enzyme inhibitors, soaking nuts

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
Maleko
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

enzyme inhibitors, soaking nuts

Post by Maleko »

I have avoided raw nuts for years, since most contain large quantities of enzyme inhibitors, as well as other substances in the skins, I do eat some almonds after soaking for 15 hours, and making almond milk. I eat alot of sashimi.

Do brazil nuts contain less enzyme inhibitors than other nuts? What about soaking them? Does anyone make milk from them?
Oscar
Administrator

Re: enzyme inhibitors, soaking nuts

Post by Oscar »

What enzyme inhibitors do nuts contain? At the moment I'm not eating any nuts myself.
Maleko

Post by Maleko »

Well, as to what enzyme inhibitors they contain, I suppose its just heresay, because after all I have never seen one. I guess it goes back to my days of studying Edward Howell who says:

Q: Do you recommend all raw foods as sources of enzymes?
HOWELL: No. There are some foods, seeds and nuts, that contain what are called enzyme inhibitors. These enzyme inhibitors are present for the protection of the seed. Nature doesn't want the seed to germinate prematurely and lose its life. It wants to make sure that the seed is present in soil with sufficient moisture to grow and continue the species. Therefore, when you eat raw seeds or raw nuts, you are swallowing enzyme inhibitors which will neutralize some of the enzymes your body produces. In fact, eating foods with enzyme inhibitors causes a swelling of the pancreas. All nuts and seeds contain these inhibitors. Raw peanuts, for example, contain an especially large amount. Raw wheat germ is also one of the worst offenders. In addition, all peas, beans and lentils contain some. Potatoes, which are seeds, have enzyme inhibitors. In eggs, which are also seeds, the inhibitor is contained mainly in the eggwhite. As a general rule, enzyme inhibitors are confined to the seed portions of food. For instance, the eyes of potatoes. The inhibitors are not present in the fleshy portions of fruits or in the leaves and stems of vegetables. There are two ways to destroy enzyme inhibitors. The first is cooking; however, this also destroys the enzymes. The second way, which is preferable, is sprouting. This destroys the enzyme inhibitors and also increases the enzyme content from a factor of 3 to 6. Some foods, like soybeans, must be especially well heated to destroy the inhibitors. For example, many of the soy flours and powders on the market were not heated enough to destroy the inhibitors. There is one other way to neutralize enzyme inhibitors, but we'll get to it in just a minute."

In his books, he has some sections dealing with enzyme inhibitors and his experiments, I dont have the book handy, if I recall, it does list some specifics. Perhaps seeds give nuts a bad rap lol.
Maleko

Post by Maleko »

i have heard they contain phytates, or phytic acid.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Originally posted by Maleko:
Well, as to what enzyme inhibitors they contain, I suppose its just heresay, because after all I have never seen one.
:D
Originally posted by Maleko:
Raw peanuts, for example, contain an especially large amount.
Of course peanuts aren't nuts (no pun intended ;) ), and are not to be eaten raw (if you can find them raw anyway). The same goes for cashew nuts.

He talks about wheat germ, peas, beans, lentils, etc, but I think we're not supposed to eat those anyway, and certainly not raw. If we can't eat something directly raw, then I think we shouldn't. Nuts can be eaten raw, with some things to watch out for. See here.

He's right about eggs, in the sense that they do contain B8 and trypsin inhibitors in the eggwhite.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

In respons to questions posed in a different forum:
avalon wrote:NUTS, when eaten plain and/or in quantity and/or too often, cause carbohydrate toxicity.
Toxic carbs?
Weird statement.
I guess its a reference to the enzyminhibitors; its not healthy to poison yourself with these. Even if you would want to, that would be very hard, as your body doesnt like to ingest them. You would really need to stuff yourself, and your body would respond by vomiting.
Raw nuts contain enzyme inhibitors that prevent proper protein digestion and cause mineral loss.
Some nuts contain very little enzyminhibitors (Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts), while others contain more (walnuts) or much more (chestnuts).
Only some of the protein is not digested if the nuts contain much enzyminhiobitors, but that is not problem regarding protein, as nuts are high in protein.
And only some of the minerals get lost (bound by phytic acid for example), which isnt a real problem either, as nuts are also high in minerals.

When you start eating walnuts, you will, at a certain point, notice that your appetite for these nuts decreases rapidly, which is caused by those enzyminhibitors. Naturally, you simply cannot eat much of them.

A handful of easy to digest nuts daily is perfect, and perfectly digested.
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

fermenting nuts gets rid of the phytic acid and soaking them gets rid of the enzyme inhibitors so why not soak them for 24 hours, make milk (i have a milk maker! it's ace!), and then add kefir grains (not really a grain, a culture), leave for 24 hours, strain the kefir, and drink!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

And if you want to do so, you better take nuts that are very low in phytic acid (or contain no phytic acid at all) and are very easy to digest in the first place, because also fermenting/soaking doesnt remove ALL the phytic acid...