Nuts combined with what?

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
avo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Nuts combined with what?

Post by avo »

I keep reading that brazil nuts and raisins are a good combo, but I am avoiding dried fruits as of yesterday (I have been breaking out a lot, either due to too much dried fruit/nuts, being allergic to apricots/dates, them not being really sundried/raw, and they tend to dry out my bowels even when I make sure to drink more water). With what can nuts be eaten with? If I have a banana, would it be fine to have 6-8 brazil nuts afterwards? Does this digest well, or should I eat the nuts with a more watery fruit like mango or apples?

Also, who here avoids nuts completely? As in, who does not eat them daily? Could you please explain why and your experiences with nuts and/or dried fruits? I'm still trying to work out the basics of the sample diet, with what works for me and what does not. I feel horrible right now, sore throat and runny nose, 8 or so new big pimples and lots of bumps on my face, but I think I can attribute this to the dried fruit/nuts/honey or some combination of them, coupled with many late nights, stress and overeating with big meals. Thanks in advance! (I'm not too sure if this is the right subforum for my question(s), sorry)
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

I don't eat nuts anymore, since I learned from others here that they often don't digest well. I also felt dehydrated from them (and dried fruits too) and had to drink tons of water! I used to eat them with sun-dried raisins. Eating them with a banana sounds fine, unless you don't like the outcome.
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
huntress

Post by huntress »

Yes avo, that is EXACTLY how I felt after eating dried fruits (dates, dried figs and raisins): sore throat, stuffed nose, sudden hightened/manic emotion followed up with sluggishness and dullness, which eventually led me to Candida overgrowth. I tend to over eat on fruits that are high in sugar because my body craves for that euphoric feeling that we get after eating them. This occurs more strongly when I am depressed or feeling dull or even stressed. Dried fruits aggravated my acne condition too. I strongly suggest you stop eating any kinds of dried fruits. They are laden with sugar and even eating them with loads of fats to try to overcome the insulin spike will not help because eating too much fats will eventually make you want to eat more and more dried fruits to keep the sugar/fat ratio in balance.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I stopped eating nuts after switching from SRD to Wai, because I can't get unshelled brazil or macademia nuts here. Well, not that easily anyway.
Now I have some mac's, and I eat them as a sort of snack in the afternoon, if I'm hungry. One or two at a time, so not that many, and usually only 0-3 times per week. I don't eat dried fruits, usually.

I've heard more often that people who are acne prone, can have problems with nuts and/or dried fruits

(This forum is fine :))
avo

Post by avo »

Ok, I think I will permanently stop eating nuts and dried fruits as well. It is a shame because I could really bump up my calorie intake with even a modest amount of these foods. It is also a shame because I have quite a bit of a supply in my kitchen of these foods. I guess my only real concern is how to get enough selenium? With brazil nuts, I would get like 1000% percent of RDA, but now I only manage 70% or so. I keep hearing coconut is high in it, but nutritiondata.com says it is not. Also, I don't know if I want to increase yolk consumption more than 4 a day, my current level. I could break up my intake to 3 during day, 3 at night or something similar, but is that too much yolk for doing the sample diet? Also, that is 1 dozen eggs every two days! Does not seem reasonable or cheap. And that means two times during the day I have to rest and not eat again for 3-5 hours (that is usually how long it takes for me to feel hungry again anyways). Realisticly, I would not be able to eat much else throughout the day. And don't suggest OJ, that is not my style. ;)
Wintran

Post by Wintran »

I've mostly eaten hazel nuts, which I read somewhere would be the second best choice after brazil nuts, as I don't have access to those unfortunately. I can't eat them alone, however, but mixing them with something sweet, especially honey, has done the trick for me, and has become a great calorie supplement (I've had a hard time with the OJ as well). I haven't had any real digestion problems, but I felt it became even easier to get down when I added some extra fat (I used butter, which is not allowed in the strict diet). I also need to drink some water to get it down, but not as much with the honey as with the nuts and raisins.
Hannes
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avo wrote:my only real concern is how to get enough selenium?
You need very little selenium.
Coconuts contain extremely much selenium, so that when you eat one little piece a week, its already more than enough.
Tuna, mackerel, salmon and egg yolk also contain selenium.
http://www.3.waisays.com/nutrients.htm
avo

Post by avo »

Well, upon further contemplation, I've decided to keep brazil nuts afterall. They are nutritious, great protien quality, and provide a good dose of selenium. I think, if my memory serves me correctly, that when I ate brazil nuts (with cucumber, I believe) everything was fine. I feel that the dried fruits is what did me in.

So I've decided, with the help of fellow Wai followers, that I will have a handful of brazil nuts with either cucumber, banana or honey, as that is what seems to work for me and others. Any other advice?
avo

Post by avo »

Can you provide a source showing that coconut is high in selenium? Also, what is 'very little selenium?' I heard 100-200 micrograms is the daily amount one should have. I thought it was important to get enough nutrients EVERY day, not just a few days a week? Am I mistaken in this, does the body only need enough nutrients SOME of the time?

Me confused. :?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avo wrote:Can you provide a source showing that coconut is high in selenium?
Souci, S.W. et al, Food composition and Nutrition Tabels. Medpharm Scientific Publishers.
http://www.3.waisays.com/other/coconut.htm
Also, what is 'very little selenium?' I heard 100-200 micrograms is the daily amount one should have.
The recommendation used to be 50 to 150 max.
I thought it was important to get enough nutrients EVERY day, not just a few days a week?
No, thats regarding protein, for example, while, for example you can do up to years without B12.
Regarding selenium, you just need to replenish your blood every now and then.
Am I mistaken in this, does the body only need enough nutrients SOME of the time?
It needs the nutrients all the time, and that is why the blood contains all nutrients we need (it 'feeds us'). How often we have to replenish what has gone lost, also depends on other storage capacity; for some nutrients there is a relatively big storage capacity, while for others there is none.
avo

Post by avo »

http://www.nutritionanalyser.com/food_c ... ?fid=12104

http://www.nutritiondata.com/nd.php?q=B00001-01c40o6

nutritiondata.com, nutritionanalyser.com, fitday.com, and many other sites show that coconut is much, much lower in selenium than your source. How reliable and recent is that data?

If we do not need all vitamins and minerals each day, why do we need fruits everyday? Using your logic, we should just consume enough calories (sugars, fats, some clean protien) anyway we can (without harmful substances or fiber), only eating fruit when we need to replensh certian vitamins/minerals.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avo wrote:nutritiondata.com, nutritionanalyser.com, fitday.com, and many other sites show that coconut is much, much lower in selenium than your source.
they dont have their own data, but derive their date from scientific sources.
I believe they use the USDA as their source?
How reliable and recent is that data?
VERY reliable. Scientific data, 86 samples.
I dont think that the nutrient composition of coconuts is subject too much change. What does matter very much, is where those coconut trees are located. Hence differing results.
Using your logic, we should just consume enough calories (sugars, fats, some clean protien) anyway we can (without harmful substances or fiber), only eating fruit when we need to replensh certian vitamins/minerals.
Most nutrients you need to replenish daily.
If you would have to make up for not taking in vitamins / minerals every other day (for example), you would need more nutrient dense fruits.
avo

Post by avo »

The Medpharm Scientific Publishers data is twelve years old; outdated? The USDA data shows that, per 45 grams of coconut, only 4.5 micrograms of selenium, opposed to the 450 micrograms that the older data shows. Coconut is nowhere near the levels that Wai has written, it is much, much lower. Possibly a mistake with significant figures and decimal places? Where can I find the actual original data analysis for coconut? I did some searches, but where is the scientific journal/report for that info?

I don't mean to question you so much, but there needs to be a good explaination for such a large discrepency between scientific sources. Would the 12 year-old data be more accurate than the USDA data? Coconut never struck me as a high selenium food, brazil nuts have always been touted as having tons of it, but not once (outside Wai) have I heard coconut being a good (unbelievably good, that is) source of it.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avo wrote:The Medpharm Scientific Publishers data is twelve years old; outdated?
What is measured are nuts from different area.
Even within one area you will find great diversions. when data are collected from different continents, the results will differ very much.
This has nothing to do with the time of collection; we are not talking about TV programs or cars.
Coconut is nowhere near the levels that Wai has written
According the Souci, S.W. et al, they are.
different studies will yield different results.
What is your problem with that?
Where can I find the actual original data analysis for coconut?
You need to buy the book, nearly 1,000 pages.
Medpharm Scientific Publishers in Stuttgart.
Costs about 200 to 300 Euro.
there needs to be a good explaination for such a large discrepency between scientific sources.
Explanation?
This happens a lot, for different minerals / metals. Zinc in oysters is another example.
Would the 12 year-old data be more accurate than the USDA data?
They are both accurate, for the cocnuts they have researched.
What matters, is what coconuts are subject to research. They may have been half a planet apart. And even within one country you may find huge differences, depending on the soil.