Nuts contain antinutrients

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by RRM »

Jodiat wrote:The Brazil nuts are being over harvested right now
Actually, it seems they harvest only a fraction of the actual available nuts,
as most Brazil nut trees are deep inside the rain forest.
Outside the forest there are planted trees, which might be over harvested indeed.
If you worried about radioactivity of the nuts then I wouldnt be alarmed unless you are eating the shells which is where nearly all of it is.
Still its very possible to get too much of it by overeating Brazil nuts.
Thats why we recommend eating no more than a handful of nuts a day.
Jodiat

Post by Jodiat »

Still I wouldnt worry myself over this. If I was in the wild and I had my brazil nut tree near by I woulnt be concerned.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Still its very possible to get too much of it by overeating Brazil nuts.
Thats why we recommend eating no more than a handful of nuts a day.
Is radioactivity restricted to just brazil nuts? What about macadamia nuts? How many nuts is equivalent to a handful?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kookaburra wrote: Is radioactivity restricted to just brazil nuts?
Yes, and to other fruits from tall trees that grow in the rain forest,
as its the rain forest that is naturally radioactive.
What about macadamia nuts?
They dont come from the rain forest, so no.
They naturally come from eastern Australia, New Caledonia and Sulawesi, (Indonesia),
but the edible species are commercially produced (in orchards) in Hawaii, Australia, South Africa,
Brazil, California, Costa Rica, Israel, Kenya, Bolivia, New Zealand, Colombia and Malawi.
How many nuts is equivalent to a handful?
Something like 10 to 12 Brazil nuts.
overkees

Re: Nuts contain antinutrients

Post by overkees »

I have experienced that the only nut which I truly love is the macadamia nut, all other nuts are okay, but just not worth the price. But I did some research about the antinutrients in nuts, turns out nuts are hell when looking at its phytic acid content. http://chriskresser.com/another-reason- ... ts-on-nuts

Brazil nuts are the food highest in phytic acid. At least 1700 mg of phytic acid per 100 grams. Even oat flakes don't have that much, lol! If you consume 100 grams brown rice you consume less phytic acid than with a handful of brazil nuts.

And the argument that brazil nuts are so nutrient dense is overrated imo. They have an afwul omega 3 : omega 6 ratio of 5 : 6000 by consuming only 30g of them (1/2 hand). Imagine what a handful of these bastards will do. And they only provide high vitamin B1, magnesium, copper, manganese and phosphorus. They contain far too much selenium. But the magnesium content will likely be cancelled out by the phytic acid. The only good thing about them is the compensation for the amino acids which diets lack. But, if consuming raw animal products this should not be a problem. So I don't see ANY reason to eat brazil nuts.

It seems that macadamia nuts the only safe ones considering antinutrients. Hazelnuts are okay if consumed only a handful. Macadamias, when compared to brazil nuts have almost twice as much of all vitamins. Considering minerals they rank okay, but much lower than brazil nuts (but no phytate remember?) and they have an omega 3:omega 6 ratio of 60:370 per 30g (1/2 hand). So, if you are going for nuts, be sure to buy macadamias.
dime

Post by dime »

Regarding phytic acid, see viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2760&p=29691

Macadamias and most other nuts seem very hard to digest for me, and usually result in diarrhea if I eat anything more than 40-50g. It's like they just pass through..
Hand-shelled wallnuts seem best, with regards to digestion.
overkees

Post by overkees »

Everybody is different, but I had days where I ate 200g of macadamias and had no problems with digestion whatsoever. I easily overeat on m though. They are just too delicious.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

100 g of coconut meat has between 270-357 mg of phytic acid. Wondering, does coconut cream, raw liquid expressed from grated meat, has the same amount of phytic acid? i usually throw away dried coconut flakes, so maybe there is nothing wrong to eat lots of raw coconut cream?
Novidez

Re:

Post by Novidez »

RRM wrote:Soaking increases coliform numbers; its like making a culture.
(coliform includes enterobacter, E. coli etc)
Doesn't this study says the opposite, or am I reading it wrong?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20018397
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

No, it doesnt.
That study (also) looked at the effects of soaking on the effectiveness of high hydrostatic pressure inactivation of coliform.