OJ... expensive oranges

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
dancs
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

OJ... expensive oranges

Post by dancs »

So i bought a juicer not too long ago, its coming in the mail. My worry is that i dont think i'll be able to drink a liter of OJ a day since that will be like 10 oranges or something, right? And i can't afford to buy 10 oranges a day. So i was thinking that i could make apple juice or grapefruit juice or some fruit juice rather than OJ. Would drinking other fruit juices have the same healthy affect on your skin that OJ has?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, absolutely.
Grapefruits will not be cheaper, i guess (and not so healthy, due to bitter anti-nutrients).
Apples however, are cheaper, but far less nutrient dense. But for apples you need a different machine; a juicer that works with centrifugation (separating pulp from juice after cutting up the fruit) or mastication.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The amount of oranges you need depends on the size and juiciness. In my experience that can vary between 8 and 16 oranges per liter.
Mr. PC

Re: OJ... expensive oranges

Post by Mr. PC »

I'm planning to get a centrifugal juicer; my concern is that it might heat the juice, although of course it will be better than the pasteurized stuff I have been buying. I couldn't find a thread about the different kinds of juicers, and pros/cons of different kinds/brands/models. Is there one already? And won't a person juicing mostly apples be deficient is certain vitamins?
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

Hmmm for oranges you NEED a citrus press... not a centrifugal.. or if you do buy one make sure it has the citrus press function.. Or you do as RRM suggests and get just a cheap normal one that is manual..
But a good electrical citrus press is a good buy.. and need not be expensive at all... check discountjuicers.com or anywhere in canada or US.. or your local store..
Don't buy a centrifugal for oranges.. centrifugal is good for apples.. and carrots and beets (which are not on diet), but not so great for soft fruit.. and certainly not oranges. However if you want a good centrifugal.. check discountjuicers.. or check rawfood video channel on youtube, it is the discount juicer guy doing lots of juice offs to compare different qualities.. you don't have to buy from them, just check the juice offs to get an idea what you want. I heard Breville is good and omega big mouth.. and perhaps some other ones I don't know...
Personally I just invested in the Omega vert 330HD from the UK. It was expensive as HELL. But my juicing and my Wai-ing needed a boost. I have been straying a bit and needed some boost. It does not have a citruspress but I have an old one that I will use until it dies... :D
Good luck
I'd say, yes, apples are not as good as oranges for vitamins and minerals..
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rawfoods
I just want to say again, that I don't want to promote a special dealer.. just that he makes useful videos and then you can search for yourself where they have the best prices/deals on the machine you want...and he has made a lot of juice offs between all kinds of juciers and explains the differences..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKT3JVXbhIg
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Sorry, I have found all the juicer threads
http://www.acneboard.com/AcneQandA/Forum10/000010.html
http://www.acneboard.com/AcneQandA/Forum10/000052.html
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=99
viewtopic.php?t=1616

Different threads are giving me different opinions about whether centrifugal is safe or not. I want to strive as close to 100% wai as I can, but centrifugal are *much* more convinient and cheaper, and would allow me to juice apples as well as oranges. I can't afford to buy two juicers, I can barely afford one.

I also want to confirm what I read, that juices that 'spurt' juice out really fast, creating froth, damage the protein.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I am also getting mixed reviews of masticating juicers. Some people are saying masticating produces no heat and is better than centrifugal, while others say the opposite.

From an old page
"RRM, the reason my juice gets bitter so quickly and yours stays fresh overnight is due to our different methods of juicing. I use a centrifugal juicer, which oxidates the juice, causing it to turn rather quickly. You press by hand, correct? This is a gentler method which causes less oxidation and allows the juice to stay fresher for much longer. This is definitely a factor for people to consider when selecting juicer designs."

So is a centrifugal a bad idea because of nutrient loss?

Also, what I've been told it that apples do not need to be peeled before putting into a centrifugal, does that hold true for wai dieters or should I be removing the peels.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

If I were you I'd go for one that presses citruses, because they are much cheaper, and they don't have the problem of a centrifugal juicer. The citruspress revolves, but doesn't creat heat and there are no small knives or anything that makes things oxidize. There are also manual ones.. But if you want a centrifugal for other fruits as well.. then ok, thats your choice. :D I leave the floor to RRM and Oscar and the others. :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

RRM and I use a citrus press, and RRM also uses a masticating juicer, the "Hurom Slow Juicer", which is sold in the Netherlands under the name " Versapers ".
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Well, the Hurom Slow juicer is in a much higher price range than I was considering, (originally was looking into the $60 range for a blender, but than decided $100-$150 would be ok for a juicer). However, if I can justify it based on savings during the next 10 years because of the amount of juice it gets out of fruits, and amount of nutrition kept (rather that paying for more fruit), and health benefits (I'm assuming it will last me 10 years since that's the duration of the warranty). Also, if this is making a difference in my wrists, it will also be paying for itself in terms to allowing me to work more. It also allows me to juice apples, which are cheaper than oranges. In my personal diet thread thread I've written (will be posting) about the diet I'm planning on adopting if I were to buy the juicer. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2112&start=75
Basically right now I can make large purchases right now using my student line of credit, so if a large purchase like this pays for itself in the long term I can buy it, it's just a matter of justifying it. Although are there any similar masticating juicers you would recommend in the $200 range? This one is $359 in Canada (includes shipping). Thanks
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Also, because I'm super busy and have to turn down work for lack of time/energy, I can also justify the purchase by my increased energy allowing me to work more, as well as my increased time because it juices faster, right? So based purely on long-term costs I'm best off getting the Hurom. Am I right?

Also, how is the Hurom for cleaning? I've read some places that it's difficult to clean.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Oh, another important thing I forgot to mention, the main reason I'm ditching the current blender is that my wrists can't take the vibrations caused by the blender; I have to hold down a button on top of it while it blends. With the Auger juicers it seems you push the fruit down into it with a pushed device. How difficult is this? Does it vibrate? I'm also really concerned about waste, but I keep reading that there is minimal waste (pulp is dry) with this kind of juicer.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:Well, the Hurom Slow juicer is in a much higher price range than I was considering
I only use it when mangoes, melons and bananas are on sale.
Right now, very ripe mangoes cost about 30 eurocents (immigrant shops), and melons 50 cents,
so that its affordable to juice them (30% wet-pulp for species such as Kent; don't buy Tommy Atkins or Haden or any other high-fibre mango, as they will clog your juicer)
Most of the time, however, i press oranges, because its easy and cheaper.
So, i actually need both machines. (citrus press and masticating juicer)
Mr. PC wrote:the main reason I'm ditching the current blender is that my wrists can't take the vibrations caused by the blender
You will experience the same problem with the citrus press.
Not with the masticating juicer though, which is perfect for your wrists indeed.
I can also justify the purchase by my increased energy allowing me to work more, as well as my increased time because it juices faster, right?
Drinking juices makes you energetic, indeed.
Juicing melons in the masticating juicer takes the least time.
Juicing mangoes and oranges takes longer; about the same amount of time.
how is the Hurom for cleaning? I've read some places that it's difficult to clean.
No, its relatively easy to clean, much like a citrus press.
And you can make juice for 2 or 3 days, so that you have to clean it only once in 2 to 3 days.
It also allows me to juice apples, which are cheaper than oranges.
Yes, but apples are far less nutrient dense,
and juicing apples takes longer (than juicing melons).
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Ok, so is there some way to calculate what is cheaper per amounts of nutrients? For example, if oranges had twice as many nutrients but were only 1.5 times the cost (per lb), than oranges would actually be cheaper, and I would just supplement calories with sugars (or bananas, is it ok to juice bananas? I was told by salespeople for the centrifugal juicer that bananas cannot be juiced) . What about supplements? Suppose I can only afford to juice 7 oranges a day, could I take a multivitamin to get the remaining nutrients? Is there such thing as a multivitamin that gives less than the RDA of each food? I could crush it and put it in the juice so that it's absorbed gradually with the OJ.

On the other hand, would eggyolks actually be a cheaper alternative to oranges for vitamins? I eat 6 eggyolks per day. I find it difficult to eat more at once, but maybe I could have them in two separate goes. Or maybe I'd be ok consuming very little food. Will by body tell me if it requires more of a certain nutrient? Reading the nutrient page makes me feel that getting a large amount of vitamins is not important.

What would be the downside of using the hurom juicer to juice oranges btw? Would you recommend juicing a specific kind of melon? Or am I miss-interpreting the word melon; maybe oranges are a form of melon. I'd imagine the citrus press would be much more work to use, and more waist-full, than the Huron juicer, so why use the citrus press if the juicer is safe to use on oranges?