Need good olive oil

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
Jerry
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Good olive oil / Brands

Post by Jerry »

I search around local store and found only Bertolli...

Bertolli

But, I found another interesting article regarding their products and some others...

The Olive Oil Scandal

So, is it ok to buy? What brand you guys currently use?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Need good olive oil

Post by RRM »

Totally disregard the 'nutritional value of polyphenols'. They are not nutrients.
The antioxydants in fruits, fresh raw fish and egg yolks are all you need.

Only focus on whether the oil really is extra virgin / cold pressed, and 100% pure olive oil.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hi Jerry,
Don't know where you live but I would check the health food stores. They have more choices and good quality extra virgin cold pressed olive oils.
I live in the Netherlands and find the Akwarius/Demeter olive oil the best and best tasting.it's quite "soft" and I like it pure so...
"You cannot do something you don't know IF you keep on doing what you know"
F.M. Alexander
marika

Post by marika »

Try Bariani.
http://www.barianioliveoil.com/

There is an enormous difference between this and the "extra virgin" olive oils you can get in the regular grocery store. Try it once and you will see. It isn't only taste, it's also fragrance. At work, when I started using it on my salads, people always said, "Ooh, that smells so good!"

It's California olives, though, not Italian ones.
Brahmaloka

Post by Brahmaloka »

I use Borges...

a Spanish extra virgin oil

very nice...
Brahmz :)
www.ibsexplained.com
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I starting using Mazola 100% pure Extra Virgin Olive Oil First cold pressed, comes in a glass bottle unlike most of their other oils. I'm quite sure you can find this anywhere at a local grocery store.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

I use Biona organic extra virgin olive oil... I could drink the stuff it's so beautifully smooth and mild-tasting. I buy it online from: www.goodnessdirect.co.uk
Justin

Post by Justin »

great site, thanx curlygirl. the coconut oil and big packs of dried fruit (3kg) are the best value foods i've found on this site. much cheaper than i've found elsewhere in the UK. :D
tjfillion

Post by tjfillion »

Anyone else purchase some oils online? I can't buy curlygurl's since I'm in the U.S. and I'm having trouble finding a good oil at the store. I will try bariani though.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Hi tjfillion,

Sorry - can't help you with internet shopping for people in the U.S. Surely some good sites will come up if you do a Google search?

Hi Justin,

oooh, I'm glad you've discovered the delights of Goodness Direct! I absolutely love it. Sometimes I have problems with deliveries ('cos I'm not always at home when the postman comes with my box of dried fruit and olive oil) but otherwise, I've had no troubles with GD, and their stuff really is good value. Enjoy!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

From a different thread:
Iris wrote: because iy can be very hard to find a good olive oil (and it can be really frustrating to buy disappointment after disappointment :wink: ) I thought I'd post a recommendation: Valderama Ocal. The munufacturer states it is so mild, you could almost drink it straight out of the bottle. I use it for a long time now. Unfortunately the doubled the price recently :shock: :roll: because the demand seems to be very high, while the supply isn't. Nevertheless, you can hardly taste it in Orange juice (well, ofcourse you can taste it, it it isn't bitter tasting). I'm not an olive oil fan at all, I used to hate it for baking etc (pre Wai, that is) But this one really is ok!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oscar wrote: Thanks Iris. Where do you get it?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Iris wrote: Online (not one particular shop, last tima here: www.dailyfood.nl)
You can find online shops at the Valderama website (at least, the Duch website, don't know about other countries). But I am sure it's available outside the Netherlands too.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oscar wrote: Found it. It's actually Valderrama. ;)
Yeah expensive...we usually get a 1.5 liter bottle for 35 euros (or is it 40?).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

And from yet another thread:
Me PC wrote:So is it totally impossible to get real cold-pressed olive oil from a supermarket? Even if the bottle states that and lists olives as the only ingredient? I don't know if I can afford to go to a specialized shop, and I really have no idea how olives should taste. Is it possible I've been eating bad oil all this time?

Anyways have specific brands they use?

Here is another link which talks about this

http://oliveoilonly.org/impurity/Adulteration.htm
Sure, there are good and bad oo's
There are also lots of different supermarkets,
and many supermarkets also sell high quality OO.
In this thread a brand is named, and there are more threads about this subject,
where you can find out about other brands.