How 'bad' is it to use shelled nuts?

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
Mr. PC
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: How 'bad' is it to use shelled nuts?

Post by Mr. PC »

Hi,

Reading through this, I haven't seen the original question answered. Is it *very* unhealthy to eat heat-shelled nuts? Comparable to Fried Beef, a Big Mac, etc.? Or is it closer to boiled carrots (which I would say are not so 'bad').
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

That depends on how they are heat-shelled.
They may be roasted (very bad), or exposed to temperatures below boiling point (not so bad)
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

When I was at the supermarket I saw some unshelled nuts and I was thinking about buying them. However, next to them there were also unshelled peanuts. But, there was something that intrigued me: the unshelled peanuts are labeled as "Unshelled Roasted Peanuts." This made me wonder if the Unshelled Nuts (Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Almonds) that are usually at the supermarket are roasted too, even though they are unshelled. Do you guys think that they are heated or something like that?

Btw, is it better to eat blanched or unblanched nuts? For example, hazelnuts are kinda hard to blanch. But I would do it if it's better of course!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Peanuts are not really nuts, but a grain legume (beans/peas)
Nuts may be eaten raw, but not peanuts.
Like all beans / peas, peanuts need to be roasted prior to consumption, to eliminate natural alkaloids.
When you see peanuts still in their shells in the supermarket, they are not raw; they have been roasted in their shells.

It is best to eat raw nuts, as heating originates toxins (eg heterocyclic amines)
Nuts in their shell are virtually always raw nuts.
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

RRM wrote:Nuts in their shell are virtually always raw nuts.
Ok then. A person can't trust anything at the supermarket nowadays :? ... About blanching/peeling them, is it necessary? I'm concerned if the skin has much more extra antinutrients, enzyme inhibitors and fiber.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Blanched nuts are briefly boiled.
No, of course nuts do not need to be blanched. There are plenty of nuts that can perfectly be eaten raw; then raw is always better.
Macadamia nuts, cashew nuts, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts etc, can all be eaten raw perfectly.
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

RRM wrote:Blanched nuts are briefly boiled.
No, of course nuts do not need to be blanched. There are plenty of nuts that can perfectly be eaten raw; then raw is always better.
Macadamia nuts, cashew nuts, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts etc, can all be eaten raw perfectly.
Well, I was talking more about me peeling them and not buying them already peeled. Some nuts are really hard to peel... But if it's ok to eat their peel, I will just crack their shell and eat them right way then.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

RRM wrote:...cashew nuts...can [all] be eaten raw perfectly.
Eh?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Novidez

Post by Novidez »

Bookmarked it. Thank you RRM! ;D
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Ah right, same goes for raw shelled nuts.