Substituting olive oil for walnuts

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
mario91
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Substituting olive oil for walnuts

Post by mario91 »

Most of us have olive/coconut oil as the major source of fat.
What about substituting it for walnuts? If you eat like 100g of walnut kernel a day you get 65g of fat, plus some egg yolk or fatty meat/fish fat you don't need any more fat in a day!
Why?
First - they have a omega3-omega6 ratio of 1/4. Olive oil has about 1/20 (coconut oil even less; other nuts even less)
Second - they have lots of micronutrients, olive oil only has vitE and vitK (coconut oil even less)

I've been doing it for the last 2 weeks, and will continue. I feel great with walnuts and I love their taste ;)
Ofc this might not be good for nut-acne-prone people.

Opinions?
dime

Re: Substituting olive oil for walnuts

Post by dime »

I don't see any problems, the wai diet is: fruits, nuts (shelled yourself), and raw animal foods :) I was just recently thinking to include some walnuts too, as snack at work.
I think the major use for olive/coconut oil is with juices, not sure how well would nuts go with them.
It might be good if you soak them for a few hours, this is recommended way to get rid of some antinutrients and make them more digestible.
dime

Post by dime »

Walnuts contain a lot of polyunsaturated fats, 100g of walnuts have 40g of omega 6 and 10g of omega3 (ALA).
The latest 'theories' are that such amounts of polyunsaturated fats are not good.
Doesn't hurt to try thogh :) As long as they are raw I believe they should be perfectly fine.

The study below suggests that a 2-6% of the calories as walnuts is beneficial, while 9% is already bad (for old rats).
If you consider this then for humans it makes at most a handful of walnuts per day, 20-30g.
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/di ... id=5465528
mario91

Post by mario91 »

Thanks for the info dime! I'll experiment with 100g/day for a few more weeks then.