Snacking on fruit without the nuts, how is it done?

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
Anjana
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Snacking on fruit without the nuts, how is it done?

Post by Anjana »

hi there,
I've been on this diet only for a couple of days so I'm unsure about nuts.
I'm from Switzerland and I can't find unshelled brazil nuts overhere so I'm having hazel- and walnuts. But I'm unsure about the quantity and how to spread them over the day. I'm basically having fruit all day and combining them with nuts as I can't stand drinking oil on its own.
So I would have one banana for example and then eat 1-2 hazelnuts with it. At the end of the day I might have had 10-15 nuts or so....
But the thing is I'm worried it will do anything because of acne and I find it really annoying having to combine every single fruit I eat with nuts...isn't there another way or am I doing something wrong?
Some people on here say they don't eat nuts anymore but have more egg yolks....but if you just want to eat a banana at 4pm in the afternoon, do they drink an egg yolk after or what? :shock:
Basically, how do you keep snacking without the nuts?
Any help of you guys would be great, thanks! :wink:
nick

Re: Snacking on fruit without the nuts, how is it done?

Post by nick »

Anjana wrote: I'm from Switzerland and I can't find unshelled brazil nuts overhere so I'm having hazel- and walnuts.
Are they shelled or unshelled nuts?
They need to be unshelled so that you shell them yourself. This is because shelled nuts are never fresh, unless you do it yourself.
But I'm unsure about the quantity and how to spread them over the day. I'm basically having fruit all day and combining them with nuts as I can't stand drinking oil on its own.
Eating them after the fruit is fine.
Why not make a fruit salad and drizzle some oil in it, you'll taste it, but it won't be so strong.
So I would have one banana for example and then eat 1-2 hazelnuts with it. At the end of the day I might have had 10-15 nuts or so....
Your eating way too little.
You need to submit your diet to the nutrient calculator and see what else you need.
But the thing is I'm worried it will do anything because of acne and I find it really annoying having to combine every single fruit I eat with nuts...isn't there another way or am I doing something wrong?
If the nuts aren't fresh, pre-shelled when you buy them, they very well can cause acne.
You could juice oranges and make several bottles and add some oil and this makes it much easier and convienent when leaving your house. Juicing is a good idea and then throughout the day you could always eat some fruit.
Some people on here say they don't eat nuts anymore but have more egg yolks....but if you just want to eat a banana at 4pm in the afternoon, do they drink an egg yolk after or what?
Nuts are not necessary, but in your case you don't want to consume olive oil after each fruit, so they are a tastier option for you.
You don't need to eat yolks after your fruit, especially if you are prone to acne.

1. Make orange juice, fill a couple bottles up and add some oil and this will be your primary food for the day.
2. Only eat yolks once during the day and make sure to rest 1.5 hours after you consume them. This resting makes sure you digest the protein properly.
3. Some people eat yolks throughout the day, but they aren't acne prone, so they are fine being active afterwards.

Basically, how do you keep snacking without the nuts?
My first attempts at this diet failed because it was so hard/almost impossoble to make sure I ate nuts/oil after fruit during a busy schoolday. Making 3 bottles of juice allows me to be on the go and when I'm home I eat a banana or some other fruit.
I would recommend that way. Then you can change it as you see fit.

Welcome and good luck!
Anjana

Post by Anjana »

hi nick,
thanks so much for helping me out! :-)

1. my hazel and walnuts are unshelled so I hope that's fine.

2. I'm of course eating more than just one banana and some nuts in case
it sounded like that but I'm having problems with the nutrient calculator
as most of the time it doesn't pop up (link down or something) and
when it does I can't really make sense of it, it's really complex. :(

3. When you make your orange juice, how much oil do you add to let's
say 1 liter? Is it ok to sort of shake it? (as I'm on the sample diet and
don't want to use a blender)

I'd do the juicing but I'm finding it really pricy, I'm 19, still living at home and food goes mainly on my mum's bill so for 1-3 bottles of orange juice a day (?!) that would mean 30 oranges or something?? Isn't there another way...I'm sorry for that but it really is a problem for me... :(
avo

Post by avo »

I used to eat fruits/oil probably 7-8 times a day. In retrospect, it was very time consuming and inconvienient. I also used to think that juicing would be expensive, but it is not if you do it right; I buy a big case/box of oranges/tangerines, usually $15. This will last me about 4-5 days, and I make about 12 cups of OJ a day. I put 1 Tablespoon oil for every cup, but I add sugar as well. So this comes out to 4 dollars a day, give or take, for the oranges alone. Sugar is cheap, irrelevant if you don't use it. Decent olive oil should work out to like 10 cents a tablespoon, so mabye a buck or two for that. Then you have the capital, like blender and citrus juicer, measuring spoons, maybe a pitcher, strainer and some bottles. That's it! Everything else is easy, like bananas and eggs. Fish can get costly, but if you find a high quality product that you enjoy, consider it a treat. You deserve it. :D
nick

Post by nick »

Avo,

That was a well elucidated response. For some reason I really enjoyed readin it.
Spot on!
avalon

Post by avalon »

Hi Anjana!

Just in case you find your way back to this post, now a couple weeks old...

In case you missed this, you may try mixing the yolk right in with the Banana gently. It may make it simpler and you don't taste the yolk. The only thing is it's kind of a yellow mush :shock:

Also there is Virgin Coconut oil. I love Olive oil on my tomato cucmber salads, but that's about it. However I've come to love the taste of Coconut oil and can gleefully take a tablespoon by itself or in a smoothie or with chopped fruit. You might even do the coconut/orange juice combo, though I've never been a fan of Oj myself.

Best wishes,

Avalon :)
Anjana

Post by Anjana »

hi avalon,
thanks for your suggestions....I haven't tried coconut oil so far but I'm having a number of different oils a day such as olive oil, walnut oil, pumkin seeds oil, sesame oil and so on....although I'm having the most of the olive oil...but with fruits it's just disgusting :lol:

and I started to mix the egg yolk(s) in my salad together with the oil and vinegar hope that's fine I really like it that way..... :wink:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Anjana wrote:and I started to mix the egg yolk(s) in my salad together with the oil and vinegar hope that's fine I really like it that way..... :wink:
That may cause some indigestion / gasses / cramps, but if that is not the case in you, its fine indeed...
avalon

Post by avalon »

When I started Wai I was using Balsamic vinegar with olive oil in my salads, but have since stopped. I read that Vinegar may impair digestion starting with saliva.

Now i just use Lemon (sometimes lime) and olive oil on all my salads. I find that this combo works better when I mix a yolk in also.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I love salads with both oil and vinegar, and have not experienced any impaired digestion. I dont see how vinegar could cause so.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Herbert M. Shelton wrote:
Vinegar is not an evil merely because its highly toxic acetic acid content destroys ptylain (salivary amylase), but it also contains alcohol, which precipitates the pepsin of the gastric juice and retards or prevents gastric digestion of proteins. What wonder then that pickles and vinegar have been found useful in reducing weight. They cripple the first two stages of digestion. My readers should know that apple cider vinegar, which is so much lauded today as a "wonder drug" in folk medicine contains both acetic acid and alcohol and is unfit for use, not alone because it impairs digestion, but also because it contains these two virulent poisons.
I of course don't really know what to believe. Damn! Okay, I'll buy some :shock:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

"Luckily" amylase is used to split up starch, and the pancreas also produces amylase, just in case. Assuming the alcohol story is true, it's easily avoided but not combining protein with vinegar. I think most of us are aren't using vinegar with the bulk of their protein (fish/yolks) anyway.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Avalon,
You should always take in account what the perspective of the text is.
You tend to take things out of perspective, sometimes...
Here the perspective is that the writer is advocating against the use of (lots of) vinegar as a "wonder drug" / to loose weight.
He doesnt talk about using vinegar in a salad.

I agree with the author regarding that kind of use of vinegar, but the writer also takes things out of perspective; If you read "highly toxic acetic acid content", it makes you believe that vinegar damages your intestines, at the least.
In a salad, you dont use that much vinegar (usually 5 to 8% acetic acid), because if you do, it doesnt taste good anymore. And that low level is not disturbing regarding PH, but balancing the oil.

Acetic acid (ethanoic acid) is actually a very short-chain fatty acid (C2:0). Its a weak acid, naturally present in ripe fruits, such as bananas (7.8 mg / 100 g; Souci et al, food composition and nutrition tabels, Medpharm Scientific Publishers, page 877).
Acetic acid is present in all cells in our body, as its an intermediate in energy metabolism. In the utilization of fatty acids (β-oxidation), acetic acid is converted into Acetyl-coA. When our body makes fatty acids, the 'backbone (hydrocarbon chain) is constructed of units of acetic acid.
Its acetyl-group (in Acetyl-CoA) plays an essential role in the metabolism of many organic molecules.

Regarding alcohol; all living organisms produce some alcohol, as in the synthesis of fatty acids and the production of bile acids (for the digestion of dietary fats), for example. Almost all organisms can degrade and utilize ethanol, which is oxidized into acetic acid.
Only if alcohol accumulates in the body, its toxic.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Hi Nick,

Two questions, the first about the nuts and the second about the OJ.

1). Nuts
nick wrote:
They need to be unshelled so that you shell them yourself. This is because shelled nuts are never fresh, unless you do it yourself.
Couldn't be unshelled nuts OLD too?

2).OJ
nick wrote:
1. Make orange juice, fill a couple bottles up and add some oil and this will be your primary food for the day.
I read somewhere that "when exposed to the air, Vitamin C oxidizes immediately" and "Because vitamin C oxidizes on contact with air, water, heat and light, it tends to degrade quickly...".

Is it safe to bring bottles of OJ all the day long?

Oooops... another question: :wink:
I find (here, in Rome, Italy) FRESH ORANGES from December to April.
How can I do the other months?
Could you suggest a substitute?
Maybe lemon... mmhhh... too much sour...
Maybe lemon+water+sugar+oil?

Do you find FRESH ORANGES all the year long?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Roman wrote:Couldn't be unshelled nuts OLD too?
Sure, they can be old.
The shell of the nuts actually is designed so that the nuts can be stored for years, and most of them still remain edible.
The good thing is that they dont need to be fresh. They just need to be still edible.
If they are rancid, you can smell it.
If you are unsure, take a tiny nibble, and the taste will tell you whether it is still edible.
nick wrote:I read somewhere that "when exposed to the air, Vitamin C oxidizes immediately"
Thats not correct. You can perfectly juice oranges and keep the juice for a day or two. Just always make sure to close the bottle after drinking.
And even if a large part of the vitamin c would get lost; this diet is loaded with vitamin C. Submit your version of the diet to the nutrient calculator ( www.3.waisays.com/simple_calculator.html ) and you will see how very much vitamin C it contains.
Is it safe to bring bottles of OJ all the day long?
You can sefely bring bottles along (outside the fridge) for over 24 hours. Ive done so for over 10 years.
The moment it has been outside the fridge too long, it will get a bit fizzy, as if some sparkling water has been mixed through it, but even then you can still safely consume it. It will taste horrible before it can even be mildly unsafe.
I find (here, in Rome, Italy) FRESH ORANGES from December to April.
Fresh oranges are available all year long, as they are imported from shifting regions around the world, depending on where 'it is the season'.
After April they will not be from Italy, but also in Rome there are plenty of fruit importers that can supply you with fresh oranges all year long.