Acidic Oranges

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Mr. PC
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Oranges (acidity)

Post by Mr. PC »

Ah, yes, I should have got that.
Would I be right to assume that anything (ingested) that causes acne also causes water retention? And therefor if water retention is what irritates nerves when I over-strain my wrists, I should avoid anything acne-causing in order to avoid nerve-damage. Does that make sense?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote: Would I be right to assume that anything (ingested) that causes acne also causes water retention?
Not necessarily / to the same degree.
I found that with slightly too high protein intakes, initially only sebum production is increased,
maybe combined with just a little bit of water retention.
And therefor if water retention is what irritates nerves when I over-strain my wrists, I should avoid anything acne-causing in order to avoid nerve-damage. Does that make sense?
Over-straining your wrists (or other joints) causes water retention by itself (through corticosteroid activity).
I doubt that diet could solve anything here.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Well I mean, the diet has already done a lot for my wrists. I'm just assuming that it was the lack of water retention helping me. Even if repetitive usage was causing the swelling, this would be lessoned if my tissue was already swollen due to water retention, correct?

Or do you think it might be something else about the diet that's helping me, lack of sedatives? Over all health benefit causing my nerves to heal faster?

And does this mean that if acne isn't a concern for me, having blended fruit or pasteurized OJ isn't a worry? (other than acidity wearing at teeth).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:Even if repetitive usage was causing the swelling, this would be lessoned if my tissue was already swollen due to water retention, correct?
True, and the 'cleaning up hormones' are better able to eliminate the swelling caused by repetitive usage.
does this mean that if acne isn't a concern for me, having blended fruit or pasteurized OJ isn't a worry?
Maybe not, as there is a big difference between 99.999% and 100% strictness, as its about osmosis.
(the smaller the quantities of 'dirty protein', the greater their 'individual' influence)
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Ah yes, I remember reading on the forums someone who had claimed that 100% strictness made them feel significantly better than 99% strictness. Are you on the 100% RRM? Or was it you I remember mentioning eating carrots? So maybe I'm better off just eating whole oranges and not worrying about the fiber? I could drink sugar water throughout the day when this is too inconvenient and get all my nutrients in the evening. (after 6:00).
panacea

Post by panacea »

Please elaborate on that last part RRM, it's very interesting! What do you mean by 99.999% to 100% osmosis/dirty protein connection? What happens when on 100% that doesn't happen on 99.999% here? I understand you're saying the concept that even .0001% dirty protein has a significant bad effect but why, what's this osmosis thing and why is it affected by dirty protein? If you don't know the science lingo of it sorry I'm just curious.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yep, that was Gavriel's post. He didn't mention osmosis in there, but yeah, there is a big difference (getting rid of the last vestiges of the addiction for example).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Gavriel did not talk about osmosis, but the 99.999% versus 100% remark is also true regarding osmosis.
Thats why i used it.
Osmosis is the movement of water from an area of relatively less hydrophylic compounds (salt, protein)
to an area of relatively more hydrophylic compounds.
Osmosis is a passive process that doesnt require any energy.
When dirty protein is transported by the lymphe to the skin, its hydrophylic nature will cause local swelling.
When always much dirty protein is consumed, the one-time impact of consuming dirty protein may be insignificant.
If, however, your diet is 99.999% strict, your skin will be clear from dirty protein,
so that even a single dirty protein molecule will already have an osmotic (swelling) impact.
In as much as 2:1 is greater than 100,000:90,000

About Gavriel's remarks:
Regarding addiction its true because our receptors adjust their sensitivity to the the extend they are being triggered.
So that when you consume extremely little beta-carbolines, its receptors will be extremely sensitive,
and a tiny bit of munch food will still have a significant impact.
(as when normally consuming extremely little salt, adding a grain of salt will have a huge impact on your senses)
dandate2

effects of eating under-ripe fruit?

Post by dandate2 »

the juice stand i go to keeps giving me sour tasting pineapples. just wondering what the effect of that is.
dime

Juice deacidification

Post by dime »

dandate2 wrote:the juice stand i go to keeps giving me sour tasting pineapples. just wondering what the effect of that is.
Lower nutritional value and worse for your teeth.

Juice deacidification
Comparison of different methods for deacidification of clarified passion fruit juice
Doesn't seem very feasible to do it at home.. I hope engineers come up with some nice little machine that does this :)
Only feasible ways I found is adding calcuim carbonate or baking soda to the juice. But I wouldn't try doing this.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Juice deacidification

Post by RRM »

Fruit juice will be both more acidic and bitter if not ripened properly.
Many acids are supposed to be in the juice (ascorbic acid, panthotenic acid etc),
but others disappear as the fruit ripenes.
The same goes for a number of other, bitter tasting anti nutrients.
In as much as we cannot produce fruits from scratch, by building them some how,
i guess we might never be able to eliminate all unwanted acids and other anti nutrients without negatively altering nutrient contents.

Luckily, there is an easier way: natural and full ripening of fruits.
nowadays its a trend to sell fruits that look good but taste terrible,
but im pretty sure the demand for real fruits will increase at some point in time.
If not, one will have to grow their own fruits...
Mr. PC

Re: Juice deacidification

Post by Mr. PC »

dime wrote:
Juice deacidification
Comparison of different methods for deacidification of clarified passion fruit juice
Doesn't seem very feasible to do it at home.. I hope engineers come up with some nice little machine that does this :)
Only feasible ways I found is adding calcuim carbonate or baking soda to the juice. But I wouldn't try doing this.

Why wouldn't you try doing this?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Acidic Oranges

Post by RRM »

Too much calcium is not good for you.
dime

Post by dime »

Hmm but actually deacidification with baking soda should work fine. Sodium bicarbonate is NaHCO3, in reaction with the OJ acids it will create some salts with PH > 7, water and CO2:

ascorbic acid + sodium bicarbonate = sodium ascorbate + carbon dioxide + water
citric acid + sodium bicarbonate = trisodium citrate + carbon dioxide + water

Sodium ascorbate is a more bioavailable form of vitamin C (according to wiki), and trisodium citrate seems to be also safe. Not sure what other acids are there in oranges though.

I'll definitely try this out, hopefully the juice won't come out too salty :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

In theory, maybe. But how much baking soda would be required to effectively deacidify 1 L of acidic OJ, in practise?
If you are prone to acne, the extra sodium may cause acne.