Store bought juice

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
mario91
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Store bought juice

Post by mario91 »

Ok people... I'm here to "rectify" my last post, and tell you a bit about my late experiences.

With a more active lifestyle that I've been leading in the past times, I absolutely have the need to consume liters of juice a day. Much pratically than dried fruit, much lighter for my stomach, and much tastier in my personal opinion.

So few months ago I began juicing. I bought a citrus presser and a centrifugal juicer. They do very well, and where cheap, but the thing is... I'm not satisfied with juicing. I do lots of stuff in my life, have very little free time, and juicing would take me sometimes almost an hour a day, with all the cleaning, peeling, bottling, etc etc etc.
Plus, getting loads of fruits, and then some wouldn't be of good quality, some would get spolied... Overall, lots and lots of contingencies.

So I decided to start trying store bought juice again.

I really wouldn't touch tropicana or any other pseudo-fresh stuff. A company near me sells cheap 100% fresh cold pressed apple juice, but it's made with the peels of unorganic apples, so that it's loaded with pesticides, and makes me feel very, very sick.

One good thing I found near me was 100% fresh, unpasteurized, frozen orange juice. Cheap, 2€/liter, and very, very tasty.
But after a week of buying (loads of it), they begin selling it unriped, with yellow color instead of the previous orange color. I bought one and - I was correct, completely unripen, garbage.

So, finally, I started trying juice from concentrate (100%, no addicitves). Google told me it was only pasteurized for 20-30secs to about 85ºC, so it shouldn't have that much dirty protein and all the other nasty susbstances of cooking. I've been drinking 3 liters a day, for a week now. I've been buying supermarkets' brand, tutti frutti, which is good for nutrition. This one is absolutely delicious, but that are some who taste really bad indeed, specially orange. And it's very, very cheap - 0.66€ a liter.

Till now I see no difference in my skin (and I have shitty burned skin, very susceptible to acne and irritation/inflammation), mood, sleep, etc.
Do you guys think it could do any difference? Do you guys think this juice is much unhealthy?

I'll make another post some few weeks later.
Cheers!
overkees

Post by overkees »

Well there are of course less nutrients in it, it's about 1/2 to 3/4 of the normal content I saw at nutrition information sides (various). Some vitamins will be more sensitive, vitamin C is the most sensitive one. The minerals are not spoiled so this should be close to the normal fresh content.

However the protein quality is rubbish, neglectible. So there will always be DP, but if it's distributed evenly with so little proteins it might not cause acne very rapidly. I think you will develop some acne eventually, as you said you're very sensitive. But let's see what happens. I think it's a good low budget alternative and when you eat a lot of yolks and fish or meat you will have no problem with the protein quality regarding rebuilding purposes.

You could also alternate day by day. I always make 6 L of orange juice at once. I also eat a lot of bananas, bananas are really easy to transport. So I go to the supermarket twice a week with the bicycle and a pack I clip on the bike and buy the discount sales, even if it's 6 km's from my location (12 forth and back). It costs me 2 hours to make 6L of oranges and I can clean up very easily, I use the Hurom slow juicer and need to cut the oranges in 4 parts and take the insides out. I'm willing to give up some of my free time for this. But I can imagine if you drink 3L a day you don't want to invest so much time. I only drink 1.5L orange juice a day and at least 5 bananas and some dried fruits.

You can also buy some lemons and make lemonade with added sugar and oil if it's only for energy purposes. This tastes delicious and you need only a very small amount of olive oil.
mario91

Post by mario91 »

overkees wrote:Well there are of course less nutrients in it, it's about 1/2 to 3/4 of the normal content I saw at nutrition information sides (various). Some vitamins will be more sensitive, vitamin C is the most sensitive one. The minerals are not spoiled so this should be close to the normal fresh content.
Yeah, I have read on that too. 1/2 to 3/4 seems reasonable for me, since I add little oil and eat lots of yolks and meat.
overkees wrote: However the protein quality is rubbish, neglectible. So there will always be DP, but if it's distributed evenly with so little proteins it might not cause acne very rapidly. I think you will develop some acne eventually, as you said you're very sensitive. But let's see what happens. I think it's a good low budget alternative and when you eat a lot of yolks and fish or meat you will have no problem with the protein quality regarding rebuilding purposes.

Nice to know that too. Yeah, again I eat loads of eggs and meat, what concerns me the most is the harmful health effects it might have... but if it's only cooked at 85ºC for 20secs shouldn't generate that much harmful compounds, I guess...! At least I don't feel bad for drinking it, and once in a while I eat some dark chocolate (no milk, low protein) and feel notoriously sick after.
overkees wrote: You could also alternate day by day. I always make 6 L of orange juice at once. I also eat a lot of bananas, bananas are really easy to transport. So I go to the supermarket twice a week with the bicycle and a pack I clip on the bike and buy the discount sales, even if it's 6 km's from my location (12 forth and back). It costs me 2 hours to make 6L of oranges and I can clean up very easily, I use the Hurom slow juicer and need to cut the oranges in 4 parts and take the insides out. I'm willing to give up some of my free time for this. But I can imagine if you drink 3L a day you don't want to invest so much time. I only drink 1.5L orange juice a day and at least 5 bananas and some dried fruits.
Bananas are good yeah, I always take some with the juice also! But not nearly as pratical as juice, so I don't eat more than like 2 a day when I'm out.
Wow, you make quite some effort carrying it! I always order my stuff online :P Saves a lot of time, muscle effort, and it's a cheap service.
The thing is both my juicers stopped working well (the presser doesn't press the whole orange, wastes a lot, and the centrifugal rips plastic splinters into the juice) and I don't know where/don't have patience to get them fixed. Plus all the mess they make - they ruin my kitchen. If I had a Hurom it would be better yeah, but it's too expensive for me. And even juicing fruits was becoming too expensive. I could only juice oranges and bananas, the rest are far too expensive by this time (except apples and pears, but got that pesticide problem and are low in micronutrients), so I was sick of oranges and bananas already.
overkees wrote: You can also buy some lemons and make lemonade with added sugar and oil if it's only for energy purposes. This tastes delicious and you need only a very small amount of olive oil.
Yes but this would provide me very little micronutrients. Not good in a long term. I already add little oil to my juices because of it.
mario91

Post by mario91 »

2 weeks after drinking 3 liters a day of store bought pasteurized juice from concentrate, I began having acne again. I get no big pimples, but my skin retains lots of water, and has been developing that raw, inflamed look it had before I started Wai diet. Also feels "acidic" at times, just like it used to before I started Wai.
But by now my life is kinda messy and I don't have the patience to start juicing again, so I'll keep doing this for a little bit longer.
(I've also been eating dried meat but it can't be from that, since it's only dried at 57º, and even too much meat never made me any changes in skin condition. And I really feel it's from the juice.)
mario91

Post by mario91 »

Recently I've found a really handy, delicious tropicana-like juice.
It's cheap (2€/litre) , and the great thing is that it's got 5 vitamins added - A, C, B1, B6 and B9. In quite moderate amounts (about 150%DDR per litre). This is great because the body can produce B3 and B7 from certain protein, and also K. D you get from the sun. B12 you get very easily from a bit of animal food. So, only B5, B2 and E are left. So, sipping this juice with almonds through a working/studying day (almonds got lots of B2 and E) seems excellent in terms of getting vitamins. And it's very practical.
I guess the juice is flash-pasteurized (only heated to about 70ºC), so that's another good thing.
The only thing I'm afraid is the flavor chemicals they add to the package. I really don't know how bad they can be for health.

What do you guys think about all this?
dime

Post by dime »

It's certainly heated, otherwise why the hell would they add vitamin C to orange juice?? :D
mario91

Post by mario91 »

dime wrote:It's certainly heated, otherwise why the hell would they add vitamin C to orange juice?? :D
You're right dime, it must take a stronger heat than 70ºC perhaps.

Anyway, the thing that bothers me the most is the artificial flavors in the package.
I've searched and didn't find almost anything about it... only a study where they gave Ethyl butyrate (the one used for orange flavor, but this juice i'm talking about is multifruit, so it might have a few more) to a few rats for 15 days, and no adverse effects where detected.

study: http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/j ... 4aje10.htm

Quite vague, since I can't even find how much ethyl butyrate do they add to this kind of juices.
RRM
Administrator

Acrylamide in prune juice

Post by RRM »

Store bought juices may contain quite some acrylamide, a carcinogenic.
Prune juice typically contains 186 to 916 µg acrylamide/kg.
Thats because juice may contain relatively much free asparagine (and other free amino acids),
and also free simple sugars, which readily forms acrylamide when heat-processed.
The amount of free asparagine and -simple sugars is an indication of the amount of acrylamide that will be formed,
and in fruits/berries/juices obviously asparagine is the limiting factor.
See the WaiWiki page about acrylamide: http://www.waiwiki.org/index.php/Acrylamide

In Souci SW et al, Food Composition and Nutrition Tabels there is very little data available about free asparagine in foods:
black elderberries: average 7 mg / 100 g, up to max. 17.7 mg / 100 g.
bananas: average 12.4 mg / 100 g. (no max. listed)
mango: average 0.67 mg / 100 g (no max. listed).
rasberry juice: average 88.5 mg / 100 g, up to max. 181.3 mg / 100g.
granadilla juice: up to max. 0.03 mg / 100 g. (no average listed)
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

The wiki says acrylamide decomposes in the presence of acids, does that mean it will decompose in OJ?

Also, here are some links comparing 'raw orange juice' which I assume means juice made fresh, and 'orange juice drink' which I assume means stuff like tropicana, although for the life of me I can't find any more info on what those actually mean. I also don't know how the info is calculated (hopefully from products taken off the shelf of a grocery store). Skip the pie is easier to read, while NDB has more up to date info, but otherwise they give the same.

http://skipthepie.org/fruits-and-fruit- ... juice-raw/
http://skipthepie.org/beverages/orange-juice-drink/

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/ ... ange+juice
http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/ ... ange+juice
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:The wiki says acrylamide decomposes in the presence of acids, does that mean it will decompose in OJ?
Only to some extend, as acrylamide is present in bottled juices, in the presence of acids.