OJ... expensive oranges

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: OJ... expensive oranges

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:Ok, so is there some way to calculate what is cheaper per amounts of nutrients?
Yes, but the calculation depends on the nutrient that you are lacking.
is it ok to juice bananas?
They yield very little juice, but it tastes delicious.
Blending doesnt waste anything, but isnt allowed when susceptible to acne.
I was told by salespeople for the centrifugal juicer that bananas cannot be juiced)
Anything that contains water can be juiced.
Compared to other fruits, bananas contain little water (74%), so that they will yield little juice,
but you can squeeze more water from the pulp by resubmitting the wet pulp to the juicer again.
What about supplements? Suppose I can only afford to juice 7 oranges a day, could I take a multivitamin to get the remaining nutrients?
Is there such thing as a multivitamin that gives less than the RDA of each food?
Vitamins can be bought separately.
Just submit your 'poor' version of the diet to the calculator, and check what nutrient(s) you are lacking.
Then buy just these. Generally you can break this pills into chunks.
On the other hand, would eggyolks actually be a cheaper alternative to oranges for vitamins? I eat 6 eggyolks per day. I find it difficult to eat more at once
I wouldnt force your body to eat more, as it may cause a dislike.
Will by body tell me if it requires more of a certain nutrient?
Probably, but you may have issues understanding.
What would be the downside of using the hurom juicer to juice oranges btw?
Having to peel all oranges, and having to take out the seeds prior to juicing.
Would you recommend juicing a specific kind of melon?
Yes, all melons (cantaloupe, honeydew; 'sugar-melons') in which the seeds are located in the middle; allows easy removal of those seeds.
In watermelons the seeds are all over.
Or am I miss-interpreting the word melon; maybe oranges are a form of melon.
:) Nooo...
I'd imagine the citrus press would be much more work to use, and more waist-full, than the Huron juicer, so why use the citrus press if the juicer is safe to use on oranges?
Actually, the citrus press is perfect for oranges, but not the Huron.
The Huron is perfect for fruits such as bananas, mangoes and melons (and seedless tangerines),
and not for oranges, watermelons etc.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Do you mean the citrus press has less waste and is easier/faster to use? Although I wouldn't use a citrus press anyway because of my wrists, but I thought the Huron would get more juice out of oranges than anything else. I don't mind peeling, in fact I'd do it anyway so that the pesticides don't mix into the juice.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:Do you mean the citrus press has less waste and is easier/faster to use?
No.
The citrus press is much easier to use for oranges because of the peel and the seeds.
The Huron is perfect for fruits that are easily peeled (or the flesh scooped out) and contain no seeds all over.
I thought the Huron would get more juice out of oranges than anything else.
Yes, but then you need seedless oranges.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Seedless oranges are generally the same price as other oranges around here; sometimes you can get seeded oranges cheap, but not often. Peeling oranges does not bother my wrists either, so I'll go with the Hurom for now. Based on the charts etc. I've seem the Hurom seems like the best juicer for the purpose of juicing mainly oranges and apples (when someone is unable to use a citrus press); do you agree?
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

I have just bought an Omega vrt 330HD. I will never regret it.. I love it!! I'd just like to say that the Hurom, the Omega vrt and the Oscar Pro are the same machines, apart from minuscle differences in design which they have to make to be able to sell it frmo different companies. The parts come from the same Korean company, just different companies overseas that assemble and sell them. So you can choose either one. I believe the Omega vrt has the best warranty for machine (motor). Also check if the Hurom has the same GE ultem auger and screen - cuz that's a much sturdier material than the previous one.. To Omega you can also buy spare parts, probably to the other machines as well.

I you want to see a comparison check out youtube, omega vs hurom etc.. :)
bbmine

Post by bbmine »

1 orange cost $1.... which is a lot of money when your juicing 15+ day...
cant find them any cheaper...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Thats extremely expensive.
You need to find a place where you can buy multiple crates.
Usually the price is much, much lower then.
bbmine

Post by bbmine »

i did find a store that sells fresh squeezed OJ its $16 for 1 gallon

i think sometimes that offer sales and sell oranges for $0 .50 for 1 orange
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

still expensive...
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

RRM wrote:Thats extremely expensive.
You need to find a place where you can buy multiple crates.
Usually the price is much, much lower then.
bbmine wrote:i did find a store that sells fresh squeezed OJ its $16 for 1 gallon
i think sometimes that offer sales and sell oranges for $0 .50 for 1 orange
RRM wrote:still expensive...
At what price do you usually buy your Oranges RRM? The cheapest I got was like 0.68 €/Kg :?.
I never tried to negotiate or find a place were I could buy crates though... However, I seriously doubt that I can negotiate with a grocer like that. Even if buy a crate, they will charge me the same money for sure lol. Unless I manage to contact the suppliers, that's probably the only way I can get cheaper fruits.

As we are approaching the Summer, in my country, Oranges are starting to be more and more expensive . At the moment, they are at 1.30 €/kg and I think they are going to continue to raise.
Is it safe, regarding nutrients, to substitute Oranges for Watermelons? At least partially... Watermelons are at 0.50€/Kg right now, way cheaper.
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

(Ups!, my mistake. Watermelons are at 1.20 €/kg atm. Herm, still cheaper though :roll: )
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

1.30 €/kg = orange juice grams + orange fiber, seed & peel grams
1.20 €/kg = watermelon juice grams + watermelon fiber, seed & rind grams.

Novidez should experiment with buying 1 orange and 1 watermelon and weighing each on a scale before peeling, and then weighing the volume of juice after discarding all the seeds and peels, to determine the actual cost per gram of juice, before he can say which fruit is "cheap-er". ;)
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

Aytundra wrote:1.30 €/kg = orange juice grams + orange fiber, seed & peel grams
1.20 €/kg = watermelon juice grams + watermelon fiber, seed & rind grams.

Novidez should experiment with buying 1 orange and 1 watermelon and weighing each on a scale before peeling, and then weighing the volume of juice after discarding all the seeds and peels, to determine the actual cost per gram of juice, before he can say which fruit is "cheap-er". ;)
Ok ok, you're right. But I asked this because grocers keep telling me that oranges are going to rise even more. Since watermelons are the fruit of the season, they are beginning to appear. Perhaps prices will be even lower, let's see.
Alright, if watermelons become even cheaper, I will do that experiment and I will post the results :P
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Novidez wrote:because grocers keep telling me that oranges are going to rise even more.
lol, i am imagining, that all the grocers within 40 km of your home, all have a wanted poster in their backroom that says "If Novidez (the orange crazy guy) comes into your fruit market, tell him that the orange price is rising. That way he won't deplete your supply of oranges, so that other customers can buy oranges too." ;D :roll:
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

Aytundra wrote:lol, i am imagining, that all the grocers within 40 km of your home,
40 km it's too much for me to walk. A still don't drive :roll:
all have a wanted poster in their backroom that says "If Novidez (the orange crazy guy) comes into your fruit market, tell him that the orange price is rising. That way he won't deplete your supply of oranges, so that other customers can buy oranges too." ;D :roll:
LOL, it's almost like that.
One already asked me if all the oranges were just for me. I replied saying that there are 4 people at home that drink orange juice xD

Let's see... When I ask them, they say that is probably going to rise a bit more. I hope not.