Chestnut

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
Aytundra
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Chestnut

Post by Aytundra »

Is chestnut allowed on this diet?
Is it a nut, a seed, a fruit or a vegetable?
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
Christina

Re: Chestnut

Post by Christina »

I have never heard of anyone eating them raw. Don't u have to cook them to make it edible?
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

1) Well the batch I have right now, it was baked in an oven.
2) Yesterday, that batch was steamed.
3) I've heard of people peeling the hard skin and boiling it in water to get rid of the papery layer in water.
4) I've heard, that you can fry them in oil.
5) You can put it near a heater or a fireplace (not roasting it, like 1meter away) and hope the warm air dries the chestnut enough so that you can deshell it easily.

The purpose of the heat is to help you to crack the shell, or to take the thin layer that clings to it off.
I actually don't know if the chestnut will be considered raw or cooked at this point.

I don't think the protein would have denatured too much.
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Chestnut is a nut. I have never eaten raw chestnuts; they may contain too many anti-nutrients. Heating creates 'dirty protein' though, unless the temperature is low, so not recommended for acne-prone people and if you want to avoid harmful substances as much as possible. The positive thing with this is that they contain relatively little protein and fat.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Chestnuts can be eaten raw, but they are usually processed because they contain a lot of tannins (mainly gallic acid and ellagic acid; aggressive anti-nutrients, causing the astringent taste and have anti-amylase properties Tsujita T et al; hinder starch digestion) and a lot of starch. The (polymeric) proanthocyanidins they contain also inhibit fat digestion (by inhibiting pancreatic lipase activity Kimura H et al and mineral uptake and protein digestion.
Contrary to humans, ruminants and chickens (due to their differing digestive system) thrive on the supplementation of tannins to their diet.
The riper the chestnut, the less starch and tannins it contains.
It also contains quite some stachyose (complex sugar that cannot be fully digested by humans) and raffinose (complex sugar that cannot be digested by humans at all).
So, chestnuts are not included in the Wai diet.
Heating decreases the amount of tannins and lignins.