Unpasteurised Valencia Orange Juice available at Tesco (UK)

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
dionysus
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Unpasteurised Valencia Orange Juice available at Tesco (UK)

Post by dionysus »

Picked up a "What's new and seasonal in store now..." magazine from Tesco supermarket today.

To my nice suprise they now stock:

-Unpasteurised Valencia Orange Juice
-Unpasteurised Valencia Orange & Alphonso Mango Juice
-Unpasteurised Valencia Orange & Raspberry Juice (this one is a no-no)

This is a little of the text that is in the magazine:

"All these juices are bottled within hours of squeezing. Made with the juice of sun-riped oranges..."

The plus point of all this is that the oranges will be ripe and hopefully take the acidity problem out of the equation.

Can anyone see why these orange juices may not work on the Wai Diet?

The thing is, my freshly squeezed OJ goes off after 1 1/2 - 2 days. So if this Tesco Unpasteurised OJ has a shelf life a lot longer than this then it doesn't really seem right.

Maybe they create a vacumm in the packaging or something...will check it out over the next few days.

To be honest, juicing only takes 20 mins a day so its not really a big deal. Plus this Tesco Unpasteurised OJ works out slightly more expense, but only about 10p though. Haha
Negativity is the cult of the weak
Christina

Post by Christina »

Does it contain any preservatives?
One problem is, that juice looses it's enzyme content over time. I've heard, not to drink juice later that 1 day old.
But lets see what the experts say.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Don't think it contains anything but OJ. Will check it soon.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

So i bought some of the OJ and it seems legit. Nothing else added. Not be pasteurised.

Has a best before of 17 Oct (which is 5 days from now). Used within 3 days of opening.

Says it is bottled within hours of squeezing.

It says this on the bottle:

"The OJ is unpasteurised (not heat treated) so it is as natural as you can get..."

Though it says the OJ should be used within 3 days of opening it also says keep refrigerated which i won't be doing, therefore it will probably fall in line with my usuall "OJ only last about 1 1/2 days" theory.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Little quote from Wai which makes me a little less cautious. The topic is, of course, why pasteurisation may cause acne:
"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it because from the heat that is used?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. Commercial OJ always has received some heat treatment to increase shelf life. Really raw fresh orange juice is deteriorated before it is sold, unless 'pressed on the spot'
The Tesco OJ i mentioned above is pressed "within hours". I wonder why this makes a difference?

But then see says..
unpasteurized NOT necessarily means "raw"
so, be VERY careful
This is from Jay on "De-aerated" technique that is use to increase the shelf life of unpasturised OJ:
Orange juice sold (usually in bottles not cartons) in stores as "unpasteurized" has had its shelf life increased by de-aeration NOT by heating (unless the makers are breaking the law).
Oranges remain alive after being picked and breathe in oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide so the whole fruit is absorbing air through its skin. When you juice the orange this air is in the juice and it reacts with the vitamin C, slowly destroying it and also other flavour compounds. By spraying the juice into a vacuum chamber or pumping it over cascades in a vacuum, this air is removed and if the juice is then put into airtight bottles its shelf life will be more than doubled, also at the end of its shelf life (ie on the "Use by" date) it will have much more vitamin C than unprocessed juice has after even one day. De-aerated juice "goes off" due to the growth of yeasts and (non-disease-causing but flavour-damaging) bacteria.
This process has been used for many decades and is surely beneficial except possibly to the flavour because a tiny amount of the most volatile compounds are removed by the vacuum pump. You can de-aerate juice at home using a vacuum wine-saver (eg Vacu-Vin). Two thirds fill a wine bottle with your fresh juice, pump, shake, pump again.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Tried the juice. Tasted more acidic than my normal juice so thats the end of that.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Always good to hear such experiments being done. :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Christina wrote:juice looses it's enzyme content over time. I've heard, not to drink juice later that 1 day old.
That sounds like 'the old raw food doctrine' that tried to explain why raw food is better than cooked food. It never made sense to me, as we dont need to ingest enzymes from food. All the enzymes we need are composed inside our body. Co-enzymes that our body cannot always produce in sufficient quantities (or not at all), are called vitamins. Vitamins are only partially destroyed by cooking.
Once you know that cooking gives rise to toxic comounds, it seems to better explain why raw food is healthier than cooked food.
jfk

Re: Unpasteurised Valencia Orange Juice available at Tesco (

Post by jfk »

dionysus wrote: The thing is, my freshly squeezed OJ goes off after 1 1/2 - 2 days. So if this Tesco Unpasteurized OJ has a shelf life a lot longer than this then it doesn't really seem right.

Maybe they create a vacuum in the packaging or something...will check it out over the next few days.

To be honest, juicing only takes 20 mins a day so its not really a big deal. Plus this Tesco Unpasteurised OJ works out slightly more expense, but only about 10p though. Haha
Hi, just thought I would say that M&S do an unpasteurized orange juice 1L, nothing added etc - they say the same thing as Tesco "use within three days of opening" but actually in my experience it does not last this long. I open it in the morning de-cant 500ml into another container and add oil. Then I put the rest back in the fridge for the next day. By the end of the next day the juice is ok but late into the evening it is tangy/off tasting. Also if you leave it out of the fridge it goes off in less than two days.

With regards to the vacuum packing, I can't remember where on the forum exactly but there was a discussion about the possibility of 5 day old vacuum packed unpasteurized juice and somebody responded to the original post saying that they had worked in a supermarket that made such a claim and that it was true from their experience. My instincts/taste buds trust the juice but... Also it would make it really difficult to stick to the diet if I couldn't use it b/c I don't have time/facility to juice oranges as I live on campus.

How much was the Tesco juice? The M&S one is 2.59 a L :roll: but I can't survive without it! It is the only thing I can sneak into lecture theatres - there is a strict 'No food or Drink' policy for health and safety reasons. They have plastered this msg all over the various departments so I feel like such a criminal :( what bugs me is that I don't see how it is a safety issue - note to self: - 'Do not leave the tiny orange juice bottle in the stairwell or obstructing exits as it may prevent the mass exodus of stampeding people should a fire occur!?! If it referred to ingesting potentially dangerous microbes/chemicals that may have been transferred to the bottle, then it is hardly an effective prevention. I probably get more germs from touching the door handle as I enter the room, they don't say 'sorry no unclean hands check them as you enter'. Jeeeeeez!

What a rant, it's obviously been building up.

Perhaps they fear we will suddenly revert back to a medieval stoning. If the professors make a mistake or set us too many assignments we might all launch into a food-slinging extravaganza. I'd be there at the helm; pieces of tom/avo/cuc salad hurtling through the air toward the lecturer's puny body - Yeah, sounds deadly!! Of course the oily orange juice would be perfect if you were really looking to make them suffer :lol: a little shocking perhaps, I mean what kind of a crazy person puts olive oil in juice? :wink:
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

The OJ at Tesco is about £1.89 per litre BUT it has 'bits' in it, not good. Does the M&S OJ have 'bits' in it?
jfk

Post by jfk »

dionysus wrote:The OJ at Tesco is about £1.89 per litre BUT it has 'bits' in it, not good. Does the M&S OJ have 'bits' in it?
There are variations depending on what is seasonal. Currently it is described as 'freshly squeezed Valencia orange juice - SMOOTH'. It is basically smooth but I definitely detect some bits. Of course one could always strain it if needs be, although that sort of defeats the point of it being highly convenient.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Thanks, its definetly something i will try especially for when i go travelling for hte weekend of something and don't time to juice. :)
jfk

Re: Unpasteurised Valencia Orange Juice available at Tesco (

Post by jfk »

jfk wrote:The M&S one is 2.59 a L :roll:
Sorry, typo, it is 2.49 - every penny counts, could mean an extra grape...