'Dirty' protein & fruit dehydrator

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Sealish
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

'Dirty' protein & fruit dehydrator

Post by Sealish »

It is amazing what a fine instrument our body is... I have eaten close to the way described here for a long time.

I wanted to ask in what temperature range you feel 'dirty' protein is created...if you do have a precise sense. For example, does a food dehydrator that slowly dehydrates fruits--reaching temperatures in the 120s Fahrenheit in the air around it--or is low enough to preserve enzymes in the fruit-- a creator of 'dirty' protein, in your words?

It is with neverending wonder that one may contemplate the body's flawless design...Again, a marvelous site.
RRM
Administrator

Re: 'Dirty' protein

Post by RRM »

Sealish wrote:what temperature range you feel 'dirty' protein is created...if you do have a precise sense.
I dont know.
I suspect its close to cooking.
I was thinking about getting a dehydrator myself; would like to experiment with dehydrated meat (to preserve it)
does a food dehydrator that slowly dehydrates fruits--reaching temperatures in the 120s Fahrenheit in the air around it--or is low enough to preserve enzymes in the fruit-- a creator of 'dirty' protein, in your words?
Its not about preserving enzymes, but what the effect is on the intergity of small blocks of protein; peptides and amino acids.
Yes, enzymes are also protein, but if they only lose their enzymatic capacity without the building blocks getting damaged, that would be ok.
Enzymes are composed inside the body from the building blocks that are extracted from dietary protein (inlcuing dietary enzymes).
120 Fahrenheit (49 celcius) seems absolutely safe to me as even humans can survive such a temperature (without losing any bodyfunction)
Sealish

Dehydrator

Post by Sealish »

Ah; precisely what I was considering-- for fruit, mainly. The fruit supply in the U.S. is inconsistent in quality if one does not buy from local sources, and it is far easier to find irradiated fruits from Mexico, Chile, and other far-off places than from California. Yet these fruits very often fail to ripen, or are not fresh.
Sealish

Dehydrator

Post by Sealish »

What type are you considering buying?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I havent had time to look into this yet. This thread might be a good place to post some types of dehydrators.
Here's one:
http://www.bizrate.com/fooddehydrators/ ... d11530146/
You can buy a small thermometer to put inside and control the heat.
and more:
http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Food%20Dehy ... le%20Items
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/dehydrators.aspx
http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/Dehy ... 37-cat.htm (including thermostat)

(en in t nederlands: http://dutchcz.com/view_product.php?product=Orava )
Last edited by RRM on Wed 04 Jul 2007 20:22, edited 2 times in total.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

It seems that the most tasty results are obtained by using the dehydrator for hours at 40 to 50 degrees celcius (104 to 122 Fahrenheit)
Sealish

Dehydrators

Post by Sealish »

Perhaps I will buy one!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I bought one.
Today i experimented with 320 grams of raw tuna (61.5% water). After 5 hours of dehydration only 135 grams remained; of the 197 gram total water, 185 gram has evaporated, so that the remaining tuna contains only 9% water.

Tomorrow I will eat some of it; I usually eat 133 grams of raw tuna, so that i can now only eat 56 gram (135/320 x 133) of this 'tuna-jerky'.
Lets see if it gives me acne... :shock:
avo

Post by avo »

Something about leaving tuna out in the hot sun (or dehydrator in this case) that does not sound appetizing. But let us know how it turns out!
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Tasty RRM?
Negativity is the cult of the weak
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Guess it looks a bit like this:

Is it really tough and dry, or isn't it that bad?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

So far it didnt give me acne yet, and honestly, i dont expect that it will.
Yes, oscar, like that. (really) :lol:
Tasty?
Yes, to some extend. That dry version is most extreme, I will try to establish how long you can keep it in the fridge (without going bad). Its very dry, but if you need to chew on something, it will do ;D
However, today i made a moderate version (48% water) that is EXTREMELY tasty, really yummy. Just 1.5 hours in the dehydrator and its salty, a little crunchy, fatty, warm... everything is good about it! 8)

The next 3 in this experiment: salmon, banana and tomato
rischott

Post by rischott »

i have had dried squid recently. i believe what i am buying is sun dried. All around jeju, i see squid, and other fish, just sitting on racks sun drying. It's so tasty. The only thing i worry about is if there might be preservatives added or not.
avo

Post by avo »

Excellent news! Thanks for trying this out RRM.

This is a good solution for those who travel and will not be able to find suitable raw fish while away. Perfect for camping/hiking/etc too.

I am really interested in the moderate version, I may buy one as well. Where did you get the dehydrator?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

rischott wrote:The only thing i worry about is if there might be preservatives added or not.
So, just buy a dehydrator and dry the squid yourself!
There is so much stuff that you can dehydrate...
avo wrote:This is a good solution for those who travel and will not be able to find suitable raw fish while away. Perfect for camping/hiking/etc too.
Yes, indeed. It seems people have been doing this for many thousands, maybe millions of years; they always have been able to dry meat in the sun (actually, in nature very often the meat of half eaten dead animals is being dried in the burning sun; its an obvious thing we must have learned as primitive humans)
Im anxiuos to find out how long the dry tuna will last.
Where did you get the dehydrator?
As i dont have a credit card, and since i live in the Netherlands, i searched for a distributor with a bank account in the Netherlands (bank transfers are more or less free here), and i found this one:
http://dutchcz.com/view_product.php?product=Orava
I guess it would be best to find a supplier in your country.