fatty acid ratios in nuts

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
Maleko
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

fatty acid ratios in nuts

Post by Maleko »

here's a quote:

"Here's the n6/n3 ratios of commonly consumed nuts. Walnuts are best with a ratio of 4.2:1, followed by macadamia nuts with a ratio of 6.3:1. So macadamia nuts have a little more than six times the amount of n6 fatty acids than n3 fatty acids. We estimate that in Stone Age diets people would have had a net dietary n6 to n3 ratio of between 2-3:1. Consequently, high consumption of nuts can swing the n6/n3 balance too high in favor of n6 fatty acids."

What is your take on this, because in my experience i have noticed the eating nuts in moderation does throws my fatty acids levels out of whack. I do better on raw fish. Thoughts?
Brian
Administrator

Re: fatty acid ratios in nuts

Post by Brian »

What is your take on this, because in my experience i have noticed the eating nuts in moderation does throws my fatty acids levels out of whack.
How did you notice this?
Have you experienced effects from this or is it some test telling you this?

I'm honestly curious, because sometimes I really don't feel like eating nuts (macadamia or brazil), but I have no explanation for it, except I guess that my body doesn't want those nutrients right now.
Maleko

Post by Maleko »

For me its experienced based. I would guess its based primarily on eicosanoid levels. Its an overall sense of the inflammatory level of my body, and my pain and mood levels. I have always been very sensitive to fatty acid fluctuations, like when I eat Borage seed oil, I feel mild flu like symptoms, where my whole body feels achy and irritable. Or if I ever have trans fats(which is never now) I feel more inflammatory, and my mood drops, especially the next morning.

Fish oil tends to do the opposite. Although, I was more responsive to fish oil when i first started taking it.

Seems if I eat too many nuts or too many saturated fats, my 'good' fatty acid levels drop some. And f I eat too much saturated fats, even if they are raw, I feel my oxygen levels and my good fatty acid levels drop.

For me, I seem to do better on less fat, though I must say, organic free range Egg yolks are probably the best. I haven't noticed anything negative yet. The fatty acids seem to be very balanced. I think its a 2:1 or 1:1 ratio?
Maleko

Post by Maleko »

Flax seed oil used to make me feel yucky too, and not only that but the smell and taste was pretty repulsive, my body knew I shouldn't be swallowing that rancid stuff. I haven't taken it for years. I think it skews the good fatty acid levels too.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Thats exactly how the body works: if it needs more of a certain nutrient, it will increase appetite for foods containing relatively much of that nutrient.
Walnuts are best with a ratio of 4.2:1
No, walnuts are not BETTER, just different. For example, if you would be eating lots of salmon, your body would increase the appetite for nuts to balance the omega-3 and 6's again.

We tend to think that some nutrients are better than others, but that is not correct; we need all nutrients in balance. Your body will steer you to eating the right foods to accomplish optimum balance (provided its not the appetite-enhancers that steer you).
Flax seed oil used to make me feel yucky too
Yes, because it contains way too much omega-3's (relative to 6's and 9's); 53% of total are omega-3 fats, which is an incredibly high percentage.
huntress

Post by huntress »

For example, if you would be eating lots of salmon, your body would increase the appetite for nuts to balance the omega-3 and 6's again.

Hi RRM :D

I have been eating Salmon everyday since the past one week, and I noticed that I have been having cravings for nuts. My question is, I have been consuming 300g of salmon, 2 egg yolks, and a handful of brazil/macadamia in one day, I was just wondering if this would be too much?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Hi huntress :wink:

Yes, thats a lot of protein!! (for a smooth skin, you might want to decrease that a bit)
But thats not what you meant, I guess...
Well, if your body craves for nuts, it may indeed mean that you were ingesting a little too much omega3, since it wants some nuts (which will balance that).
In general, your body is right, even when we are not sure about the exact reasons!
Going back to my first remark, it would be wiser to consume a little less salmon (200 gram max) instead of consuming more nuts. You may ingest the extra energy required from fruits/juices.