need to be rather tasteless without any bitterness.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:
RRM wrote:For me its about taste. For me they need to be rather tasteless without any bitterness.
So which brands do you find the most tasteless? :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

RRM wrote:I havent tried many, but so far Bertoli is good enough for me.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oscar wrote:I thought we already had a thread about this, but at the moment I'm quite happy with Fertilia Organic Greek olive oil.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

MrPC wrote:RRM, when I search Bertoli, I find it with 2 'l's, Bertolli. Is this the same brand? They make multiple kinds of EVOO, some are suppose to be more mild than others. Do you just buy their regular EVOO? Would you recommend *not* buying it from a plastic bottle?

Also, I remember a thread talking about putting oil in the fridge and checking for snow flakes, but I can't find it anywhere now. I did an experiment with 3 kinds of oil. The first kind turned a light colour and had flakes. The second didn't turn light, and had less flakes, and the third has these bright green clumps while the rest of the liquid looks black. The inch at the bottem is one chunk of the green stuff. I think it might be solidified fat. But there are no snowflakes on the side.

Can anyone tell me what this means?

Thanks.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oscar wrote:I thought we already had a thread about this
You are right, Oscar...
there actually were a few ones, so i put them together
(and then we also still have the sticky one on top)
MrPC wrote:RRM, when I search Bertoli, I find it with 2 'l's, Bertolli. Is this the same brand?
I misspelled. 2 Ls indeed.
I personally like the "fruity" one.
Would you recommend *not* buying it from a plastic bottle?
sure.
gianni

Post by gianni »

I like the Lapas brand that I buy at Whole Foods. I also don't like olive oils with a lot of flavor or bitterness, and Lapas is very mild. Someone told me that olive oils from Greece tend to be more mild, and I have found that to be true.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

For a while now I've been using Salvagno, an Italian olive oil from Nesente-Verona.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

The only Bertolli Olive Oil I can find (in Canada) comes in plastic. How *bad* would using plastic b in this case? What if I were to transfer it to glass as soon as I've opened it?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The less flexible the plastic, the less bad it is.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

The less flexible the plastic, the less bad it is.
Why is it so?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The more flexible the plastic is, the more plasticizers it contains. I think that in plastic the plasticizers used are usually phthalates.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

My sister just bought me a 3L tin of Berio olive oil while she was in Italy. I haven't opened it yet, but I'm thinking it should be pretty decant since she bought it in Italy. She asked the guy if it was late harvest and he said yes, but she thinks he didn't understand the question because it was in English.

I actually have 3 different bottles of OO including my sister's, one's 'Irresistibles' organic mild extra virgin, and the other is Antichi Sapori, which looks yellower than other oils I've tried and is unfiltered.

Out of all the oils I've put in the fridge, only one has ever gotten snowflakes on the glass when put in the fridge; the other have all just developed light coloured clumps that float around or settle to the bottom in a big clump.