Acidic Oranges

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
dime
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Acidic Oranges

Post by dime »

I have ph test strips so I'll measure how much would be needed. I think ph 5-6 would be a good target, no need to completely deacidify it to 7+
I'm pretty low on sodium in my diet anyway (~100mg/day), so at least for me it shouldn't be a big problem.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

My mom had an acidity tester for the fish tank; it was designed for water to be poured into a vial, and a 3 drops of this chemical were added. If the water turned blue, it was alkaline, if yellow it was acidic. Of course it wouldn't test OJ because OJ is already yellow. We tried it anyway, and it didn't really change colour.

But we tested the tap water, and it turns out we have alkaline water; after it goes through our portable filter, it becomes even more alkaline. So I'm considering buying the Minute Maid low-acid orange juice concentrate, and making my own with the filtered water. If the water is about ph 7.8, do you think this will balance out to relatively neutral?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:I'm considering buying the Minute Maid low-acid orange juice concentrate, and making my own with the filtered water. If the water is about ph 7.8, do you think this will balance out to relatively neutral?
You can use the ph test strips to make sure.
Mr. PC

Re: Juice deacidification

Post by Mr. PC »

dime wrote:
dandate2 wrote:the juice stand i go to keeps giving me sour tasting pineapples. just wondering what the effect of that is.
Lower nutritional value and worse for your teeth.

Juice deacidification
Comparison of different methods for deacidification of clarified passion fruit juice
Doesn't seem very feasible to do it at home.. I hope engineers come up with some nice little machine that does this :)
Only feasible ways I found is adding calcuim carbonate or baking soda to the juice. But I wouldn't try doing this.
Are there any other negative side effects to adding calcium carbonate to OJ other than having too much calcium? Would calcium in this form be digested similarly to calcium occurring naturally in juice/milk, or would it be indigestible? Also, how much calcium would it take to de-acidify the juice? Maybe the calcium is less harmful than the acid, and I figure as long as I stay below half the RDA for calcium, it couldn't be too dangerously high, eh?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Sour juice means that the fruit was unripe, which means that it contains more antinutrients and less nutrients.
De-acidification makes the juice less acid, but does not make the juice any riper,
so that de-acidification is just fighting one symptom, of many.
Mr PC wrote:Would calcium in this form be digested similarly to calcium occurring naturally in juice/milk
Yes, the bioavailability of calcium carbonate is great.
Thats why it is often used to fortify food products to increase calcium intake. Ekbote VH et al
So, it would be much better to get ripe fruits instead.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

The thing is, I can get OJ concentrate for $1.25, and the amount of oranges it would take to make that would cost around $8.00

If I could afford it I would definitely juice fresh ripe oranges all the time, and eat as many avocados as I want, but I need a cheap alternative, and this seems to be the most affective way to reduce diet costs.

Now if the lack of nutrients / presence of anti-nutrients, were significant enough that it actually meant I was not actually paying significantly less per nutrient, or had to drink significantly more juice to get enough / the same amount of nutrients, than that would be a completely different story.
dime

Post by dime »

Mr. PC wrote:The thing is, I can get OJ concentrate for $1.25, and the amount of oranges it would take to make that would cost around $8.00
I don't get how this is possible? Either that concentrate is diluted with water, or some of it is made cheaper artificially, or?
Maybe it's made from overripe oranges that the markets didn't sell?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

They buy in large bulk, so that the oranges are much cheaper,
and yes, they also buy the oranges that nobody else wants.
dime

Post by dime »

If your orange juice is too acidic - you can add some baking soda.
For me 2-3g baking soda in 1L OJ completely neutralizes the acids.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Unfortunately, the levels of various other anti-nutrients (other than acids) are also much higher in unripe fruits.
dime

Post by dime »

Even ripe oranges can be pretty acidic at 3-4pH in my opinion. But maybe I'm wrong, I don't have so much experience with oranges :)
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Does it taste good ?
dime

Post by dime »

Kasper wrote:
Does it taste good ?
Yes, tastes great.
dime

Post by dime »

Actually the orange juice itself gets a bit fizzy and then tastes like soda, pretty much like Fanta :D
The oil and an egg yolk mask this more or less though.
dime

Post by dime »

Ok I can confirm: with time (2-3 weeks) even the most acidic oranges get really good. Then I need to use far less baking soda yet the OJ is much sweeter.

The downside is that some oranges will spoil really bad (they get all green), but this is like only 5% of the oranges which is very acceptable.