Chemical pasteurization

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
MJ
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Chemical pasteurization

Post by MJ »

I was buying unshelled almonds from nutsonline.com and they said that the almonds were chemically pasteurized and not heat pasteurized. Because the almond nut is still in the shell, is the meat of the nut still considered "clean" as far as pasteurization (since it was not heated) and the Wai Diet? Also, does the shell protect the meat of the nut from the chemical?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hmm, good question. I don't know, but I guess it depends on how porous the almond shell is.
Christina

Post by Christina »

I would think that the chemicals reached the almond. What difference would the procedure make, otherwise. There was a big protest against this law, coming into action. They did it because some people got salmonella which could supposedly be traced back to almonds. It's the same strand of thinking as, cooking fish because it could have parasites :x Yes there could be parasites and yes there could be salmonella and the ones with lower immune systems are more likely to suffer from sth.. But do we then ruin the whole food so that it doesn't have any bacteria nor goodness in it!!!?
Anyway, this low is active for California almonds. You can buy from somewhere else or find a small grower- we have one in SB- who doesn't fall under that low and sells untreated almonds.
Christina

Post by Christina »

I mean law :?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I think you are right; the pasteurization makes no sense unless there is a substantial effect on whats inside the shell. So, indeed a no-no.