Fruit juices, digestion and absorption of nutritients

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
andyville
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Fruit juices, digestion and absorption of nutritients

Post by andyville »

Hi everybody,

I've been thinking about something lately; I have heard that when the body digests solid food, different nutritents are absorbed by different parts of the intestines as the food moves through the digestive tract. What happens when we rely heavily on juices? I guess juices move through the digestive tract much quicker than solid food - is there a risk that all the nutritients are not properly absorbed by the body, or have I misunderstood something?

Peace
A.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Fruit juices, digestion and absorption of nutritients

Post by RRM »

andyville wrote:I have heard that when the body digests solid food, different nutritents are absorbed by different parts of the intestines as the food moves through the digestive tract.
True. To break down solid food, many 'steps' of digestion are required, and those nutrients that can most readily be 'extracted', will be taken up first.
What happens when we rely heavily on juices?
Then digestion is much more simple, as all nutrients are more readily available for absorption; hence less 'passage time'.
I guess juices move through the digestive tract much quicker than solid food - is there a risk that all the nutritients are not properly absorbed by the body, or have I misunderstood something?
No, there is not such a risk; the digestion / passage time is in accordance with the digestebility of the food. So, the latter determines the former ; not the other way around.