(safe) Orange juice flasks

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
dionysus
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by dionysus »

That makes sense Avo 8)
Negativity is the cult of the weak
RRM
Administrator

Re: Orange juice flasks

Post by RRM »

From a different thread
djkvan wrote:I drink juice out of plastic squeeze bottles everyday and was concerned that my containers might be posing a risk to my health. Here is a site which will provide helpful information to anyone who may share my concerns.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/5095671/Safer ... Containers
djkvan

Re: (safe) Orange juice flasks

Post by djkvan »

My squeeze bottles are the kind you buy for cycling. I paid about three buck for each 750mL bottle and they work great! The lid has a nipple which you pull open and push closed. very easy to use and clean. :)
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
summerwave

Post by summerwave »

The best part is the bite valve design---

The user doesn't have to tip back her/his head to drink, but simply bites down, which draws the liquid up.

You can use it in class or in other places where it would be impolite/out of place to keep tipping one's head back to drink from a water/juice bottle. Also, if you are in a car (in traffic, or driving very slowly when other drivers are not around in numbers), you can do the same, which is much safer than tilting your head back (taking eyes off the road!) to drink from a non-bite bottle.
summerwave

Post by summerwave »

(I tried to edit the above to add an observation, but the b-board software doesn't allow it)--

I wished to add that I would like to make, or find, a tall bite-valve container divided into two vertical compartments:

That way one could stock both juice and clear water at once, instead of using separate bottles. The plain water would be to rinse the teeth after taking a sip of acidic juice to neutralize the acid, which can harm teeth.

It might be equipped with 2 bite-valve openings, or just one swiveling one. If the latter, it might work like a salt-shaker with various hole sizes on top for dispensing various amounts that one just "dials" around the top.

I've seen plastic tall containers like this for taking dry baby formula along outside the home along with an adjacent vertical container of hot water. They are like a thermos with I think three vertical compartments total.

But they are small-volume (tall and thin, like an iced-tea glass) and do not have any openings on top to drink from, bite-valve or otherwise. They are meant for mixing, then decanting the mixture into a separate bottle for feeding. And the one I saw was made of a pretty cheap plastic without the usual "BPA-free" disclaimers.

Some dentist (hint, hint) could develop & market such a container... "Dr Oscar's brand" for healthy teeth, eh?
;D
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

summerwave wrote:You can use it in class or in other places where it would be impolite/out of place to keep tipping one's head back to drink from a water/juice bottle
That is quite considerate of you, summerwave, but it I still have to shake my OJ/OO/sugar mix before every sip, bitevalve or no, which can be equally if not more disruptive because of the noise/movement, I think. Besides, I am only taking about 6 sips an hour, so I am hoping this isn't too disruptive for the average patient human being in a lecture hall.
summerwave wrote:The plain water would be to rinse the teeth after taking a sip of acidic juice to neutralize the acid, which can harm teeth.
. :wink:

This sounds like a lot of work, though I suppose one could get used it. I would be more likely to wait until my oranges are very ripe and sweet to minimize the acidity or perhaps water it down to dilute the acid. Since starting Wai just over two months ago, I have suffered some enamel erosion and have experienced some initial pain because of it. The pain in the last few weeks seems to have diminished so there must be some kind of habituation, numbing or healing going on. The teeth which have exposed dentin (from old and new damage) don't appear to be developing cavities, so I am not concerned at this point and can tolerate the odd discomfort from cold/pressure/wind. :|
summerwave

Post by summerwave »

More than considerate, it is practical because I have had leaks (or a few times, the entire cap came off a drinking container, dousing me with juice) in past....

I just swirl it in the container. Also, I use dextrose (very finely powdered) or confectioner's (caster I think it is called elsewhere) sugar so it dissolves very, very well, and make it at a temperature that aids in the dissolving process.

It's not really very complex-- a 2-chambered container with 2 separate openings!

It is true that it's hard to get fruit that is as ripe as it should be-- it is a constant search. Rinsing teeth does help; it is recommended as a simple way to offset acidity affecting teeth. It is good to be observant in all things with the body, as you are.
panacea

Post by panacea »

I don't get the bite valve thing. what's the difference of it between a straw?
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

I am on my laptop in the library right now sitting shoulder to shoulder with people who seem oblivious (I am noticing) to my sipping/bottle shaking. In fact, one just tipped his head back to take a sip of his coffee. I imagine I notice his sipping as much as he notices mine: in a peripheral, filterable stimulus kinda way.
summerwave wrote:a few times, the entire cap came off a drinking container, dousing me with juice
:lol: I'm sorry for laughing, but that is just funny. Hopefully your clothes survived and you weren't too embarassed at the time.

What if, instead of a dual-chambered drink container you were to buy a foam dome...http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http ... CCQQ9QEwAg
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

panacea wrote:I don't get the bite valve thing. what's the difference of it between a straw?
Although more expensive, bitevalves more convenient as you have to mess around with a straw (i.e. removing, replacing, spilling).
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hahaha! ME, a business man?? :roll:

I'm still quite happy with my Camelbak Performance bottle. It doesn't leak, though from time to time you have to change the bite valve (once per year?).
After some shaking in the beginning, my table sugar is completely dissolved. I hardly shake after that, not even to mix the olive oil.
summerwave

Post by summerwave »

To be a freelance musician you have to be enterprising already, no?

I have a Camelbak too....

The valve can get a little moldy inside (the hard part with the channel through to the bottle, not the softer silicon bite "sleeve" that goes over it....)

I clean it a variety of ways, usually threading something through it or using various disinfectants like iodine solution. I also have a small inventory of replacement straws and silicon bite sleeves that can be easily purchased. The entire top when assembled has a pretty standard circumference that can go on a variety of other drink containers, though the screw threads have to match up (not hard).

If they are shorter containers, just cut down the straw, cutting straight across it with a knife.

I've found due to fermentation of juice; cleaning the top, etc., it is best for me to have 3-4 shorter bottles (6 ounce size) in circulation at once with various juice/sugar/oil mixes in them rather than 1 tall one. I even found a glass jar with the right type of screw threads that I can add the top to.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Enterprising, well, you have to "sell" yourself to be successful; I guess that's why I'm not that successful ;)

Moldy? Really? I clean the smaller openings and straws with pipe cleaners. I just noticed they now sell 5-pack bite-valves, that's great, because I don't really need to replace my straws. I'm using two 22 oz bottles...isn't 6 oz terribly small??
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

djkvan wrote:
summerwave wrote:You can use it in class or in other places where it would be impolite/out of place to keep tipping one's head back to drink from a water/juice bottle
That is quite considerate of you, summerwave, but it I still have to shake my OJ/OO/sugar mix before every sip, bitevalve or no, which can be equally if not more disruptive because of the noise/movement, I think. Besides, I am only taking about 6 sips an hour, so I am hoping this isn't too disruptive for the average patient human being in a lecture hall.
haha I remember being in lecture and carrying my 1.89L Carton of OJ with OO and sugar in it. I usually asked questions requiring long drawn out answers that are not on the test and that only me and the prof cared about. I knew people found this annoying but I found it annoying when people asked questions that were clearly answered in the text book (although I often didn't read the text book, and only ever the parts I was interested in, not what we were expected to read for the tests). People actually thought the juice carton was cool, and would ask me about it, but than when I told them it had olive oil in it, and that I live off fruit and eggyolks, that I believe that most of what they know about food (and life) is a lie, and that I wear fingerless gloves not to look cool, but because I have a repetitive strain injury from piano, and that I'm a kindof a communist and an anarchist, and than after I answer their questions honestly for a few more minutes, they come to the conclusion that I'm completely insane :)

So back to the juice container, I like the idea of something like this http://www.camelbak.com/en/sports-recre ... -only.aspx

Holds 2 liters, so I'm good if I'm out all day. If only I could put my 18" Laptop into it. . .

or this http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreati ... -mens.aspx

I wonder if I could carry kids on my back while wearing that.

Also, what do you think about the stainless steel bottles, any reason why not to use them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dime

Alu bottle

Post by dime »

I have something like an aluminium bottle (it's not possible to see what's inside), and straws fit perfectly in it.