Brazil nuts in UK / EU

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
Jodiat
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Brazil nuts in UK / EU

Post by Jodiat »

Hi guys, I bought some brazil nuts yesterday and they were shelled but I thought - what the hey. Today I was in Tesco and they are selling 800g unshelled Brazil nuts over the christmas period! I just got home and cracked 3 open and compared the difference to the shelled nuts.

The look of an fresh brazil nut is white like paper - where as the unshelled nut is yellow looking. Maybe this is due to the oil going rancid?

There is more of a crunch to a fresh nut and the taste of the fat in the nut is cleaner almost tasteless.

Im sold on the idea of never eating an unshelled nut again!

Liam
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Lucky you! For most of us in Europe it's very hard to get unshelled brazil nuts. :)
Jodiat

Post by Jodiat »

I know, but Tesco online might ship also as they sell them. They also are shelled walnuts which I might tryout. My only worry is I seem to be sensitive to the omega balance unlike some people on here. I know this is only in season and through the year I dont think I could get any shelled nuts easy.
Jodiat

Post by Jodiat »

I just purchased shelled Walnuts. They taste amazing aswell. You dont get that random off taste of a rancid oil - very clean tasting.
Jodiat

Post by Jodiat »

I mean unshelled sorry
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I know its quite a hassle, and im sorry for bothering you, and of course i understand if you dont want to, but would you be so kind to send me a bag of these unshelled nuts?
Of course i will pay you by using paypal, if thats okay...
Jodiat

Post by Jodiat »

Sure, which ones would you like? These are in season products that in the uk are very easy to come by...very much a tradition food here.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I would like the ones that are still in the shell, naturally...
I will pm you my address.
Thanks a million!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I received your Brazil nuts!!
Thank you very much Jodiat!! :D
Jodiat

Post by Jodiat »

No problems...im trying to get Mo some aswell but they are selling out fast. I can get more if needed but the shipping makes it alittle unpractical (unless money isnt an object).

p.s. the pumpkin was mine for Halloween! (Yes I tried a pumpkin nut, yes I hated it)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Do they have macademia nuts too?
thefourth

Post by thefourth »

I figure I will throw this here rather than starting a new thread...

I know of a store near where I live that also has seasonal unshelled Brazil Nuts-among other nuts, and am wondering how long these nuts will stay fresh if I wanted to buy some extra towards the end of the season and have them last.
Also, any shelling tips? :P I find these somewhat hard to shell well, but I have done some exceptionally well. 8)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

thefourth wrote:how long these nuts will stay fresh if I wanted to buy some extra towards the end of the season and have them last.
Up to years!
I used to buy big sacks of brazil nuts and that was always enough for about 2 years.
At the end about 30% had gone bad. Thats still 70% edible after 2 years.
Also, any shelling tips? :P I find these somewhat hard to shell well, but I have done some exceptionally well. 8)
Yes, use a macadamia nut cracker.
viewtopic.php?t=1624
thefourth

Post by thefourth »

RRM wrote:Up to years!
I used to buy big sacks of brazil nuts and that was always enough for about 2 years.
At the end about 30% had gone bad. Thats still 70% edible after 2 years.
Awesome! I will make sure to stock op on them towards the end of the season. I also came across a bad one straight from the store yesterday... It's very easy to tell if they are bad... gross! :shock:

Yes, use a macadamia nut cracker.
viewtopic.php?t=1624
Looks fancy, I'll see about getting one when I have some extra money... for now a couple of rocks shall work :lol:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

thefourth wrote: It's very easy to tell if they are bad...
Yes, indeed, so no worries there.
Make also sure to remove the brown skin; it doesnt taste good, containing antinutrients.
I'll see about getting one when I have some extra money... for now a couple of rocks shall work :lol:
You can also use a much more simple and cheap macadamia nut cracker:
http://macadamianutcracker.com/