Coconuts

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Coconuts

Post by johndela1 »

I eat a coconut mixed with its water in the blend most everyday. I (for what every reason) used to think that it was a fruit. I now am thinking it is a seed.

Since seeds arn't recommened should I avoid coconuts? Also, isn't an almond a seed?

Seeds are found in fruits, right? Almonds are the center of a fruit that looks like a peach.

Nuts are found in shells that have no fruit, right?

I mean a nut is a seed, but not all seeds are nuts.
RRM
Administrator

Re: coconut

Post by RRM »

Nature doesnt care very much about our classifications.
What matters for us, is what these fruits/seeds etc are designed for. For human consumption, or not? To what extend the fruit/seed/nut is made attractive for us (high in nutrients, low in antinutrients), to that extend it is ment for us.
johndela1 wrote:Since seeds arn't recommened should I avoid coconuts?
No. But probably you will find that you dont care to eat as much of it as you would eat fruits. Try to listen to your body carefully.
Coconuts may contain extreme high levels of selenium, so dont eat so much of it.
Also, isn't an almond a seed?
Sure, but you can still eat it to some extend, though it cannot be utilized as well as nuts like Brazil nuts and macadamia nuts, and certainly not as well as fruits; nuts contain far more antinutrients than fruits (in general) do.
Kookaburra

Coconut meat

Post by Kookaburra »

Can we eat the meat too? Or are we restricted to only drinking the water/mlk?

By the way, it is really a pain in the ass trying to open a coconut. I wasted 45 minutes doing that. It was so hard to slice that I got frustrated and threw it on the ground. All the water dripped out and in the end its all for nothing. What a waste of money. That was my second time trying to open a coconut. I need more practice. Anyone has any tips?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Of course we can eat the meat. The first thing you can do is make a hole through one of the three dimples and drain the water out. Well, the easiest is to look here: http://www.howtoopenacoconut.com/
WaiWay

Coconuts

Post by WaiWay »

Hi all,

I really enjoy eating whole, raw, mature coconuts, and I just assumed it was a fruit so I ate them. However, I started to think, are they nuts, and are they even allowed on the sample diet? Oh, and if you have the calorie count for one whole, mature coconut (meat and juice), I will be very happy. I looked and couldn't get an exact number.

Thanks! :D
RRM
Administrator

Re: Coconuts

Post by RRM »

Yes, they are allowed.

Whole coconuts:
44% water
3.9% protein
36.5% fat
4.8% carbs
9% fiber (a lot)
363 kcal / 100 g.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Note:
RRM wrote:
Emeira wrote:Can too much fiber cause water retention and small pimples
Yes, too much fiber can cause water retention,
and anything that can cause water retention can cause acne.
A bit beyond perceptions reach
I sometimes believe I see
that life is two locked boxes, each
containing the others key -Piet Hein
Iris

Post by Iris »

I like coconut a lot lately, but was worried about the selenium-thing I remembered from before. So looked it up in the nutrient calculator but there's a huge difference between the 2 sources :shock: One is approx. 10 mcg/100gram while the other mentions approx. 810 mcg/100 gr. Ok, so that says nothing but it could be you can eat just a bite, or you could eat an awful lot of it :? So I suppose I should just trust my body to know when it has had enough? Because, if that's the case, I could eat half a coconut in one day easily :roll:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Exactly.
Usually your body will tell you when you are overdosing on a metal, mineral or trace element.
You will simply start dislike eating it (the source food).
Iris

Post by Iris »

Great, thanks RRM!