In-shell Brazils-are they also exposed to heat?

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
JWSM
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

In-shell Brazils-are they also exposed to heat?

Post by JWSM »

Hi there, does anyone have any thoughts on how Brazil nuts are processed before they are made available to buy? Even those in their shells? Are they not exposed to heat at some point to dry them? What are peoples' ideas on this? Anyone else have this concern?
jfk

Post by jfk »

I don't know about Brazil nuts, but I posed the same question to a fruit/veg vendor with regards to in shell walnuts. He told me that you can buy 'wet walnuts' which have a fairly short shelf life but are not at all heat treated or the other variety which have been slowly dried in an oven. These both come with their shells on but they don't taste the same.

I went walnut picking last year and the fresh ones were noticibly more moist (hence 'wet walnuts') and also tastier. I don't really eat any nuts now, have you suffered any adverse reaction to the Brazil nuts? Perhaps you could let your skin guide you to a definitive answer. :)
JWSM

Post by JWSM »

I've been a raw foodist for almost 3 years and am highly sensitive so generally avoid nuts in favour of avocados (and egg yolks) but upon seeing that in-shell Brazils have made a recent return to British supermarket shelves I gave them a go, a small amount only. Have suffered no adversity in my skin though I'm dubious about how they are processed, hence my question. :wink:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Welcome on the forum. :)

I don't have an answer to the question, but I did try out the two walnut kinds. Personally I don't eat nuts on a regular basis, but it would be good to know to what extent those nuts are heated.

Have you been eating according to the Wai Diet those 3 years, or in a different way?
JWSM

Post by JWSM »

Hi. Thanks.
Initially, it was a case of wanting to detox and although I was raised a vegetarian and following a gluten free diet, I wanted to go further. I was raw vegan for about 6 months but after discovering the Wai system and finding sense in its principals, I've never looked back. I follow it strictly, consuming low glycemic fruits and egg yolks only.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Ah, interesting. Any specific reason why only low glycemic fruits?
JWSM

Post by JWSM »

Well since you ask, I suppose there are a couple of reasons. Firstly, I haven't much of a 'sweet tooth' :wink: but also, I find so many fruits to be just far too sweet! As if they've been grown without such regard for their nutritional value, nut merely for their sugar levels.
I prefer to eat things with higher levels of antioxidants, produce which is simply more nutrient dense.
This isn't to say there haven't been periods of time when I've eaten more sweet fruits, but just that I've found certain ones to be less in tune with my own physiology than others therefore stick with what's best for me.
It's all been a learning curve and experimental, and we each must discover what agrees with us personally.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

JWSM wrote:I prefer to eat things with higher levels of antioxidants, ...
Why? I mean, is this a conscious decision or what your body tells you?
JWSM wrote:...produce which is simply more nutrient dense.
So what kind of fruits do you eat?
JWSM wrote:...but just that I've found certain ones to be less in tune with my own physiology than others...
How did you figure this out?